Cupcake's Dropship Dealership...

WOW, very nice vessels!, subscribed to your youtube channel :)

Cheers! Great to have you aboard. :D

Settled on an Ox dropship for the heavy lifting on my Laythe trip. :) Looks nice and easy to stick onto a mothership. :)

How much can it lift?

This is a bit embarrassing, I actually took the Ox out of service a little while back. :blush: I think you'd be much better off with the SCARAB which is much more compact and can lift 18t on jets alone (that's on Kerbin so you might be able to get away with loading say, 20t on Laythe). While the Ox is a good solid ship I made some mistakes with the design, the main one being the LV-Ns which are heavy as hell with poor thrust, and the fact that the Ox carries too much rocket fuel. Both factors mean it's hauling capacity (with jets and rockets together!) is a less then impressive 14t. I should go over the design one day and correct these shortcomings because I think there's a good ship in there trying to get out! :)

bMOLwD9.jpg

Another option could be the utlity version of the Equinox (which I still have to polish off). At least with that you'll have SSTO capability too, down side is it's not subbasembly compatible. Anyway, let me know if you'd like me to get it ready for release.

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

Cheers! Great to have you aboard. :D

This is a bit embarrassing, I actually took the Ox out of service a little while back. :blush: I think you'd be much better off with the SCARAB which is much more compact and can lift 18t on jets alone (that's on Kerbin so you might be able to get away with loading say, 20t on Laythe). While the Ox is a good solid ship I made some mistakes with the design, the main one being the LV-Ns which are heavy as hell with poor thrust, and the fact that the Ox carries too much rocket fuel. Both factors mean it's hauling capacity (with jets and rockets together!) is a less then impressive 14t. I should go over the design one day and correct these shortcomings because I think there's a good ship in there trying to get out! :)

http://i.imgur.com/bMOLwD9.jpg

Another option could be the utlity version of the Equinox (which I still have to polish off). At least with that you'll have SSTO capability too, down side is it's not subbasembly compatible. Anyway, let me know if you'd like me to get it ready for release.

Cupcake...

I have to say, you are one of the nicest members of this community I have come across. Just so darn helpful, you are! :D

-Garland

I have to say, you are one of the nicest members of this community I have come across. Just so darn helpful, you are! :D

I completely agree with that! :D

I may try the equinox as I want something that can drop base modules on Laythe and then return to the mothership in low orbit. My only SSTO is way too big for this and need a runway as well.

I should really get round to building a dropship at some point. I'll vaguely base it on the Pelican from Halo.

So I'll confirm the utility of the Equinox. I used it to align my geostationary satellites for my comm network. I launched 4 satellites into orbit, then sent up an Equinox up to collect them and put them into place. They were all pretty heavy at almost 3 tons each as they were equipped with nuclear reactors from the KSP Interstellarpack. :) Anyways, I managed to linkup with 3 of them in low orbit (the fourth glitched out and flung half of itsself accross the galaxy), and haul them up into geo-orbit and get the spacing on them pretty darn close to perfect. All on a single tank of gas!

One problem I had though, and I don't know it it's mod related or not was that I almost didn't make it into orbit. I followed the established flight profile to the letter, but at 20K, when I started turning the craft almost level I started dropping altitude and airspeed. Had to change my angle way up and get altitude before trying an even more gradual change to about 10 degrees at 30k. I made it, but the whole process took about 15 more minutes and a whole lot of fuel to do it. I read somewhere that the interstellar mod does something that requires an intercooler for jet engines, so I'm thinking that I might have robbed myself of some valuable power at the higher airspeeds and altitudes because I didn't have one.

-Garland

That's the cool thing about this community is that we do help and inspire each other. Rune for instance has helped me out on quite a few occasions with my designs, and his Grasshopper VTOL inspired me to make the Barracuda which in turn led on to the Equinox. :) It's all about Karma right?

Cupcake...

I completely agree with that! :D

I may try the equinox as I want something that can drop base modules on Laythe and then return to the mothership in low orbit. My only SSTO is way too big for this and need a runway as well.

I should really get round to building a dropship at some point. I'll vaguely base it on the Pelican from Halo.

Sweet, I should thankyou, you've finally given me the motivation to finish off the utility version of the Equinox, I'll try and get it posted by the end of the week. :wink:

So I'll confirm the utility of the Equinox. I used it to align my geostationary satellites for my comm network. I launched 4 satellites into orbit, then sent up an Equinox up to collect them and put them into place. They were all pretty heavy at almost 3 tons each as they were equipped with nuclear reactors from the KSP Interstellarpack. :) Anyways, I managed to linkup with 3 of them in low orbit (the fourth glitched out and flung half of itsself accross the galaxy), and haul them up into geo-orbit and get the spacing on them pretty darn close to perfect. All on a single tank of gas!

One problem I had though, and I don't know it it's mod related or not was that I almost didn't make it into orbit. I followed the established flight profile to the letter, but at 20K, when I started turning the craft almost level I started dropping altitude and airspeed. Had to change my angle way up and get altitude before trying an even more gradual change to about 10 degrees at 30k. I made it, but the whole process took about 15 more minutes and a whole lot of fuel to do it. I read somewhere that the interstellar mod does something that requires an intercooler for jet engines, so I'm thinking that I might have robbed myself of some valuable power at the higher airspeeds and altitudes because I didn't have one.

Hmmm, that is odd. It does sound something Mod related as I've never had the craft do that. :confused:

Cupcake...

Hey,

I was wondering, have you ever come across an instance where your vehicles just fell apart on the launch pad?

Yesterday, I was playing with the Tadpole LV, managed to take it to Minmus, and today it won't even leave the launch pad. In fact, none of your vehicles seem to be staying together. Looking at them, it's almost as if the struts have become disconnected, even though they are still visible, i.e., not just a single point.

The only difference between yesterday and today is the fact that I installed the newest version of MechJeb and a texture compression mod.

Any ideas?

-Garland

Hey,

I was wondering, have you ever come across an instance where your vehicles just fell apart on the launch pad?

Yesterday, I was playing with the Tadpole LV, managed to take it to Minmus, and today it won't even leave the launch pad. In fact, none of your vehicles seem to be staying together. Looking at them, it's almost as if the struts have become disconnected, even though they are still visible, i.e., not just a single point.

The only difference between yesterday and today is the fact that I installed the newest version of MechJeb and a texture compression mod.

Any ideas?

-Garland

I've only had that happen once, turned out what it was was a Mk-1 lander can on the runway that for some reason didn't get cleared off once the next flight was launched. Maybe just double check to see if the runways clear, if it isn't any new craft will certainly go bang! :P

Cupcake...

I've only had that happen once, turned out what it was was a Mk-1 lander can on the runway that for some reason didn't get cleared off once the next flight was launched. Maybe just double check to see if the runways clear, if it isn't any new craft will certainly go bang! :P

Cupcake...

Yeah, I just double checked. I even tried launching from the launch pad and the runway, both of them having the same outcome. Is there a chance they could have gotten corrupted? I have no idea how, but since it's across all files. I will try one of mine, next.

I'm not sure if my VTOL is really easy to fly, or I got better at flying them.

http://i.imgur.com/1nr8Zdk.png

Probably the former. :P

Cool! :cool: Next challenge, park them inside the hangers!

Yeah, I just double checked. I even tried launching from the launch pad and the runway, both of them having the same outcome. Is there a chance they could have gotten corrupted? I have no idea how, but since it's across all files. I will try one of mine, next.

Very strange, perhaps the save game itself has got corrupted, maybe try starting a new Sandbox session and seeing if that helps. :confused:

Cupcake...

Hey Cupcake, just wanted to let you know that I'm a great fan of your designs AND videos... Always lurking on this thread to see if there's anything new. Keep up the good work mate, can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Cheerio pip pip

Hey Cupcake, just wanted to let you know that I'm a great fan of your designs AND videos... Always lurking on this thread to see if there's anything new. Keep up the good work mate, can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Cheerio pip pip

Thankyou, I'm sorry I haven't released any new craft in a while I really should get back in the SPH. :P

Cupcake..

I have a terminology question...

If you have a mothership, what's another name for the ships that service it that doesn't include the word ship, craft, or "scooter"? These aren't landers or anything, just a generic-purpose helper-craft.

I guess it depends upon what kind of servicing you are referring to. Are you talking about physical manipulation of parts and modules or something that, say, delivers fuel? If that's the case, I would likely call it something along the lines of a support drone, but now I'm just splitting hairs.

-Garland

I guess it depends upon what kind of servicing you are referring to. Are you talking about physical manipulation of parts and modules or something that, say, delivers fuel? If that's the case, I would likely call it something along the lines of a support drone, but now I'm just splitting hairs.

-Garland

The whole point is I'm trying to find a name for any service craft in general, no matter the service. I was looking for a generic name, but I guess tugs is as close as I'm gonna get.

You could really divide small crafts into three types; shuttles, tugs, and transports. Shuttles just transport kerbals to/from places/crafts, tugs move pieces/crafts around, and transports move resources around.

Just my two cents on the whole "What the heck do we call it?" debate.

Cool! :cool: Next challenge, park them inside the hangers!

Very strange, perhaps the save game itself has got corrupted, maybe try starting a new Sandbox session and seeing if that helps. :confused:

Cupcake...

I did as you suggested and the problem still persists. I will try getting the archives again, just in case they were, somehow, corrupted.

-Garland

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.