[It's finally here!] Apollo Replica "MUNBUG XII" Saturn V, CSM, Lander, Buggy

It must be that time of the year. Ive been working on a small Saturn 5 and Lm for a while now. Its not 'Pico' small, around 450 parts right now.

I'm looking forward to seeing yours Gus. Near completion?

MJ

It must be the time of year. Winter closing in, gotta fly to the mun. I am also in the process of reduction. I have my ascent stage where I want it and now I have to reduce my descent stage to match. I went a different route and slightly expanded my CM so I could keep a two man pod. Can`t wait to see Munbug XII.

Very good job done Mulbin.

Do I get some cookie for pulling it off in under 250 parts? The lander itself is, with the fairings, the most part-intensive piece, and still only 60 parts. It's amazing how many ways we go about replicating the same ship.

Rune. And we all clutter Mulbin's thread.

Would it be possible for you or someone else to use a mod to weld some of the parts together to lower the part count. Unity doesn't like that number even on my high performance computer. I'd rather not spend 5 real time minutes waiting to get to 5000 feet.

Would it be possible for you or someone else to use a mod to weld some of the parts together to lower the part count. Unity doesn't like that number even on my high performance computer. I'd rather not spend 5 real time minutes waiting to get to 5000 feet.

Sorry, Munbug is, and always will be, 100% stock. If you use a mod to alter it, everyone who downloads it will need to mod too which defeats the whole point of the craft. If you want a mod version I'm sure there is a saturn V mod part set out there somewhere. If you want a low part count stock Apollo then browse the spacecraft exchange, there are plenty out there from 200 to 800 parts!

Sorry, Munbug is, and always will be, 100% stock. If you use a mod to alter it, everyone who downloads it will need to mod too which defeats the whole point of the craft. If you want a mod version I'm sure there is a saturn V mod part set out there somewhere. If you want a low part count stock Apollo then browse the spacecraft exchange, there are plenty out there from 200 to 800 parts!

I was only hoping you or someone else could lessen the part count in the launch vehicle. That seems to be were all the lag is coming from. You or someone else could then just make a separate download file to differentiate it from the modded and unmodded version.

I was only hoping you or someone else could lessen the part count in the launch vehicle. That seems to be were all the lag is coming from. You or someone else could then just make a separate download file to differentiate it from the modded and unmodded version.

I think when I get to munbug XII I will release a version with just the CM, LEM and fairing to allow people to fit it on to their own rockets. I will be doing the same with my new soyuz as it has 1200 parts with the booster and tower!

I think when I get to munbug XII I will release a version with just the CM, LEM and fairing to allow people to fit it on to their own rockets. I will be doing the same with my new soyuz as it has 1200 parts with the booster and tower!

This is what I also did. My craft needs mods but my CM and lander are stock. As you have said, the stock fairing options are ether heavy or ugly or both. I quite like the idea of being able to put your payload on my lifter. As has also been said, it would cut down a lot of parts for those with less able machines. Once on the way to Mun the flight would be the same from then on (and the bit around and on Mun is the most important/fun I think)

How does the CSM Decouple?

The CSM is actually attached to one of the fairings so there is no central decoupler to get in the way.

Like this...

upir.jpg

j1md.jpg

The fairing is attached to the rocket by another decoupler (A). This fires first, then on the next stage all 4 fairings detach from the decouplers on the CSM (B), in the process they bump into the rocket causing them to fan out nicely :)

As you can see the lander is actually only attached to the top of the third stage. This meant I had to construct the lander from the engine up so it would attach correctly which was a nightmare!

Edited by Mulbin

The CSM is actually attached to one of the fairings so there is no central decoupler to get in the way.

Like this...

upir.jpg

j1md.jpg

The fairing is attached to the rocket by another decoupler (A). This fires first, then on the next stage all 4 fairings detach from the decouplers on the CSM (B), in the process they bump into the rocket causing them to fan out nicely :)

As you can see the lander is actually only attached to the top of the third stage. This meant I had to construct the lander from the engine up so it would attach correctly which was a nightmare!

I have found a really useful plugin that lets you change the root part with a shift=ctrl=click which might be useful for times like that (selectroot IIRC). I use it to isolate my lander or CM for Dv checks n stuff. I find it a very handy editing tool.

I have found a really useful plugin that lets you change the root part with a shift=ctrl=click which might be useful for times like that (selectroot IIRC). I use it to isolate my lander or CM for Dv checks n stuff. I find it a very handy editing tool.

Whoa!... thanks for the tip, that's a really useful program!

I found the link - http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/43208-0-22-Oct17-SelectRoot-Set-a-new-root-part-0-22-fixes

Can`t wait to see what you do with that now hehe (evil chuckle)

Be aware, sometimes it can disconnect fuel pipes and/or struts so double check those after a root change. I find it happens more when using a non standard part as root.

Asking the same question as GusTurbo. Whenever I try to make replica rockets (which does not usually go well), I use the same technique for making the composite fuel tank sizes. This this seems to cause problems for fairings. Say, if it's a standard size fuel tank, you can just place a bunch of I-beams around the tank. But with the "composite fuel tanks," do you have to guess and check by moving the I-beams, and then attaching them to each other? Sorry if's hard to understand, if I could figure out how to take screenshots in the VAB/SPH, I could explain it better. :)

Did it take a long time to get the fairings just right with the I-beams? I tried it myself and couldn't get it to look right.

Hi GusTurbo,

What is it that isnt working for you with the Ibeams?

I had a look at Munbug and then rebuilt them in the same way he did. It took me about 20 hours to get them looking good and working. But I didn't use hyperedit for testing so it could be done much quicker.

MJ

After messing around on my alternate install of KSP, I sort of figured out how to do I-beam fairings/interstages, take a look here. It involves a lot of trial and error. Once I get Photoshop on the new computer hopefully I can make a diagram. They don't line up perfectly, but I think Mulbin's is kinda like that, too. Shown here is an attempt at a Space Launch System interstage.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Woopert