[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

I am having a bit of an issue. I would like to use FASA and the stand alone APOLLO mods together. I have deleted the folders out of FASA that is posted on the APOLLO thread but I am still having 1 big issue. It seems the oxygen gauge that is in the center of the LEM has grown to an enormous size. I have installed each mod by themselves and they each function correctly. This only happens when I combine them and remove the suggested files.

What I would like to know is, what is really needed to remove from FASA to make the stand along Apollo mod work?

Im not sure which Apollo mod your talking about could you provide a link. Also did you ask why it is happening on the Apollo mod's thread? I don't have anything to do with that mod and really have no idea what they are asking you to do to FASA or why its not working.

Im not sure which Apollo mod your talking about could you provide a link. Also did you ask why it is happening on the Apollo mod's thread? I don't have anything to do with that mod and really have no idea what they are asking you to do to FASA or why its not working.

Hello Frizzank

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/70557

These are the files they are asking to remove.

NOTE! Also if you have FASA pack you must remove CSM docking device, LEM itself and LEM's internals folders from FASA directory. Otherwise you will have unexpected issues.

LEMissue_zpscfc565e0.jpg

Edited by AtomicFrawg

Yea me and denny's mod are not really made to be mixed together. But if you absolutely had to I would start with his mod as a base and then add in the parts you wanted from my mod. Also he may not be using the latest RPM as I just updated all of mine so you may be getting duplicates from those folders.

Also updated kerbal stuff and Curse, though curse will be delayed as always 24 hr.

[Moderator removed defunct website link]

Edited by James Kerman
link removed

The next two stages are very similar to Saturn V ones. You can already make them.

Actually Stage two of the Nova is a widened Saturn Stage two and the stage three of the Nova is a stretched Third stage Saturn tank. You can make the third stage tank by just putting two third stage Saturn tanks on top of each other but the Nova SII we can't make.

Yea me and denny's mod are not really made to be mixed together. But if you absolutely had to I would start with his mod as a base and then add in the parts you wanted from my mod. Also he may not be using the latest RPM as I just updated all of mine so you may be getting duplicates from those folders.

Also updated kerbal stuff and Curse, though curse will be delayed as always 24 hr.

http://beta.kerbalstuff.com/mod/27/FASA

awe man OK. Thanks for the help. It seems I will just stick to your pack as I have been using it since your first release. :)

Mod efficiency-

With all the talk about the 64 bit version of KSP and increased memory limit I wanted to know how FASA stacked up.

Currently FASA sits at 196 parts and 262 mb, it uses about 1.3 mb per part.

Sqaud gives you a 170 parts at a whopping 762mb, giving 4.48 mb per part.

This means that FASA is almost 4 times as efficient as the stock parts.

FASA gives you more parts and sits at almost a forth the size on your computer. Think about that the next time you talk about FASA taking up too much memory.

Mod efficiency-

With all the talk about the 64 bit version of KSP and increased memory limit I wanted to know how FASA stacked up.

Currently FASA sits at 196 parts and 262 mb, it uses about 1.3 mb per part.

Sqaud gives you a 170 parts at a whopping 762mb, giving 4.48 mb per part.

This means that FASA is almost 4 times as efficient as the stock parts.

FASA gives you more parts and sits at almost a forth the size on your computer. Think about that the next time you talk about FASA taking up too much memory.

Actually, the size on your computer doesn't really matter. What does matter is how much RAM it takes up when loaded into KSP, which can be very different from the hard drive size. The reason that the SQUAD folder takes up so much space on the hard drive is that they use .mbm's for their textures, where FASA uses .tga's. .tga's are much smaller than .mbm's. However, I found out that the texture of the S-II stage can easily be reduced to 1024*1024 with no visible loss in quality in-game. This will free up 3 MB of RAM (less if ATM is used) with no noticeable consequences. I have reduced its texture to 1024 AND I am playing with half res textures, so it's equivalent to 512*512 on full res. So you can safely reduce its texture to 1024 without compromising texture quality.

My point was that I am sharing several textures between parts that give me some savings and efficiency at a really high quality level. The stock game, as far as I know, does not share textures.

That texture sheet is being shared between several different parts so really it's not one part with that sized texture. Also giving you one texture call for all the parts that use it, saving a bit more on performance.

Generally its better to combine things on too one texture than to have several textures.

Originally I had several Apollo parts at a lower resolution size but I did not like the drop in quality. It was not really noticeable at normal resolutions but I run the game on a 24" monitor and at 1920 x 1200 resolution. So it was noticeable to me and bugged me a bit so I upped the resolution. But yes it is a Fat texture....

I would be curious to know what the memory usage is for just the stock game parts.

Edited by frizzank

It also depends on whether a texture uses an alpha channel (and will be compressed to DXT5) or does not (and will be compressed to DXT1). DXT5 takes up twice the space per pixel in RAM.

Further, normal maps will not be compressed in memory (they will sit as RGB24 or RGBA32), and further-further unless you have ATM installed, tgas will not be compressed ingame, which means they too will stay as RGB24 or RGBA32, i.e. their uncompressed size on disk (note, even if you keep them on disk as run-length compressed, IIRC).

The only *real* way to tell how much RAM FASA uses is start a stock KSP install, launch it, check memory usage in VAB. Quit, install FASA, retest.

And yes, reusing textures is wonderful and should be done all the time, and frizzank, you're doing a BOSS job of that. Just adding more info. :]

May I ask how the Saturn-V Moblile Moving Platform is getting along? Or did you abandon that?

Friz was never making that. The guy making a crawler for KSP has left us for better things, and his mod is open source...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.