What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I'm playing with a lot of mods and @Galileo's planet pack. Transfer windows to Niven are quite rare so I decided to go all in with this mission. From left to right there's a big relay satelite/scansat, a tug/small relay, a big rover, two Ascent vehicles, a freezing module and the propulsion unit. It took 5 Launches to assemble this in LGO. Can't wait to fly the mission tomorrow.

g8GVnmP.jpg

Edited by Physics Student

3 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Yeah... installed TextureReplacerReplaced so they can take their helmets off in atmosphere, but have been too lazy to figure out why it's not loading the visor textures...

Its worked fine for me, on 1.3...

Maybe a prerelease issue or something? Or missing a texture?

I made a WWII style-ish fighter thing!

I call it the "Wat?"!

j2GqtZs.png

picture from inside the cockpit

qgE1niv.png

turns VERY slowly

ExGghFP.png

I can see my house from here! mostly because every single kerbal lives in the astronaut complex!

9FDj672.png

and it had the best landing I ever had

68VHLl1.png

waiting to go inside the hangar

DUtnG1z.png

how the heck do I make big wings?!?!

0jRsq5I.jpg

I was going to play today, but my save got corrupted on this PC. Fortunately my other PC has a backup. So instead, I continued working on my station parts for DSEV. Here is the Deep Space Habitat reference design:

EqDFooW.png

The upper section is comprised of a couple of modules, the Junction Logistics Node and Tranquility Mk2 Habitat, while the bottom section has a Short Logistics Module and another Tranquility. The Tranquility needs some work, and all the modules need some Pork-alike scratches and a bit of grunge. DSEV's Odyssey Two release is coming along nicely. :)

I also dusted off a crew lander:

2F1uw5B.png

Here's the wireframe for the Estonian (Wild Blue command pods are named after horses). It's a Size 3 pod like the existing Clydesdale and Danube Delta, but while the Clyde and Danube are orbital command pods not intended for surface launches, the Estonian is definitely built to blast off from the surface. It has a couple of extension parts to turn the pod into a lander- the shape is similar to the iconic Mars Excursion Module.

Here is a look at the prototype parts in the game:

hwiDVIu.png

Its legs will be integrated into the EDL Frame- the stock legs are there for mass calculations. And of course the aerospike will be tucked into the EDL Frame as well. It has plenty of delta-v to get to and from Duna orbit, and with Pathfinder installed, its storage tanks will have templates to help create a starter base.

12 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

You, sir, make entirely too many cool things! I so need this!

Me too! Looking forward to finishing it and using it in game. Meanwhile, you could check out @TiktaalikDreaming's North American Rockwell Mars Excursion Module mod:

Sooo looking forward to that one too. Lets me at long last recreate the ship from the Mars One Crew Manual. :)

The whole point of the aforementioned flyby to Duna was to get the 6-way connectors (which cost too much if you ask me), so I could assemble the space station "kit" I already had in orbit.

1st launch was everything to the left of the MK1 cargo bay.

64cscreenshot24.png

Process:

Spoiler

4fascreenshot25.png222screenshot27.png

bc6screenshot28.png68bscreenshot30.png

d6bscreenshot31.png17ascreenshot32.png

b38screenshot33.pnga2screenshot34.png

screenshot35.pngscreenshot36.png

All done.  First time ever using EVA struts.  I can't believe I ever built a space station without Konstruction! and KIS/KAS!

8fbscreenshot37.png

Everything went smoothly, until it was time to send Jeb home, and we realized someone at the KSC forgot parachutes.

screenshot39.png

40 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Me too! Looking forward to finishing it and using it in game. Meanwhile, you could check out @TiktaalikDreaming's North American Rockwell Mars Excursion Module mod:

I like the simplicity of what you've penciled in. It looks like a similar overall concept to my current orbital ferry but far more elegant. :D

Yvj5GNk.png

dUeh5UC.png

...and possibly less explosion-prone.

PART ONE: Designing and launching a ship!

Haven't played KSP in a little while, so I decided to build something simple to get back into space.

KSA-01 Spirit of Jebediah

7KE9hla.jpg

Turned out very well: stable, good TWR/DV, and room for 6 kerbals.  The design is a lot more utilitarian and asymmetrical than my typical craft.

ta8zgA1.jpg

I was only planning this launch as a test run, but it went so well... I think I'll take her to the Mun next!

Edited by scottadges

Landed a spaceplane horizontally on the VAB building roof.   I've done this before in 1.10,  but that was empty.      

This time it was fully fuelled, and i had to take off again and fly it to orbit.   My poor fingers are still sore.

I got a little time to play in my stock career game.  Now that I know where to get contracts, I picked up a couple -- test a Mk. 16 parachute, and test an RT-18 Stack Decoupler, both in flight, with parameters compatible with the same flight.  That's convenient, much more so than the level or specificity some of the "focused observation" contracts.  The altitude/speed needed were a little high for a Jumping Flea, however, so I tried to grab the Hammer booster test contract as well -- and was disappointed to realize I needed upgrades to have more than two contracts open at once.

Oh, well.  Off to VAB, and the crew banged together a Hammer with three basic fins, decoupler, Mk. 1 pod, a couple goo canisters, and two each thermometers and barometers; the result was christened Hammer Flier.  In went Jeb, and up, up, and away!  A little tilt out to sea during boost, and the decoupler contract was completed before burnout.  Near apoapsis, Jeb jettisoned the booster and reoriented the pod (as well as remembering to take some science readings).  On the way back down, the pod nicely dropped into the Mk. 16 test parameters for speed and altitude, and it was a good day at KSC.  The contracts more than paid for the cost of the booster, and all the pod components were recovered, so the funds balance went up.

While the VAB crew were bodging up another Hammer Flier, I grabbed the RT-10 test contract, and Jeb took another flight, this time angling the boost the other way.  R&D wasn't interested in goo readings from these flight parameters any more (they said something about orbit?), but were pretty happy to see more barometric and temperature readings over the mountains.  Jeb even remembered to file a crew report and make an EVA report after landing (cleverly using the reaction wheel to upright the pod after the goo canisters stopped it rolling right down the valley).  Even that single contract paid off with a modest profit.

That provided enough funds to upgrade the Astronaut Complex (permitting hiring more Kerbals, when funds permit, as well as allowing Kerbals to plant flags) and the Launch Pad (which now ought to easily accommodate a vessel that will reach orbit) and still leave enough funds for the next vessel; also, enough science came out of the two missions to unlock still better engines and larger Lf/O tanks.

There's a Flea SRB test contract open, but after that, it may be time to grab the "Go to Orbit" contract and let Jeb get his chance to really be a hero (after Val was the first to fly in space).

i upgraded the fusion power plant on kerbin to 16 GW output in intersteller extended, hooked up to 3 orbital relays.. and then took out my "pleasure craft" to see just how far the thing would now go on just atmopshere.

Can now hit altitudes between duna and Dres at mach 10. Thought I had gone retrograde at one point, but was actually going so fast out of atmosphere that I hadn't actually gone fully around kerbin to be retro-grade oriented.