What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I managed to get a ship from LKO to a 150km orbit at Moho for a bit less than 5400m/s, by far my cheapest flight there yet. I did this via a retrogade, gravity braking flyby of Eve en route, which also did most of the plane-change. This flyby gave me a Pe down at Moho's orbit and a Ap at Eve's orbit, just for the cost of getting to Eve. Still needed 1400m/s to finish off the plane change after the flyby, though.

BACK TO TRAINS! :)

Proper trains.. that work.. not experimental ones that wont bend or have too much torque..

Functional actual decently capable trains that ventured out more than just the KSC loop..

After trying to overcome the challenges of having lights go out, KOS programs reset because lack of power while climbing a big hill and everything along them lines..

I cracked it... it wasnt so much trying to supply enough power to the traction motors of the locomotive at the same time as everything else then coming up short..

nor was it trying to get spotlights and accessories to run on a dedicated power supply independent from the main generators..

The lightbulb moment came when I discovered that for some odd reason.. monopropellant has all the features of hydralic oil in a pump system..

thus.. "Generators" now generate monopropellant, that the locomotive wheels drink as power input.. while the lights and all accesories run off battery power

No underpowered wheels.. no dimming of lights.. full torque and speed curve that follows the generation of monopropellant when in gear.. Forward and reverse

all of which gives a fully controlable perfectly behaved Bo-Bo locomotive that happily pulls 5 bogey wagons containing fuel thats converted to monopropellent via the generators

Docking ports arnt being pulled off by torque.. wagons arnt being pulled into segments then spring back... Brakes actually work.. train turns like its ment too.. generally im one happy train driver again.. just a little more tweaks then i'll be back on the road..

Ive also switched the engine sound from EMD to Detroit diesel for 4003 being a smaller long hood locomotive..

somehow it suits it nicely :)

AND!

No more Apple-White..

Ive modified some LT800 tanks, they now carry just fuel.. no oxidizer... realisticly coloured into dirty grey and black.. edited the truss parts.. modified wheels so they have bolts in the center..

Im Back.. and its awesome :)

Even my xbox steering wheel is playing nice.. while KOS is programmed to keep the locomotive wheels in constant gear without the need to keep my foot on the pedal

lj4T9Fh.jpg

Played around with interplanetary ships in sand-box. I could probably afford this thing in career, but there's no way I'm getting it into orbit without cheats.

bVqfkcK.png

v0vo9gf.png

G9xPDrB.png

The acceleration is also pretty anemic. She weighs over 160 tons fully fuelled. I feel like I'd need to install some kind of 2.5 m NTR from a mod pack to make it feel more... apropos. The 3.75 m bulge behind the cupola is meant to be a large work area for the crew. I thought of using a lab or something, but the 3.75 m parts look better like this. Just have to use your imagination and pretend it's not a big fuel tank. (Here's a Kronal vessel view of it next to the smaller variant: http://i.imgur.com/lspfRh3.png The units are in meters.)

Edited by PTNLemay

Why would a ship need two pilots when one is of questionable usefulness?

Edit: Nice looking pod however.

Answer: Because the pack also has a 3-man lander pod, which enables an Apollo-style scenario with a pilot left in orbit, and all three "professions" to go down in the lander.

Not much. Just finished stripping my iMac down to the last nut, cleaning and vacuuming out everything, and reassembled the old girl (heat issues). Working great now! :)

BUT, I managed to do this......any landing you walk away from is a good landing. :P

screenshot47_1.png

Not much. Just finished stripping my iMac down to the last nut, cleaning and vacuuming out everything, and reassembled the old girl (heat issues). Working great now! :) . . .

Cool! Mine is eight years old but I've maxed out the RAM to a whopping 4 GB. Hey, I doubled it recently by replacing the two 1 GB sticks with two 2 GB sticks.

Nice ship! Can it actually fly and perfom maneuvers or is it just a sci-fi ship you made?

Yes it most definitely works! It has 12 nuke engines and 2 mammoths for forward thrust, and 4 Mainsails and 2 Skippers for VTOL capability. Comes with a huge amount of delta-V and can land in most places. If it does run out of fuel then it can use onboard ISRU systems to drill ore and refuel. In the back is a giant cargobay with a operating ramp which can fit rovers, landers, etc.

Oh, and if you're talking about atmospheric flight... no... flys like a brick.

Finally managed to make an Mk3 cargo!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

It lifted some 53 tons to LKO, although it ended up sucking a bit of fuel from the cargo (and I did make sure the crossfeed was disabled), but there is a bit of room for improvement (for instance, I could replace the cockpit for something lighter). It uses the tricouplers from the MK4 expansion mod to put the rapiers under the wings.

It also ended up flipping during reentry, but I was able to regain control (I'm still surprised by it) and land it gently in the desert.

I also started a new career, just for kicks

By chance I was already working on redesigning one of my shuttles from early 2014 when @KerbalSpaceP tweeted about a something similar. I decided to perfect it and put it to good use.

Nothing special about that design. But wait, does that rocket have wings and a vertical stabilizer?

screenshot1.png

Lift-off.

screenshot2.png

Booster separation. Yes, it does have wings.

screenshot3.png

Ullage engines pull away the now empty nose tank.

screenshot4.png

The final push to orbit.

screenshot5.png

Another truss section delivered to LKO with more than enough fuel left to manoeuvre.

screenshot6.png

Hold the phone! You've got lounge chairs on the roof of your Astronaut Complex?!?!! I suppose you've got a wet bar poolside as well?

Tell those Kerbals of yours to get back to work and quit slacking off!!!

Landed too much on their faces, they quickly went back to work.

(And the engine exhaust might have ruined the chairs)