What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

2 minutes ago, Norcalplanner said:

It's been awhile since I've played RSS, but I remember that Mercury was a bear.  So is this a flyby?  Or did you abuse Earth and/or Venus with gravity-assist-fu?

I honestly started to rage because I kept running out of fuel, but really, it did take me a lot of retries, I used a tall rocket to get to mercury and I finally did it :)

1 hour ago, jack gamer said:

I launched a Skylab to mercury 2E1EC113AAD4125CAE7FF6F9831FDFE719BA3F51

That's insane! An entire S-IVB stage to Mercury?

Let's hope the added heat and radiation doesn't make the kerbonauts angry. We might have to relive the Skylab mutiny.

Edited by Ho Lam Kerman

Further tests of the '36', and the beginning of its twin, the '35'

First, strange sight after landing the '35'.
nSz0VW9.png

'35' after its final modification, and flight to Glory Base.
uLaJQdh.png

'36' on yet another test flight. She's not yet finished yet.

RQh9nNr.png

Hey there,
this is my first post in this forum as I have just about 20 or so RL hours in this game. But I am hooked :D
I wanted to boast about me doing two satellite missions (one around Kerbin and one around Mun) with my very first satellite....as I realized it was overpowered as hell when I got it into it's designated orbit around Kerbin (Also it has a lot of useless science stuff on it as I did those science points with rockets before already).

So I was very happy thinking I can get to the other mission to place it around Mun....and when it looked really good and spot on on the yellow "go-to-orbit"...I realized it was going the wrong way around. :o

Obviously the remaining dv is not going to be enough to fix that grrrrrrrrrr

But as I spend maybe the same amount of time i've been playing on reading your guys helpful posts and watching youtube tutorials etc.... I want to thank you all while thinking about what to do now with that satellite riding "on the wrong lane"...??

Cheers to all, this is a heck of a game!
:D

Got my first crew in this career back from the surface of Minmus.  They had a nice view of the mountains as they descended to splashdown:

kiYQmUi.png?2

I also made & launched my first Soviet-style launcher on a LKO rescue mission:

VXDTpOJ.png?2

And a safe return to KSC at dawn after the successful rescue:.

p9qfnYW.png?2

6 hours ago, Stunkfish said:

I want to thank you all while thinking about what to do now with that satellite riding "on the wrong lane"...??

Fresh Meat! Welcome to KSP! :).

Unless the satellite has a relay on it, it's not much use. Other than a possible future mission to alter it's orbit, it's clutter.

Here's a tip though; satellite missions are a great way to get paid to put up relays. Give it plenty of dV to re-orientate and send up multiple probes on the same launch (though of course this only applies if you're using the ComNet).

Today I got a burst of inspiration and decided to build a small scale replica of the SR-71 Blackbird

ByxVCjQ.jpg

I'm very happy with how it turned out. The final scale ended up being about 2:7.

11bBrvj.jpg

As is a trend with me, the rear section ended being a massive part sink, with 300 of the craft's total of 380 parts being dedicated to the rear of the aircraft.

JkvdqHf.jpg

The craft is powered by 4 Junos with 2 Sparks acting as the afterburner.

Of course, this thing is very slow, with a topspeed of 192 m/s, or 241 m/s with "afterburner" at sea level. About 5 times slower than the real thing, but I have yet to test it at higher altitudes.

10 hours ago, Ho Lam Kerman said:

That's insane! An entire S-IVB stage to Mercury?

FunFact #1: that’s not too far off from what was actually planned at one point. ;) 

45 minutes ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

Today I got a burst of inspiration and decided to build a small scale replica of the SR-71 Blackbird

FunFact #2: this is a bird so bred for speed, she needs to go fast. She weeps unless she is. 

Also, they used one of the same chemicals (triethal borane) to light the afterburners as SpaceX uses to light its rocket engines. :o

I am a font of mildly interesting but ultimately useless information!

Working on a way to make realistic-ish space combat possible with the limitations of BDArmory and the mods based off of it was how I spent much of my time in KSP today.

XDok4SO.png

Thought I guess if I'm really aiming for realistic space warfare, I would've made these laser beams invisible by now.

HJFX9AV.png

I also released the first chapter of The Kerbin Escape. A story that has literally taken over an year or two from the original idea, months from when I began writing the first chapter, and a good 24 hours of my time the past 10 days just to get the screenshots set up and done.

Edited by SaturnianBlue

Played Messed around with MM and something went horribly wrong :confused:

iw8nriP.png

And installed RPM along with 'MK1-2 IVA Replacement by ASET' to train some IVA only flights for the new Newbie Challenge :)

uWnR4BI.png

Against my expectation, it is really cool to have a ton of buttons to smash^^

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

3 minutes ago, The_rocket_fan said:

On the right side of the screen, those two kerbals look like they are doing their.......you know....thing

I just realized that lmao

2 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Played Messed around with MM and something went horribly wrong :confused:

iw8nriP.png

Looks like you broke the game:o

Edited by jack gamer

10 hours ago, DJWyre said:

Fresh Meat! Welcome to KSP! :).

Unless the satellite has a relay on it, it's not much use. Other than a possible future mission to alter it's orbit, it's clutter.

Here's a tip though; satellite missions are a great way to get paid to put up relays. Give it plenty of dV to re-orientate and send up multiple probes on the same launch (though of course this only applies if you're using the ComNet).

Thx,
well this just opens up a whole new part of the game to me. Up to now I brought back every bit of science to kerbin and landed it, all with manned (erm....kerballed?) missions. Thus completely ignoring the ComNet.

Now, another Scott Manley Video later, I'll have a lot to learn and to do, to figure out how to set up my first relay network...

Thx for your tip...lots of work ahead!

An attempt to recover a crashed plane led to the rescue plane crashing in treacherous terrain, the rescue plane sent to rescue both of them then crashed in the same treacherous terrain, you know. Eventually I got to just dropping a rover down to drive the pilots to a better landing spot, and this is what awaits them.
dIq4d10.png
Unforgiving terrain destroys even the rover.
EbBCAG0.png
Think this is like the 4th rescue plane? Attempting to land my latest workhorse plane loaded with crew cabin.
QPiKnRo.png
Of course it fails, another stranded pilot.
1IOJMI2.png

For now, I call that location Mount Treacherous.

I think i landed on jool. 

So it all started when i was delivering a relay satellite into orbit around the sun. Once I let go of the satellite, i decided to launch the booster into Jool (since i  wayyyy didn't have enough DV to fly into the sun). Here are some pictures from it.

https://imgur.com/a/RossVzR

Now here's a video from the final few seconds of the decent. Before i inevitably exploded.

Edited by Athen

58 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

That terrain looks familiar. I think I have flown around (and crashed) there as well on one of my many explorations.

Its east of the Dessert Airfield.

Trying to land a non-VTOL aircraft there is... well, you saw the many crashes I have there. Got pretty close though, the last few crashes just destroyed the engines of the plane.

I spend my weekend hunting unicorns bugs on KSP again. But this is a snapshot of what probably was the more hilarious mission I did ever on KSP before that unicorns bugs hit me in the nose. :)

Jebediah Kerman survived another crash landing, but this one he landed on his nose. Ouch, that must had hurt epically. :D (yeah, I know how it hurts - can tell the history another day).

05_BAIL-OUT_00.png

05_BAIL-OUT_01.png

05_BAIL-OUT_02.png

Spoiler

spoiler: the blimp "poofed", I don't have the slightest idea why - so this stunt saved Jeb's life!

07_POOF_00.png

Edited by Lisias
typos, what more? =P