We are all Screwed:Its the End of the World

lobsterbark

From my perspective... KSP is already so big, so well known, that we long ago passed the point where an influx of newbies from any one source could be all that significant. Probably it'll barely even be noticeable.

Remember when Kurtjmac and some Yogscast moron both made their first KSP vids just a couple days apart? Back when KSP was kinda our cozy little secret, and you knew everybody on the forum? That was significant and a little worrisome for a few days.

Give some examples caused by the steam influx.

Also, there's a huge difference between a youtuber and a game distribution software.

Nerd's following, from what I can tell, does not span the broad amount that steam does.

Plus, I'm sure most of them are minors and don't have the money or time to buy/play ksp.

I believe the massive debate over the expansions was caused by Steam players, who had bad experiences with DLC in the past protesting one of the offhand comments one of the devs made in a livestream.

I'm not sure if this is the case; it might have been caused by someone else, but having those extra Steam players did not help, I'm sure.

To be clear: I have nothing against new players--I was one myself once! It's only when new players spam the forums, asking questions that they really should be able to figure out by themselves so that they can get more enjoyment out of the game. I personally don't think this influx of new players will be too bad, however.

'We are all Screwed' is kind of hyperbole in my opinion though :P

I would also like to caution against falling into elitist groups like 'us' and 'them', as the new players that might be attracted by Nerd^3 are just people, like us who like space and want to try their hand at building rockets and killing kerbals! :)

Ok, I'm only serious about the rules. The rest is joking, but there are a few post here where it is obvious that they did not read the op.

I did quite like the joke about the space station (maybe I'll try my hand at making one) :P but I agree, this thread did kind of get blown out of proportion....

I work at a place where we are pretty much all gamers, I can safely say that around here, the FPS kings don't even touch a game like kerbal, not even in their spare time. Their spare time is devoted to watching frag videos, utlimate headshots etc.. They are a different breed to be honest, and this game will not keep their interest for long even if they do get around to playing it. They need fast paced action, zero bugs, more than rediculous frame rates... KSP just does not cater to any of those needs.

Ok, I'm only serious about the rules. The rest is joking, but there are a few post here where it is obvious that they did not read the op.

There's nothing to this thread other than you being a prick, really.

Sorry for being so blunt, but it's true. All posts like yours do is discourage new players from engaging with the community so they feel left out. Maybe they were going to ask a question but didn't because they thought they'd just get laughed at for being a "noob", etc. You get my point.

I work at a place where we are pretty much all gamers, I can safely say that around here, the FPS kings don't even touch a game like kerbal, not even in their spare time. Their spare time is devoted to watching frag videos, utlimate headshots etc.. They are a different breed to be honest, and this game will not keep their interest for long even if they do get around to playing it. They need fast paced action, zero bugs, more than rediculous frame rates... KSP just does not cater to any of those needs.

I'm a long time FPS player (10+ years) and that's not really true. You're referring to the Call of Duty audience instead of FPS players in general.

I have an awesome idea. Let's be there for new players and help them through so they can enjoy the game. More to the community is always a good thing and should not be discouraged as this thread is apparently trying to do. If you think more new players because of Nerdcubed is bad, then you might want to stop and realize that more players helps the game continue to what it should be. The first real burst of new players came when Sips of the Yogscast showed a little play video of KSP, and frankly I think it was awesome seeing more exposure.

Welcome new players. Attitude like this is not very friendly.

Hello, newbie here.

OP, You judge way to quickly and underestimate the natural filter this "game" has.

About me, I don't even play for a week and made a small question thread in the welcome area.

I managed at this point to get to the orbit but had small issues about Landing on the moon. ( and guess what, googling for these specific problems isn't always a solution).

But c'mon, I did about 8 attempts to land WITHOUT knowing about the quick safe...

My point is, I felt so welcomed on this forum that I was really surprised.

I guess it's about the game itself and the part of natural selection since it is not about things you achieve itself, but about the way to it AND your imagination/creativity.

I experienced a lot f bad games in the past with even worse communities, but I think I finally found a game for the rest of my gamer-life. With mature community.

Tl;dr: if people feel welcome they tend much more to behave like normal people, and not someone anonymous in the Internet.

Edited by T3E

Good to see that the much older players are still welcoming to new players, even after new-playerish threads like this. threads like this represent the biggest change in the community, not the new players who come and go.

This thread is going to be locked (one can only hope).

Come one come all to the wondrous world of rockets.

So many over-reactions.

There is no cause for alarm. I have been here for a while (long time forum stalker, which is why my post count is so low) and there has been no evidence from any influx of people that the game, or this community, has been degraded because of it.

I have an awesome idea. Let's be there for new players and help them through so they can enjoy the game.

See, this person gets it.

Like, for example:

1. Try to land on the Mun before you try to go to Bop.

(I haven't even been to or beyond the Jool system before; go figure.)

In my opinion the official forums here are already saturated with "noobs". So much as slightly suggest that mechjeb is cheaty and people freak out. I do most of my discussion about this game on another forum that shall not be mentioned. If you so much as post a picture of a ship with mechjeb there you will get flamed by 20 comments.

In my opinion this is how it should be. Mechjeb is what allows noobs to play this game in the first place. I'm willing to bet that 75% of mechjeb users are incapable of even landing on the Mun without it.

How dare people get upset for being called cheats, how totally unreasonable of them!

Seriously, if you think the height of maturity is trashing other people and feeling all superior about it you've still got a few lessons about growing up to learn.

My girls are aged 8 and 9. Honestly if they didn't use mechjeb I doubt they'd still be playing it, but now they know all about perhaps is, apoapsis, prograde, retrograde and circularising orbits. My eldest has even manually landed on the Mun, but used mechjeb to get there. Feel free to look down your nose at us as much as you like.

Simon Hibbs

Now guys come on, this one guy is clearly right and should be making rules for people and discouraging helping new players. I'm just happy to see that this community isn't becoming elitist like so many other game communities that drive away possible players.

Do you forget you were a noob once too lobsterbark?

We welcome all new players, some may turn out to be great pilots, others great modders, others still great artists or writers who's works you'll enjoy.

Though some might be like you ;)