Cupcake's Dropship Dealership...

Hey Cupcake!

I'm just wondering if you will participate in the BSC VTOL challenge that's going on over here. I think it would be... suited for your work. (Some people on the thread are wondering if they should even try with their VTOLs, since yours absolutely blow everyone out of the water.)

Just wondering :)

Edited by UpsilonAerospace
Close them parentheses!

Sounds fun! I don't know about the landing on celestial bodies for points bit, but the stylish moves sounds cool. Maybe it could be like KSP X-factor where people can perform with their designs in front of the SPH and try and impress the judges! :wink:

Cupcake...

Not KMP tho right?

other than that, could be cool. let's do that instead of my idea.

Hey Cupcake!

I'm just wondering if you will participate in the BSC VTOL challenge that's going on over here. I think it would be... suited for your work. (Some people on the thread are wondering if they should even try with their VTOLs, since yours absolutely blow everyone out of the water.)

Just wondering :)

Thanks for thinking of me. I'm afraid I told the guys I was gonna sit this challenge out, as I'm just too busy with a Jool grand tour to be able to give it the time it deserves. I'm still keeping an eye on the thread though and am really enjoying what I'm seeing there. :D

Not KMP tho right?

other than that, could be cool. let's do that instead of my idea.

Depends, there might be an entry that wants to do syncronised ballet or something!? I don't know, from what I understand KMP is pretty laggy at the moment anyway. :)

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

Depends, there might be an entry that wants to do syncronised ballet or something!? I don't know, from what I understand KMP is pretty laggy at the moment anyway. :)

Cupcake...

Okay, but you don't have to do KMP to enter. Perfect.

If we're actually doing this, I have the beginnings of an idea....

Stuck between deciding whether to use a dropship or shuttlecraft! :o Whats the advantages and disadvantages of them?

My understanding is that a draft craft has tanks and the like that are, well, droppable; whereas, a shuttlecraft is completely reusable. I would imagine it comes down to complexity. Seems a dropship would be the easier one to start with, but that's my opinion.

-Garland

Stuck between deciding whether to use a dropship or shuttlecraft! :o Whats the advantages and disadvantages of them?

Dropships have one direction of thrust meaning the only kind of TOL is VTOL.Dropships are slower than shuttlecraft.Dropships do not rely on lift to stay afloat.

Shuttlecraft cockpits face the direction of travel.Shuttlecraft tend not to use psuedo-clippong.Dropships are a lot harder to replicate.

I would use Dropships anyday but that is a preference.

WartJVl.png

What's the mission? :) Anyway, I guess the advantage of dropships (I'm bias here) is that from what I've seen they seem to be more efficient then both shuttlecraft and space planes. Mesklins amazing creations are some of the few I've seen that can match them in terms of performance. You've also got the best of both worlds with both horizontal axis and vertical axis control, want to fly it like a rocket/plane just select the top docking port, want to go VTOLing just use the cockpit.

Disadvantages? Well my SSTOs can take around 7 minutes to get to altitude, which is kind of slow really! The only other one I can think of is that they don't glide very well if you run out of fuel. :(

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

General purpose lander and transport for my kerbals exploring other worlds. Both your dropships and SSI shuttles have a nice sci fi feel to them.

May just take one of each. :) Or merge them into one vehicle. A dropshuttle?

I'm afraid it's only a single seater (although you can mount a couple of Mk1 lander cans instead of the drop tanks and still get to the Mun and back) but the Equinox is a great general purpose vessel, very efficient and extremely adaptable.

If you're really planning on travelling long distances the Carpathia could be the one for you!

Hope this helps!

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

So, for the contest thing you thought of, would setting several world records in one flight be a good idea?

What I had in mind was more people having say, 5 mins to fly/demonste their designs and all the cool stuff they can do within a confined area, perhaps inside the ring road that goes around the space center, at less then 2000ft. A panel of "experts" could then vote on each performance. Or something like that anyway! :)

Cupcake...

What I had in mind was more people having say, 5 mins to fly/demonste their designs and all the cool stuff they can do within a confined area, perhaps inside the ring road that goes around the space center, at less then 2000ft. A panel of "experts" could then vote on each performance. Or something like that anyway! :)

Cupcake...

Well, I don't know. Rules like that would put a limit on what you can do. You're basically saying the only thing a competitor can enter is fly a VTOL around. You wouldn't get many entries. I could still probably work with it though.

-Cake

P.S. By 2000ft, You mean 2000 meters, right? Of altitude?

Cupcake...

Don't forget to make it stylish!

Well, I don't know. Rules like that would put a limit on what you can do. You're basically saying the only thing a competitor can enter is fly a VTOL around. You wouldn't get many entries. I could still probably work with it though.

-Cake

P.S. By 2000ft, You mean 2000 meters, right? Of altitude?

I was thinking people could enter rovers, cranes and all sorts of other things as well, but I see your point, it does make it difficult for planes or rockets. I think whatever it is there should be hard and fast rules like five minutes, one take, show us what you can do!

I finally made a successful dropship!

http://i.imgur.com/RAAu54O.png

I'm so happy right now. :D

Congratulations! I hope it brings you glory in the BSC challenge. :D

Nicely done!

I know it's not the same, but this is my current project:

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn287/japangodmike/KSP/screenshot21-1.png

It's designed to be a LKO (Low Kerbin Orbit) refueling station, helping to facilitate future interplanetary missions.

-Garland

Great job, I like the scale! :)

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

Thank you so much!

Really, beyond the functionality of the station, I was really trying to test out some new procedures, like delivering modular parts into orbit, to build something that could not be delivered with a single launch. I would say I was pretty successful! Really, the only difficulty I am having now is trying to design a refueling vehicle that is actually efficient, instead of having to make 12 trips.

Also, I think it looks just awesome with those Interplanetary radiator panels on the back, don't you?

-Garland

I think whatever it is there should be hard and fast rules like five minutes, one take, show us what you can do!

Definitely should be hard rules. But it will be hard to monitor that the person only takes one take. And there are some rockets that can't get to orbit in 5 minutes, so I'll be up for 10. Other than that, sounds good!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.