[0.22.X] BobCat ind. Historical spacecraft thread

BobCat

He's currently working on new HOME stuff, and a new DEMV rover. You can go and take a look at the Development Thread if you fancy it. :)

Also, for all American Pack lovers, check this out: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/41246-WIP-Space-Launch-System-%28SLS%29-and-ORION-%28MPCV%29

It's not available just yet, but it clearly won't be long untill an official release!

can't wait

After digging a couple parts out of an older pack (the launch probe and the ASAS) I'm assembling MIR in a low Kerbin orbit. I wanted to do it at 120+ km, but the Proton realistically only has fuel to get a 13t payload to about 80-ish km.

I don't know if it's the old ASAS or what, but the Proton handles like a suka ÑÂуúð. So I have decided to use the recommended MJ ascent profile (modified for a little higher than 70km altitude). I don't feel too guilty using autopilot to launch a station that, let's be honest, was totally launched by autopilot after all. :)

IS the Soviet Pack know to conflict with other mods? I keep crashing when attempting to doc Mir pieces or switching camera views. Very odd.

Are you getting crashes when loading up on the launch pad as well?

For me, I couldn't use just part of the Soviet Pack (Soyuz/Progress) with a medium-size mod collection (KW, Kosmos, KAS, Hooligan) without crashes 3/5 of the time I switched. Just too memory extensive. Installing the entire pack broke the game immediately.

Argh. So I got the MIR core into orbit yesterday, and when I unfurled the solar panels today I realized the top panel is on incorrectly. Instead of extending to zenith, it extends to the fore. Would EVA fix it? Well, amusingly, the launch probe has a passenger capacity of 3 (why?) so unknowingly, Bill, Bob, and Jeb had stowed away for the launch. After an EVA attempt, I discovered the panel could not be relocated. Maybe it's because I don't have KAS installed.

Anyhow, I need to edit the config for the launch probe - there's no reason that it should have a crew capacity at all, since the idea is for it to allow unmanned launches. [EDIT: Hmmm, I don't see a way to control the crew capacity at all, aside from the minimum). And if I can't fix the panel with EVA, I'll have to find a way to rescue those idiots (probably with a remotely controlled Soyuz) before I terminate this and try again.

Edited by HeadHunter67

Well you used the Mir Probe, that is not included in the newest version. But yeah the old one had the wrong cfg value on it.

All you need to do is add the following line:

CrewCapacity = 0

(EDIT: Its case sensitive so type it exactly as here)

Anywhere is fine, but i just put it under the // --- internal setup --- line.

Now the problem is, this will fix the part only for any new launches. But im not sure that it will help you with the part that is already on a ship flying, since they tend to keep the values they had when you launch them.

As for EVA, well here we have other problems. First of all i dont think you can EVA the crew out of the pod anyway, since it doesnt have an airlock, and secondly im not sure that the KAS plugin works atm, because Bobcats included version in the old packs isnt compatible. Dunno if you got an updated one from the respective thread, i didnt keep an eye on it so i dunno.

So anyway, if you want to rescue the lads, i think only solution is to dock something with it, and bring the probe back for Recover mode.

Ah and btw, just for reference, i always keep an eye on the new crew screen, just before i launch something, to make sure i dont get any crew where it shouldnt be.

Edited by Thourion

Thanks for the advice. For some reason, icons for crew in the launch probe aren't shown - so if you don't catch them and kick them out in the VAB (or Crew Manifest) they can stow away unseen.

I did fix the capacity for future launches, and eventually just terminated the current flight and let Bill, Bob and Jeb "regenerate".

I was able to EVA out of the station (the door looks too small for an entry but I know where it is now) and was able to move them from the launch probe into the station with Crew Manifest. Hopefully upcoming versions of KSP will let us move personnel through docking ports - and hopefully the next release of the Soviet Pack will have updated craft files with the Mir top panel aligned properly and the Kvant panels in place, a means of unmanned launch and assembly, and fix the little things that make building MIR a PITA. :cool:

Also, do I need the Romfarer stuff to use the Buran arm, or is it really only needed for the camera for the arm and docking? I'd like to take that stuff out if it isn't necessary.

Edited by HeadHunter67

A: ...For some reason, icons for crew in the launch probe aren't shown...

B ...do I need the Romfarer stuff to use the Buran arm...

A: Yeah thats because the probe doesnt have IVA view. And that also is true for any other manned part that doesnt have IVA.

B: Hmm im pretty sure that without Romfs plugin, you wont be able to manipulate the arm. You might wanna check it though like with a BURAN on the runway after you remove the plugin, but yeah i dont think it will happen.

Ah and yeah i was about to edit my post, to say about the Crew Manifest mod, but you got it first ;)

Edited by Thourion

Okay, things are moving along well. I launched the Kvant module (with solars already attached) and also the third-party Mir Docking Module (looks big, but I'm worried that rescaling would mess up the docking port ends). I know the docking module didn't historically go up until after Kristall, but Kvant was the only flight that had the available payload space (I'm not launching a flight just to attach a 3-ton module). I can relocate it later.

However, I did have a weird thing happen while doing the rendezvous. I switched over to the station and it was spinning wildly, and threw off an ASAS module. I don't know if it was related to the old Mir ASAS or not (though I have updated the .cfg as others advised) but reverting to a previous save and then going to Space Center before switching to the station seemed to remedy it. Sounds like a glitch in the game's physics when switching from one nearby vessel to another.

Also, I'm not sure how to get the launch probe out of the way when docking Kvant-2, Priroda or Spektr, as it's on top of the docking port and as soon as I decouple it (so that I can use the port), the craft is uncontrolled. I hope it doesn't mean I have to bring the station to it! [EDIT: At some point in the process... it does. So I got as close as possible, jettisoned the probe and switched to the core to complete the process.]

im pretty sure that without Romfs plugin, you wont be able to manipulate the arm. You might wanna check it though like with a BURAN on the runway after you remove the plugin

I don't mind leaving the plugin, just wondering if I have need for all the other Romfarer stuff - as I don't intend to use the camera for docking at all.

Edited by HeadHunter67

Check out the ICBM mod that's currently in development. Since Dnepr is derived from the R-36M, it'd pretty much only take replacing the warhead with a PLF to convert it.

I discovered, to my dismay, that the Soyuz LES may be too powerful. When I go to jettison it after successfully reaching orbit, it rips my docking port off (even though "decouple node" is in the same action group as activating the LES). Had to redo a launch after I found myself without the means of docking with Mir. Perhaps it could be given a "jettison" menu action that separates it and then fires its engine?

Edited by HeadHunter67

Lately when I download this mod, the game wont load all the way. Without it though it loads at normal speed. so Idk is causing this

Your ksp is running of RAM, it can only handle 3.5 gigs ish before it quits out. Try removing some mods, it should help.

Your ksp is running of RAM, it can only handle 3.5 gigs ish before it quits out. Try removing some mods, it should help.

I only have 1.6 gigs in my ksp osx file. Should the soviet pack really be takeing up that much space?

Keep in mind that the Squad folder in GameData takes up over 700MB. So a 350MB mod means you're almost 3/4 of the way to 1.6GB of file space.

I found the easiest thing to do was to delete the IVAs that I never intend to use in the Squad folder - saved me over 200MB.

But yes, basically the only major mods I have in my build are this and KOSMOS and I'm scraping the limit.

Yes, I think a R-36M without warhead is already a Dnepr...

I don't know, what else makes the difference.

8TeLGQ4.jpg

I can take my R-36M and put a sattelite on the top instead of the warhead.

cheers,

Themorris

The third stage is also slightly different why I don't know but it is.

When the R-36M is finished, I'll take a look at the third stage of the Dnepr, I have some nice pictures of the fairings.

Right now, I've finished the only the normalmaps of the main engine, the fueltank and the kickstage. Also I could see, that the Dnepr jettisons some rings on start. I think I'll add them, too, so I can attach struts between them. This would prevent the rocket from whobbling on the launch.

I don't think that I get much work done on the weekend, but It's a slow but sure progress.

Cheers

Themorris

Just so everyone is clear BobCat Stated a couple of pages back on either this forum or his other thread, that he is still on vacation and is doing no work on any of his parts until he returns. I haven't seen a single sign that he is back yet so just chill out everyone!