What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I have always tried to accelerate using engines and land on the landing gear. Oh boy, was I ever wrong.

My Skylon-like SSTO's probe core overheated and exploded, the rest of the plane survived reentry and "landed" in the ocean. One wing and one landing gear survived. This is what happened to the landing gear.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Fly, you beautiful thing.

Not a lot today, made a couple Duna landing attempts with my Grand Training vessel(turns out that I can't manage a 7 degree slope on Duna with a Mk2 passenger module in my klaw, even with RCS)

Then I spent a lot of time getting each of the 24 kerbals(21 trainees, 3 rescuees) out and planting flags with them for XP.

After getting everyone re-situated I made a long, slow ascent off Duna(1.19 TWR, engines that over-heat fairly quickly without radiators and the likely loss of radiators if deployed above ~45m/s below 10km means I had to cut engines at ~65m/s and re-engage around 40m/s a few times on the way up) Should probably have dumped most of the ore I was hauling around for a better ascent...

Got all the trainees/rescuees safely to orbit though, so now just a quick hop over to Ike to refuel and then back to the Kerbin SOI(where Rescuees will get to visit the moons on their way home)

I built a biodome with stuff inside for Val to explore.

d48EuSs.jpg

Major kudos to the development of Civilian Population, if you ask me. I love the models' detail.

IelJW6Q.jpg

Maybe with 1.1 the game will be able to take the performance hit from running so many mods and I can actually play with stuff like this regularly. For now, back to the less-modded original installation...

Made my first working SSTO and used it to show a pair of tourists a sunrise from 75,000m up. Forgot to put batteries on it and didn't realise until I lost control at 10,000m on the way home. The ship was tumbling just enough to drop it's speed down to 40m/s at splashdown, both tourists survived and pledged never again to take any kind of air-travel!

I launched the engine section of an interplanetary ship for my first Grand Tour attempt. As it turns out, I forgot batteries and solar panels, so the moment I shut off the engines to coast to Ap and circularize, the whole thing went kaput. So now a very large, very expensive assembly is falling back to Kerbin because it lacked 100 kg of electronics equipment...

First I had an urge to design and launch a new interplanetary tug. I actually repurposed the design of Predator from the story in my signature and modified it a little to create a luxury yacht with loads of fuel and engines. It also got two viewing cupolas and a large crew compartment. Additional docking ports allow to add further modules for the voyage. The ships name is Panther. Her take off weight (wet) is 215t. So she was mounted on a Thor 51 rocket which can get that weight into orbit with only the last 200m/s dv being done by Panther's nukes.

panther_01.jpg

Launch went well and Panther got into orbit. She now waits for further supplies and modules. Her first mission will be a voyage to Jool, not without stopping by the Minmus refueling outpost.

panther_02.jpg

Mortimer_Kerman.jpgMortimer: And her price tag is > 600,000.- funds! Was that really necessary for that mission?

Gene_Kerman.jpgGene: At least a really nice addition to our fleet! Looking forward to control this mission.

Linus_Kerman.jpgLinus: Not only a new huge passenger liner was created, but we had also some more mundane tasks today, such as a rescue of a Kerbal plus pod from Minmus. We had to develop a new technology to pick up pods from ground though.

Spider 20-01 was the new repo-rover-lifter-lander that tried the rescue/retrieval first. Yet the claw was mounted a tad too high and the Kerbals were too lazy to test this at KSC before going to Minmus. So this rescue was a fail. Even Aldry tried a lot to get his pod attached but nothing worked. Gladly there was another rescue on Minmus, just the dude in this case. So Spider 20-01 got redirected after failing to pick up the pod and went there to rescue the other guy, which went well.

spider_20_01.jpg

Linus_Kerman.jpgLinus: Now that didn't go well! We had to redesign the spider concept and came up with a solution that finally worked.

After creating the new rescue/retrieval rover she went to Minmus and could successfully pick up the pod including the stranded pilot. The new rescue rover has 2 small aircraft wheels that can be raised to lower the claw even down to ground level. That will help pick up anything off the ground.

spider_21_01_02.jpg

Also refueling Raider 31-02 in Minmus orbit, a class E asteroid interceptor, continued and finally got finished. That were quite a few roundtrips for Tanker-144.

refueling_raider.jpg

Carrica_Kerman.jpgCarrica (commander Raider 31-02): I thought that guy running the gas station on Minmus never gets finished delivering my fuel!

I returned my can of Kerbals from just on the other side of Kerbin's SOI. 9 Kerbals, a whole bunch of XP, and I got my Kerbol return chevron

Almost Home:

LgTRJZcl.png

Like struts, you can never have too many parachutes:

kZMObsrl.png

Almost forgot to take a screenshot of the landing, fortunately it broke in half so I was able to go back and take a screenshot of at least half of it:

Mp1n8Zil.png

"You know you play too much KSP when..."

1) ...just loading the craft list in the SPH causes frame lag...

2) ...scrolling down the list causes RSI on your mousewheel finger.

So today I created a folder called "Museum" and moved all my early prototype, obsolete and half-baked craft files into it.

Now back to designing more...

Had another of those fifteen minute days - that's two in a row now. But it was enough time to send up Cerxie in a second Raven plane (with a much better ascent profile) to rendezvous with Val and company in the first Raven and transfer the fuel they needed to get them out of orbit. Whether it will be enough to get them back to KSC is another story, of course...one problem at a time, right?

I built my first mining base on Minmus.

So far so good.

I first brought a miner unit to the surface after an orbital survey.

Then I landed a fuel depot next to the miner and connected them with KIS connector pipes to pump the fuel from the ISRU to the fuel depot.

Each module is accompanied by an engineer for maintenance and connecting/disconnecting the fuel shuttle ect.

But they are not very skilled.

So "Froden" destroyed one of the gigantor solar panels on the mining vehicle while trying to enter the Cupula module after his first EVA,

because he bounced off the side and accelerated upwards and hit the panel with his helmet and smashed it to pieces.

Of course I had not brought any spare solar panels up there...

And the second incident was caused by "Marrie". She smashed one of the 3x2 solar panels of the fuel depot vehicle near the Cupola hatch while steering towards it.

Who engineered those vessels so stupidly anyway? Huh? Placing solar panels in the direct vicinity of a hatch at the top of the vehicle

without any mobility enhancer to get up there safely? :rolleyes:

But the worst thing of all:

Someone *dunno who* forgot to shutdown the engine of the mining vehicle and accidently hit the "SHIFT" key while both vehicle were already connected.

Well, the result was this:

774z306.jpg

Minmus really doesn't forgive stupidity. I'd better done this myself... :huh:

I'm on my way currently to Eeloo for the first time and I noticed this on my screen.

1CNyr4x.png

Not sure what's causing it to go crazy but it looks hilarious. Anyways its a rather boring a relaxed stream due to the time acceleration wait but I'm on twitch if you want to come hangout.

*Update* After a long wait to reach Eeloo, my game crashed.

Edited by GeneralMDBK

Continuing to being all my people home for a major re-assignment... and getting really good at these pinpoint landings. This is hands down the best precision lander I've come up with yet.

FBUo7Ad.png

xZtZbhs.png

Tomorrow I'm sending a ship for the last remaining three out at Duna. Then the fun begins... hehehe