What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

8 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

I've been upgrading my "Failcan 1" lifter to block 2 form, which includes swapping out the old grey barrel fuel tanks for the new, sleek white and black ones. Apparently more changed with 1.4 than the fuel tanks, as I had to mess around with the script to get it to work. Still not completely ready for release on KerbalX, but here's some entertainment:

Maybe you should have... read the instructions. <_<

@KerikBalm

Yeah, it's pretty cruddy, but then again my first prototype for any kind of shuttle could not bring any payload to orbit and cost a decent bit more. It's certainly a WIP, and eventually I will get around to testing a prototype in my career save. 

And once If I were to use the vector engines, they would certainly be in a larger shuttle. The 3 swivel engines are just right for the job in this situation, and even 1 vector engine would be more powerful than needed, and would also be a tad heavier. 

Edited by Steeeeve
Didn't realize video I already posted was still there. Removed it

52 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@CatastrophicFailure Yep. There's a MoistAtmosphere resource and situation to deal with.

Can't say I'd want another variable for Kerbalism to deal with, but I'm also curious and want to use it, despite it probably confusing me more than I can comprehend.

Also speaking of Kerbalism, I had a launch of a previous test shuttle where after I was controlling the dummy probe to a higher orbit, everything on the shuttle went to hell. Don't have screenshots, but I recall everything going haywire. A mere 20 minutes after launch, the Gaelans became dehydrated, mentally insane, exposed to extreme radiation, and had also lost all oxygen in the cabin. It sorta freaked me out since if that were to somehow happen in my career save, there is no revert feature, and so I would practically be screwed. 

Kerbals and hardware have assembled around Pol. The miner (not shown) will be the first to touch down.

pOgLOzB.jpg

Meanwhile back on Kerbin, the crew of 3 Eve pioneers, are looking at their home planet again, as promised.

cHc6p4p.jpg

And...

aGg72DS.jpg

Yeah. This also became a thing. We gave Kerbin's Mun... a moon :P

The scanner and lander arrived at Eve. After a spot of semi frantic craft switching they achieved their working orbits. Control were forced to wait a while to get some information more useful than "it's purple" to pick a likely target area. The detection of an anomaly settled the question and the Deli class lander was plunged into the fiery maelstrom. The lack of detailed information about Eve had prevented any simulations being carried out before the lander was despatched so there followed a period of attempting to direct the lander with crossed fingers.

screenshot71

The majority of the Deli arrived losing only the minor items one of the engines, the atmospheric sampler and one of the landing legs. Notes were taken. It also managed to land a mere 75km from the anomaly, unprecedented accuracy for this program... The loss of one of the legs did not hinder deployment of the Giggity Rover, one of the things that had actually been planned for (for once) and it was soon majestically trundling towards it's objective.

screenshot74

Which turned out to be a boring strange and mysterious monolith.

Back at home the Duna Investigator Probe package was launched tasked with orbiting Duna and returning. No doubt the crew of the Duna Globetrotter will wave as it hurtles past them as they plod their lonely way around Big Red. And will no doubt shake their fists at it when they realise there still isn't any actual support coming their way.

screenshot73

Plans are in hand to provide them with a return option. Honest.

Still plugging away at rescuing stranded Kerbals in my career save.  I have 1 left in Kerbin orbit, 1 in Mun orbit, and 2 in Minmus orbit.  Biggest thing I have learned is.....rescues in LKO suck.  At least 4 of the rescues were between 72-90Km.  Much easier to rescue/dock when the distance from Kerbin is further out.  I always put my orbit inside target orbit to go faster, and then normalize the orbits as I get closer.  Really hard to gain speed when you only have a few thousand feet between your orbital line and the edge of Kerbin atmosphere.  Have to do a lot of jumping back and forth to the Tracking Station to accelerate time.

In between the rescues, another trip or two to Mun/Minmus will give me enough science to unlock biggest satellite relays, so I can put up my satellite network and start planning some trips to Duna and Ike, which will be my first trips there EVER.

9 minutes ago, djr5899 said:

I always put my orbit inside target orbit to go faster, and then normalize the orbits as I get closer.  Really hard to gain speed when you only have a few thousand feet between your orbital line and the edge of Kerbin atmosphere.

What's stopping you from doing it the other way around? Is there a manual that says you shouldn't? Is your craft short on DV?

1 hour ago, Atkara said:

What's stopping you from doing it the other way around? Is there a manual that says you shouldn't? Is your craft short on DV?

You mean, going with a bigger, slower orbit on the outside?  Nothing is stopping me....it's just.....the key word there is slower.  LOL  I guess it is just personal preference, and I find it quicker to do the intercept with an orbit inside the target craft orbit.  I definitely have had to do some bigger orbits to do a few of the rescues.

3 minutes ago, djr5899 said:

You mean, going with a bigger, slower orbit on the outside?  Nothing is stopping me....it's just.....the key word there is slower.  LOL  I guess it is just personal preference, and I find it quicker to do the intercept with an orbit inside the target craft orbit.  I definitely have had to do some bigger orbits to do a few of the rescues.

Propably personal preference on your end and the fact that I do multiple rescues on a single flight on mine so, I barely notice any difference after bringing the first Kerbonaut aboard.

46 minutes ago, Atkara said:

Propably personal preference on your end and the fact that I do multiple rescues on a single flight on mine so, I barely notice any difference after bringing the first Kerbonaut aboard.

Yes, I have done a few multiple rescues as well.  My first attempt at multiple rescues led me to discover that I had forgotten extra batteries and solar panels to recharge batteries, which led to version 2 of my rescue craft.  :D

In ksp, I never (or very few) build and fly planes/shuttles/ssto, just focus on rockets. That's funny because I'm private pilot in real life and used to be a flight simulator player. Today I installed the pack "giving aircraft a purpose", and let's go, it stimulated me, and I spent times to make aircrafts with pleasure! Just simple, modest planes to fulfill the first contracts. Few pics:

Some kind of "light" pipper PA-28, with folding wings! Take off at 30 m/s, cruise speed 85 m/s

PCJ59OI.png

More Pipper:

Spoiler

iHOAKvi.png

Let's climb this control tower to see the view!

a7HMUy1.png

Then, first supersonic plane, take off 75 m/s, it achieved mach 2.5 but can do a little bit more I think, and a little hard to land this thing!

nnPTqYh.png

Then, first seaplane contract, the "Cessnouk", "duck" variant. Take off at ~45 m/s.

93BRx9h.png

W8k4dO2.png

More Cessnouk, more seaplane

Spoiler

Gentle, gentle (I broke 3 times the engines until a succesful landing)

9PDAXyJ.png

Come on, smile Valentina,  that's a pic for the ksp forum! (maybe having a strut passing through his head is not comfortable)

h0EdsUc.png

Then take off and land (at runway this time)

1On4rCD.png

t7oCi3k.png

On 5/4/2018 at 11:51 AM, Colonel Cbplayer said:

It's Siren from Xenoblade Chronicles 2
jU6EHPb.png
o90l6Zg.pngLSuFlkG.png
YUUYR8t.png4K9lNcK.png IUQTVSW.pngInYZZMd.pnggxWJ4lp.pngrLQx5By.png7bnhIS1.pngAPVmX4t.pngsG2wSi4.png
BuC59zy.png

From the game usually it stays in space and fires orbital strikes as one of the playable character's ultimates
The rails are a massive particle cannon 

Any chance there's a way this can work in 1.4.x? I tried installing the mods listen in KerbalX but it still gave me missing parts.

14 hours ago, Steeeeve said:

Also speaking of Kerbalism, I had a launch of a previous test shuttle where after I was controlling the dummy probe to a higher orbit, everything on the shuttle went to hell. Don't have screenshots, but I recall everything going haywire. A mere 20 minutes after launch, the Gaelans became dehydrated, mentally insane, exposed to extreme radiation, and had also lost all oxygen in the cabin. It sorta freaked me out since if that were to somehow happen in my career save, there is no revert feature, and so I would practically be screwed. 

Copious, frequent backups are a must when playing with Kerbalism. :) It really makes you appreciate just how hard manned spaceflight is. Time warp often does not play well with it, either. 

Yesterday, after confirming (in the sandbox install next to my RSS/RO/RP-1/Principa career titled "Nineteen Fifty-One! (Take Three)") that I had a design that would, pending engine cooperation, make orbit on Ethanol/LOX engines, I tried to actually launch one in the career.  I accepted the "first artificial satellite" contract, which gives two years for completion, and ordered three of the Orbiter A rockets (620 or so days total build time, comfortably less than two years).

After the first had an ignition failure in one of the seven RD-103 booster engines, the second  did something I'd never seen before: an engine overheated and exploded before I could shut down (another engine just failed to ignite).  I hauled that rocket back to the barn for repairs, and tried the third (now running close on time, I spent funds to rush construction twice) -- and once again, an ignition failure.  I can't just launch anyway; with all the fuel for seven engines, six gives a TWR barely above 1, and the rocket will just hover at the pad, burning fuel that will be needed later.  Finally, while I was trying to roll the repaired second rocket out to the pad for a final under-the-wire attempt, I came up three days short, rollout stopped -- and with the charging of the huge failure penalty, so did everything else.  With the Program hundreds of thousands of funds in debt, and no "government bailout" strategy available from the administration building (no strategies at all, come to that) I pulled the plug; as of May 1964, Take Three was closed down.

Five minutes later, I opened Take Four with "Normal" difficulty.  January 1951, and back to burning the fins off WAC Corporals (the only reason I can figure why my B9 Aerospace Procedural Wing (Early) fins burn off and others' don't is that I actually design my fins for minimum supersonic drag, with long, biconvex leading and trailing edges, and make them thin, as well as using a potentially preferable ogive nose instead of a plain cone -- which makes my WAC go faster even if it's a little heavier).  Even limiting the thrust of the WAC Corporal engine to 85% doesn't help, and by the time I was ready to try 60%, my Post-War Materials Science unlocked and I was able to switch to the Aerobee fins.

A present, I'm into late 1952; my Aerobee (with the XASR-1 engine allowing a stretched tank) can take 50 units of payload past 150 km, or bust 220 km flying light, even with only the original Tiny Tim for a booster.  Unlike previous careers, I haven't yet launched an A-4; I completed the "suborbital and return" contract with an Aerobee (but no biological samples).  The A-4's time is coming, though (possibly after the A-9 engine upgrade becomes available); the early film camera, bio capsule, and other upcoming "recovery only" instruments that are too heavy for an Aerobee are still waiting for their rides.  I need to look at whether I can launch from White Sands, Vandenberg, and Kodiak without penalizing myself by spreading my upgrade points too thin; White Sands has easy access to Grasslands, Mountains, Desert, and Taiga biomes, White Sands or Vandenberg might reach Tropics (though Canaveral is about as close), and Kodiak is within reach of Tundra and, with the right rocket, possibly Polar.

Yes, it's an American program.  I'm American, after all, and American rockets and launch sites are the ones familiar to me.

47 minutes ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

Yesterday [...]

Cool, I like those detailled reports, I'm impatient when you'll be at mun/interplanetary/manned related stuff!

48 minutes ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

Even limiting the thrust of the WAC Corporal engine to 85% doesn't help

But you shouldn't be able to limit it anyway in RP-1/RO. Only late engines have a "few" percentage of thrust/throttle limit.

56 minutes ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

in the sandbox install

Do you have KRASH installed? It's a mod that let you simulates your rocket in exchange of funds of course, in RO/RP-1, I use it all the time

I also used to switch between sandbox and career for testing before, but this is way better. :)

Edited by kurgut

Started a new program: The Cygnus Program! The Nova program is still alive and well (except for a brief hiatus to develop a cheaper 1-man direct ascent Iota lander), and so during this time the Cygnus program is taking the main stage. The main goal of this program is to further reusability & our permanent presence in space. Cygnus 1 launched with many objectives of the mission. One was to bring a habitation module to Sunrise Station. Another objective was to test our 3 manned capsule (2 meter 2 man capsule discontinued due to unfixable balance issues on re-entry), and to bring a tourist to LGO.

hIJBVZW.png

No residents at the station until the greenhouse, life support, and solar arrays are installed. 

@KerikBalm

The launch cost was ~:funds:100,000, using an already made launch vehicle, so it was a tad bit overpowered.  It took a ~3 ton payload to orbit and had a decent bit of dV to spare. So yes, seems like my 3 man launch vehicles are much cheaper than a shuttle. I'd assume that I would have to sink ~:science:1,000 into Kerbal R&D for parts that can allow me to make a shuttle that can not only get 5 tons to low & high orbit, but do it for less than :funds:80,000, and recover not only the boosters, but the main tank. Certainly not gonna be done during the Cygnus program.

Also, KS3P is mighty beautiful, but it's so darn glowy! Still tinkering with settings, but it's not like I can look away from the beautiful scenes that it creates. Almost like a fly attracted to a light.

CWQJjgU.png

On 7/25/2017 at 4:45 AM, Julien Kerman said:

Today I tried to build a MK2 Space shuttle in Realism Overhaul.

G8INnV5.jpg

Shuttle main engines: 2x HG-3 (1400 kn)

Orbital maneuver system: 2x Gemini Lander engine (13 kn)

Boosters: 2x UA-1205 (5000 kn)

EsnJr2X.jpg

ylGxhA0.jpg

Orbit insertion using the OMS engines. 146km x 237km

jcn9LOq.jpg

During descent I realized..........that I forgot landing wheels :(

njypTDu.jpg

OpMyzVC.jpg

Meh.... still not perfect :D

I think i will change the wing design, because the shuttle flies like a stone instead of gliding though the air.

Sorry I'm sorta stalking your profile, but I was browsing through old posts on this thread & I kinda fell in love with your RSS/RO posts. What I was wondering is what mod allowed for the external tank? Is it a procedual parts texture pack?

I'm guessing you may not remember off the top of your head, which I understand. 

Edited by Steeeeve