What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I launched a refueling craft to dock with my Duna mission craft in LKO and put the damn senior docking port on the wrong way again......on both ships. Deorbited the whole hot mess and will start again tomorrow.

Better than taking the time to take a massive lagship out to Duna to deliver rovers, go through the slow and careful process of attaching the dropship to one, extracting it from the cargo ship, then committing to the de-orbit and landing, only to discover... you put the damned delivery decouplers on backwards!!! >:/

aIy4TT5.jpg

That red ring on the bottom decoupler is supposed to be the other way around, so it detaches from the ROVER, not from the cargo ship.

*facepalm*

Still taking it rather slow - and Remote Tech making me to - I came up with a new satellite/probe design to scan and map the surface of Mun. As the payload seemed rather small, I built another probe right under it before building the launcher, this one to be shot out of Kerbin's SOI.

The launch went ... upwards ... mostly ... something tells me I should have added at least one reaction wheel, two probe cores were not enough, even with gimbaling engines on all stages. The rocket tipped over, MC opted for "go flight" and fired the engines whenever they pointed up. In the upper atmosphere the rocket could be stabilized, of course the whole gravity turn was messed up, so the final orbit was around 75x265. So, the next step of the mission was delayed until Mun was in the right location to burn at PE.

Fuel calculations were made and nodes plotted. It was unclear if there was enough fuel left - or had ever been from the design phase to begin with.

The Mun probe was to enter a polar orbit and after finishing mapping switch to a GSO around Mun's equator. Somehow the figures for the transfer stage and both probes seemed to have been mixed up. Only after separation it became clear that the mission could proceed mostly as planned.

Also not according to plan four fairings were left to fly by Mun and enter a wild orbit around Kerbin, but far away from any current of planned satellite orbits. Their next possible encounter with Mun's gravity will create some moment of suspense though.

The probe ventured out of Kerbins SOI and was set on a orbit around Kerbol that will cross Eve's orbit and bring it back to Kerbin's. Yet it was discovered that the communication systems are not yet advanced enough to stay in contact for very long. Hopefully long enough for some Goo readings around Kerbol and an inclination change to line up with Eve - if only to practice these things for future missions.

The day closed with reconfiguring satellite dishes to keep everything in contact with KSC.

Next up:

Survey of Kerbin showed unusual readings of an as of now unknown chemical compound. Readings are of the scale! Scientists expect to find new source for fueling rockets! (Yes, Kethane mod is coming into use at last.)

And:

Finally have to get material bays up and around and onto Mun and Minmus - maybe new science gizmos will be available by then too.

1) Hell Kraken ate my Jool probe.

2) Hell Kraken ate my Eeloo probe (the one I knew was going to make it there okay, dammit)

3) Dres probe mission ran out of fuel. Got an encounter first at least, but I will not be putting it into orbit.

Last night was kind of annoying.

Launched a new Jool probe - this one's been given more gas, so hopefully it'll actually make it there this time. Next Eeloo window is coming up next.

Got my Gilly probe on a course that will take it within 75 klicks of Eve, should be good for aerobraking. About the only positive thing that happened last night.

Still waiting for the next Duna window.

Launched what should have been an orbital probe toward Eve. Unfortunately my angle was just slightly off and I didn't have nearly enough fuel to get into an orbit, so it was really more of a flyby. Grabbed all the science I could while within Eve's gravitational influence, though.

Then spent a bit designing my very first station core, a lifter that could move that much mass, and getting it into an orbit of about 185km above Kerbin. Swiped the name for the station from some old post I saw here on the KSP forums, hope whoever it was doesn't mind xD. I'm sticking with vanilla unmodded components for now.

The core of Lohengramm Station, soon to be a refueling depot (when I learn how to do rendezvous maneuvers):

DSoQyPN.jpg

I put my latest grand tour design into orbit and got it to the mun as a test run. Planning to video the entire tour :)

Basically I decided that I was sick of using massive ships, and tried to build it as small as possible while still having all the features.

The lander is Tylo-capable, the drive unit has around 9km/s. This should do everything except Eve.

sib5.png

i4iy.png

[TABLE=width: 800]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD]Equipment deployment procedures for the Duna Explorer mission continued today, starting with the first of the Kurb Burner rovers!

The dropship, already previously docked to the vehicle to perform systems integrity tests, releases its payload from the Bruin cargo carrier.

screenshot381.png

The Sherpa is able to maintain absolute stability, even while connected to the rov- HOLD UP; WTF IS THAT?

screenshot380.jpg

Are those decouplers on backwards?! *sigh*

The Sherpa is able to maintain absolute stability, even while connected to the flawed rover, which has recently been re-designated as a landing profile development dummy. KSC has committed to sending another cargo launch with the re-designed components needed for the mission.

The descent begins with Sherpa aligning itself prograde, then rotating toward the vertical, engines swiveling to hover mode. This configuration allows the dropship to maintain control, even under full thrust.

screenshot383.png

Initial de-orbit burn completed, guidance is set to target the current position of the research station, ground-side.

screenshot386.png

Primary deceleration burn ended slightly off-target which was anticipated and of little concern, as at this point the Sherpa can remain aloft and make any necessary adjustments to its course for a few minutes. However, its time in the air is limited, as it is now on battery power alone, and will not be able to keep its fuel converter active after the batteries have been depleted.

screenshot387.png

On final approach, Charlie brings the ship level and begins canceling lateral momentum, preparing to enter full vertical hover.

screenshot389.png

On touchdown, Charlie ensures the rover is reporting contact on all four wheels, then locks rotation controls and initiates the final delivery procedure, topping off the rovers small RCS fuel tanks.

screenshot392.png

With that step completed, he triggers the final decoupler mechanism, permanently releasing the rover from its carry harness, before shifting a short distance away to discard the harness itself, then landing in the designated staging area to begin recharging the dropship's systems for the return flight to Bruin.

screenshot394.png

A short while later, Sherpa's fuel and power systems are fully charged, and Charlie signals his departure to the Cardinal station as he lifts off.

screenshot395.png

Once the ship has traveled a safe distance from the station and gathered enough forward momentum, Charlie directs the engines into lateral flight mode, blasting full throttle for his orbital insertion.

screenshot397.png

The second rover, used to test survivability when dropped via fly-by, guided itself to join its twin at the parking pen.

screenshot405.png

Were it not for the flawed rover designs that render them difficult for the crew to operate directly, the Duna Explorer mission would now be entering the planned actual exploration phase.

As it is, the delivered rovers will have to be used on a strictly automated basis to do a little unofficial looking around, while the crew waits for delivery of the redesigned units that they can actually drive.

Their contingent of Sherpas are similarly unusable and have been completely powered down until the orbital fuel supply shuttle arrives and begins operations to top off their RCS tanks.

screenshot406.png[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

I made an infiniglider with stock parts. It even looks like a plane! (click to enlarge)

Basically, I built a plane, then noticed it flew just as well (even better, in fact) with the engine turned off...

ne2jgJ6.png

Edited by lunait

Since the command module decided to fall off my Kethane tanker but I realised I still had a remote guidance unit on board from before it was adapted from being a mobile Kethane miner so I decided to send it on a 1 way trip to Eve for practice.

photo.php?fbid=10153475454040302&l=84e154d606

Then I sent up another Kethane tanker to replace the broken one. But once it landed on the Mun and got fueled up it refused the lift off, engines on full it was just sitting there on the surface and I know that its got enough power to lift off as it's done it before.

I just had my first Kerbin-Mün-Kerbin shot today.

A couple of days ago, with the help of some users in the IRC channel, I built a rocket that's able to get to the Mün, and sent it there, alongside the famous Jebediah Kerman. He stood in Mün landscape for a pretty long time, and today I sent him back to Kerbin. It was a close call, he had just enough fuel for the trip. Any more fuel wasted and he would not make it back.

Here's a pretty screenshot I got as he returned to Kerbin:

wNaH3sf.png

I went on the north using my plane made for a trip around the world(it's my only plane that can go of the north and go back to the KCS).

Once I landed, i did some basic experiment(just for fun, I have unlocked all the tech tree).

I was too lazy to make the return trip so I just recovered the plane(and the kerbals).

PS:Monkeh, how have you been able to change the face of the kerbal?

Tried for the second time to play KSP under linux. Thanks to it only supporting proprietary ati drivers, which ATI removed support for my gfx card in the latest CCC, I can't play the game...Good job SQUAD.

It's not Squad's fault.

Blame the manufacturer (now AMD) for being reluctant to support a platform that can't seem to figure out where it wants to go or how to get there.

Blame Unity for having the unmitigated gall to try to ensure their flexible framework's stability by focusing on support for the most prevalent (and stable) hardware providers first and foremost.

Or go ahead and blame the Linux community for being so pig-headed and confrontational with itself that it refuses to impose any kind of official standards in the name of "Open Source, Man!"

Currently designing a 130 ton to LKO lifter with KWRocketry and other mods. Its a big pain in the butt. I intend on lunching large station peices with it, and interplanetary cruisers.

I'm proud that my rocket actually looks like a rocket, and not a bunch a fuel tanks taped together with space tape.

Pic:

aNWvHLZ.png

8 Solid boosters, 4 large 3.75 meter liquid boosters using the Wildcat, with a 3.75 meter core stage with a Griffon XX engine. All firing at once.

I spent most of the day trying to build a SSFO/SSTO (from and back to orbit) Tylo lander with a 2-man capsule under 30 tons, that could land at the lowest elevations at up to 45^ latitude. Despite using every combination of engines and tanks at my disposal, I just couldn't meet all these requirements. I could do it if I landed on high ground. I could do low ground if I gave up the capsule for external seats and stayed closer to the equator. Very frustrating.

Finally, it occurred to me that the only reason I had all these design requirements was because I planned to use this lander only once and then leave it in orbit at Tylo in case I ever wanted to go back down in the future. But really, I can't foresee any need to ever land on Tylo more than once. So in the end I turned it into a 2-stage Apollo-like thing and was able to meet all the other requirements.