Cupcake's Dropship Dealership...

A popular YouTuber like you doesn't need to do homework. That's what fans are for.

Here's the important stuff:

Tylo takes 6500 delta-V to land and take off (if you want to be comfortable, fuel-wise), so I won't be dissapointed if you need two stages. You can get away with close to 6000 if you start at a 50 km orbit (or lower if you have a good TWR, but I didn't) and take off to a 10-15 km orbit. Suicide burns may be necessary, but my craft was so heavy the entire descent was a suicide burn.

Tylo's surface gravity is 7.85 m/s2 (or 0.8 kerbal g). It is the same size as Kerbin. Kerbal jet-packs obviously do not work.

Here's a good compilation of information: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tylo

Also, some more important sources: http://www.kerbalmaps.com/

The latter source will give you the flattest regions, highest elevation, and any easter eggs, if you're feeling insane.

Best of luck!

-Cake

Okay, you win! :D Work on the Tylo project has begun in earnest. So far I've got good and bad news. The good news is I can land and take off from Tylo... and Laythe... and Val... and those other moons all using the same supercharged Tadpole (It's pretty much the same as a normal Tadpole I just got the guys in the workshop to stick an Aerospike engine in it.) :blush:

i6g7xrB.jpg

klStbhx.jpg

w3Z7gIJ.jpg

o1s1WZV.jpg

The bad news I'm not at all happy with the efficiency of my Tylo stage, I mean look at all those T-800 tanks! That's going to be a nightmare to ship to Jool and the shipping to Jool part is the bit I'm worried about. Anyway, so far I've done all my testing for Tylo from a stable 20k orbit, I'm going to try and experiment with a 15k by 60k orbit which should save a whole bunch of fuel, my aim is to lose at least two T-800 tanks if possible... Oh, and I want to do all of Jools moons in one mission with one lander. :P

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

These look very good. I like some of the configurations you went for.

P.S. Why do you sign your posts?

Cheers, with a bit of luck I'll be able to shoot a video of my little Jool adventure this weekend, as to the signing thing... Well... Force of habbit I guess, I've been doing it so long now. :P

I mean without... It Just feels wrong... :sealed:

Cupcake...

... Oh, and I want to do all of Jools moons in one mission with one lander. :P

Cupcake...

And you added a rover! Well, full creds for going above and beyond! This is why you have subscribers and I... don't... :(

WHAT IS YOUR SECRETS!?!

Also, I can assure you making it more efficient is definitely possible, but I want to leave you the challenge of figuring out how.

And what the heck is that thing stuck to the back end of your tadpoles?

And why didn't I think of the eccentric orbit trick? Man, that's genius!

Edited by CakeNinjaProductions

And you added a rover! Well, full creds for going above and beyond! This is why you have subscribers and I... don't... :(

WHAT IS YOUR SECRETS!?!

Also, I can assure you making it more efficient is definitely possible, but I want to leave you the challenge of figuring out how.

And what the heck is that thing stuck to the back end of your tadpoles?

Well, I've just had a look at Rune's grand tour thread (someone that knows what they're doing!), and his Tylo lander wieghs in about the same as mine at 50t so I might just leave it at that. It could be made more efficient but I also want the same ship to do Laythe and Val so I guess there's only so many ways I can tune it. As it happens it does the Tylo landing (with Rover), and gets back to orbit with plenty of fuel to spare which is the main thing. Oh, and on the back of the Tadpole is one Mk-16 chute, and a ladder. :wink:

Cupcake...

Well, I've just had a look at Rune's grand tour thread (someone that knows what they're doing!), and his Tylo lander wieghs in about the same as mine at 50t so I might just leave it at that. It could be made more efficient but I also want the same ship to do Laythe and Val so I guess there's only so many ways I can tune it. As it happens it does the Tylo landing (with Rover), and gets back to orbit with plenty of fuel to spare which is the main thing. Oh, and on the back of the Tadpole is one Mk-16 chute, and a ladder. :wink:

Cupcake...

Hey! Yes, I've been exploring Tylo landings lately. But I haven't done any myself! And that lander I did is hugely overpowered: 8.5km/s in two stages. For what you are asking, perhaps the nuclear way is the right way. I have an alternative Tylo nuclear lander that weights 39mT with >7.5km/s in the tanks... the only problem is it starts at T/W 0.90 under Tylo gravity... so that might be an interesting landing! Since then, however, I have been told that I am overestimating Tylo a little bit and you can make do with more than a km/s less, so all my designs are hugely overpowered, and considering the exponential nature of the rocket equation... this can be made much much lighter! I just didn't care in that huge Grand Tour mothership, and considered the excessive margin a feature. ^^'

So yeah, going forward, and considering you are a very good pilot with a lot of understanding of orbital mechanics, I'm sure you could design either a disposable "landing pack" that gives an extra 3-3.5km/s to one of your 4km/s+ dropships for descent (that is what that tadpole is sporting more or less, right?), and solve this in a lighter way... or create a heavier nuclear powered 40-50mT 7.5km/s dropship, which would be even awesomer!

Rune. About four nukes to lift a lander can with sufficient fuel for Tylo, BTW. More homework done or you! :)

I was wondering, where is it recommended to put these craft files? VAB or SPH?

-Garland

Hi Garland,

You can swap between VAB and SPH with most ships but my designs were created in the SPH so that's probably the best place to put them. You can also save my single engine crafts as subassembly's if you do want to transfer them. :)

Oh and Rune, thanks for the advice, sorry I haven't got back to you I've just been busy shooting my grand tour vid which will hopefully be ready tonight. :wink:

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

I like how you used your space scooter

They do come in handy! :)

So, you arrived at Tylo with four rovers, landed one, and left with two...

Maths? None.

I think you need to watch the ending again! :wink:

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

Cupcake, I am fascinated by how you achieve your camera angles. Care to share your secrets?

I am curious as to how you do your launch camera angle where the craft flies up and you stay on the ground. How do you also do the off-center angles? Also, I see you use mechjeb. I've never used it, but it looks like you are able to autopilot one vessel while working another or EVA, which looks really cool. Care to share your camera secrets? Perhaps such would make for an awesome thread somewhere.

Cupcake, I am fascinated by how you achieve your camera angles. Care to share your secrets?

I am curious as to how you do your launch camera angle where the craft flies up and you stay on the ground. How do you also do the off-center angles? Also, I see you use mechjeb. I've never used it, but it looks like you are able to autopilot one vessel while working another or EVA, which looks really cool. Care to share your camera secrets? Perhaps such would make for an awesome thread somewhere.

Sure, I've just gotta head out for a few hours but I'll get back to you later tonight (It's gonna be kind of a long post). :)

Cupcake...

Sure, I've just gotta head out for a few hours but I'll get back to you later tonight (It's gonna be kind of long post). :)

Cupcake...

Thanks! I look forward to reading it.

Also do you use KerbCam? I've been thinking about trying it out. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/24757

I have used HullCam VDS, but not in a video yet.

Something like this: Land successfully as many celestial bodies a possible, extra points for sending kerbals down and brigning them back, but you get the majority of points for looking cool while you do it.

The point of the rules is, essentially the most impressive mission wins.

Idk, feel free to change the rules because I have a series somewhere on my channel in I want to enter in it. So I shouldn't be making up the rules.

Winner gets mentioned in a video?

Something like this: Land successfully as many celestial bodies a possible, extra points for sending kerbals down and brigning them back, but you get the majority of points for looking cool while you do it.

The point of the rules is, essentially the most impressive mission wins.

Idk, feel free to change the rules because I have a series somewhere on my channel in I want to enter in it. So I shouldn't be making up the rules.

Winner gets mentioned in a video?

Sounds fun! I don't know about the landing on celestial bodies for points bit, but the stylish moves sounds cool. Maybe it could be like KSP X-factor where people can perform with their designs in front of the SPH and try and impress the judges! :wink:

Cupcake...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.