[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

I'm trying to build a Saturn-Centaur by placing the Centaur Gemini upper stage atop the S-IVB. This would have been able to launch a 7,000-pound spacecraft to Saturn in just two years. According to study drawings, the rocket used what looks like the Skylab fairing:

saturn.jpg

I'd love to see this fairing made available. I wouldn't be surprised if it's been requested, but 300+ pages, ouch.

Do any other mods offer the part? I know some others were working on Skylabs, hopefully to fit the FASA Saturn rockets.

I also need to figure out why my Apollo 9 1B (added the CSM to AS-204) is not reaching orbit...

That fairing looks almost exactly like the 3.75 meter fairings in the KW Rocketry pack, so you could probrably just put that on top of the Saturn V and then put the centaur inside.

I will try some of those suggestions -- thanks!

Aaaand an edit: The KW fairing is working wonderfully. I also added ullage rockets from the KW pack to assist in separation. I'm now fine-tuning my lovely four-stage Saturn 5!

Edited by Mira

i took a tour of the NMUSAF restoration hanger yesterday, they are planning on having a Titan IV-C in their new gallery. i saw the assembled parts of it lying in their in their restoration hanger "attic" with an IUS just lying on the floor. it will be amazing once its finished.

Nope, you'll have to close them on the pad

Drat. This severely restricts its usages. :( It would be nice to see "close doors" functionality added -- lading legs and cargo bays from other packs already allow for this.

Landing legs have it because they're set up for the tweakables system in the VAB (by Squad)

The generic animaton that things like cargobays and such use are not for some reason, so you'd need to configure the door to use some other animation controller, which means installing Yet Another Plugin.

I've got a zillion plugins already. One more won't kill me. :)

Heck, just use whatever B9 does. B9 is so common that using the same animation plugin would incur minimal cost.

B9 uses the Firespitter Plugin. And even though B9 isn't the most common mod, a LOT of mods use Firespitter, so I don't think it would hurt to use that plugin, since (almost) everybody uses it anyway.

I have not used FASA since 0.18 until yesterday. My mind has been blown, this is the best mod I've used in a long time that adds only parts. The models are highly detailed, but not too much of a RAM strain. Evenly and fairly balanced (although wished redstone engine had a better ISP and more kick)

The Saturn and Apollo parts blew me away. I think I have a new favorite mod pack from here on out! Thank you guys for developing such a fantastic mod. Might cover it in a mod spotlight soon!

I have not used FASA since 0.18 until yesterday. My mind has been blown, this is the best mod I've used in a long time that adds only parts.

The full Gemini pod setup (pod/control/engine) is marvelously well-balanced w/regards to RCS. They're super fun to launch into orbit and fly around each other in formation. :)

The Firespitter Plugin does work for what you want.

I've got the firespitter plugin installed (it's required by quite a few other mods), but this does not give me door-closing functionality for the MOL in the VAB. Is it possible to add that functionality via MM?

I've got the firespitter plugin installed (it's required by quite a few other mods), but this does not give me door-closing functionality for the MOL in the VAB. Is it possible to add that functionality via MM?

If you know how to edit the cfg ? Edit the Gemini_MOL_Equip.cfg

MODULE

{

name = FSanimateGeneric

animationName = MOL_Equip_Doors

startEventGUIName = Close

endEventGUIName = Open

availableInEVA = True

}

If you know how to edit the cfg ? Edit the Gemini_MOL_Equip.cfg

It works! Here's a Module Manager config file for those who want this capability but don't want to directly edit the part files:

MOL_DoorStateChange.cfg (requires Firespitter)

// ================================================================================
// Firespitter support for MOL equipment bay doors so that they can be opened
// and closed in the VAB.
// -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- FASAGeminiMOLEquipStack
@PART[FASAGeminiMOLEquipStack]
{
MODULE
{
name = FSanimateGeneric
endEventGUIName = Open

availableInEVA = True
}
}

// -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- FASAGeminiMOLEquip
@PART[FASAGeminiMOLEquip]
{
MODULE
{
name = FSanimateGeneric
endEventGUIName = Open

availableInEVA = True
}
}

I can add that to the cfg of the doors for people with firesplitter if you like. It should just be ignored when the part loads if they dont have that plugin installed. It was not really a game breaker for me since you cant attach anything to the doors anyways.

I can add that to the cfg of the doors for people with firesplitter if you like. It should just be ignored when the part loads if they dont have that plugin installed. It was not really a game breaker for me since you cant attach anything to the doors anyways.

The trouble I ran into is I was trying to use the MOL on something that was to be inside some fairings, but the MOL doors were sticking quite a ways out, right through the fairings and generally looking ridiculous. :)

Frizzank, this is what I would do, you can either have it in it's own file in the MOL folder or separate them and put each one in the respective part file.

@PART[FASAGeminiMOLEquipStack]:FOR[FASA]:NEEDS[Firespitter]
{
!MODULE[ModuleAnimateGeneric]
{
}
MODULE
{
name = FSanimateGeneric
animationName = MOL_Equip_Doors_Stack
endEventGUIName = Open
availableInEVA = True
}
}
@PART[FASAGeminiMOLEquip]:FOR[FASA]:NEEDS[Firespitter]
{
!MODULE[ModuleAnimateGeneric]
{
}
MODULE
{
name = FSanimateGeneric
endEventGUIName = Open
availableInEVA = True
}
}

Edited by RedAV8R

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.