What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Zip. For days now.

Recently had to stop playing KSP cold turkey. After numerous unfair attacks where she popped up beside me bearing a charming smile and waving the box of The Witcher III before my eyes, my wife eventually laid her hands on the PC.

So here she is, surrounded in sparkles, blissfully gutting drowners and playing with her sesky Geralt doll, while I'm exiled to the barren Land of Laptop, ruled by Intelion "Gee-Pee-U" the Incontinent.

205083KSPbarrenland01450.jpg

A few things. Got Bill home, only to find out he's short of the level I want (so he's going to Minmus with the next tourist batch), learned something about spaceplanes, figured out a bit more about the limits of my new lifter, and did some fiddly docking things.

rkEnbi.png

xkAqdB.png

First up, Bill and Jebbo set off from Mun orbit. Once they had a 40km periapse over Kerbin, I split the fuel amongst the lander's tanks and decoupled the rest of the orbital module, leaving only the capsule. The parachutes are clipped under the docking ports.

6U6OuT.png

TA13Xn.png

Reentry was pretty hot, and took two passes. Fortunately, nothing exploded.

kvarpx.png

7sRAGm.png

I actually happened to pass over the KSC at 30km up on the final pass, so the landing was only about 63km away.

fo7COd.png

ZzLMUI.png

This is the Triangle. I've since added an Oscar-B just before the docking port and removed some fuel from the central tank, for reasons that will become clear.

Dw4ZGP.png

e2pkrX.png

Here's what I learned about spaceplanes, that I read in the K-Prize thread: levelling off early to build speed, climbing fast then levelling off again at maximum thrust altitude, and finally climbing out is a more fuel-efficient, effective ascent path than the one I had been using. So, I checked it out with this simple new design.

rl7rm3.png

eWPH0e.png

Yep. Works just fine. I might have fired the rockets a little early, but I think a little bit of weight-reduction (by removing some excess LF) and a touch more oxidiser (the Oscar-B), and even with the early fire, there should be enough in it to dock with Stopover and go home. I did manage to get this version to Stopover, but there wasn't enough left in it to match speeds properly and dock, so I had to link it with a little tug.

PiaRim.png

ZuEvDM.png

This payload is about three tons heavier than the MunPair payload this lifter was originally built for. The ascent path wasn't as efficient either...

0hzYYY.png

YkA9Ca.png

So, it had to take a bit out of the payload tank to circularise. I then docked this contraption to Stopover: it should provide a few more docking spaces to the station, and some more fuel and monopropellant capacity. Unfortunately, that means that Stopover now has 411 parts, so I've needed to turn down my graphics settings so my laptop can handle things like transferring fuel around the station.

Bill is now waiting in the Triangle docked on Stopover, to switch with Tamrie when she gets there in SixFerry, and then take the next batch of space tourists (currently resident on Stopover) to Minmus, and finally level up to be able to repair Natatrice's broken landing legs at MunRod. Convoluted.

Set a new record for Single Stage Air-Breathing in the Stock Payload Fraction Challenge with 45.69 %

And then I created a Chibi Skylon with surprisingly good performance. (Thanks to Raptor9 for the inspiration)

17 t cargo. Max take-off weight 64.9 t. Only 2 Rapiers to lift the whole thing. Which is a new personal record. (32.4 t per Rapier)

I'm on a roll, today :cool:

Iv7Iq6j.png

Album + Craft file

i accepted a contract to bring 550 ore from the moon to kerbin. i already have a drill there so i started working on a lander, put it in orbit and linked up with my main tug there. the tug pushed it to mun orbit, released the lander, landed and loaded up the ore, rendez-vous with the tug that took it back to kerbin orbit and then landed on the slope of a mountain of all places

C962E66911968F6627C57E80430E4F4181B4284A

the up-side down docking port on the bottom just serves as a control point so the navball points in the right direction

A5F59598C64705E29BC2B66EF3895017A2A74611

9B0029295E7F467CCD731FFBAD083B287585FD0F

Edited by Belphegor

So I built a station in LKO for a contract, but it was big and fancy enough to make me want to put it to use for myself. Even though in this game I've been everywhere already without any stations. Which meant I had to get into the SSTO racket to make proper use of my new station, again something I've never seen the need for. Thus, for the past many days, I've been doing nothing but spaceplanes, gradually refining my designs, making things that worked but weren't useful enough to be worth the trouble when compared to a rocket. Eventually I just threw all that out the window and got the OPT mod. I dunno what OPT stands for buy my guess is Over-Powered Technology :D. Suddenly spaceplanes have value :)

21015315515_6a3aa54aed_b.jpg

Edited by Geschosskopf

Final testing of a Laythe-atmosphere SSTO (I will tug it there, not what you mean...:D). It can SSTO Kerbin with less wings on top, so i assume that it can fly on Laythe, i don`t use Hyperedit, maybe its more a guess then...

nYh97Jz.png

So I built a station in LKO for a contract, but it was big and fancy enough to make me want to put it to use for myself. Even though in this game I've been everywhere already without any stations. Which meant I had to get into the SSTO racket to make proper use of my new station, again something I've never seen the need for. Thus, for the past many days, I've been doing nothing but spaceplanes, gradually refining my designs, making things that worked but weren't useful enough to be worth the trouble when compared to a rocket. Eventually I just threw all that out the window and got the OPT mod. I dunno what OPT stands for buy my guess is Over-Powered Technology :D. Suddenly spaceplanes have value :)

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5627/21015315515_6a3aa54aed_b.jpg

Nice, what is the mod for the big one?

What mod adds those parts. Also nice use of the MK1-2 Command Pod.

Nice, what is the mod for the big one?

That's the J- and K-sized hull parts from the OPT mod. I kinda mentioned the name several times in the paragraph you quoted ;D.

This mod not only has the big ship parts but engines for them. And some of these engines are Mk2 in size, so can be used on smaller ships. The 2 small spaceplanes in the pic use the same advanced turobramjet as the big plane so have to ascend at reduced throttle to avoid burning off their cockpits....

Landed on Laythe, first time ever, in my .24 legacy save. Spent a full day on the surface, including a 2 km hike down to the shoreline; then lifted off and returned the three kerbal crew to their temporary orbital outpost (barely).

Had the hard realization that I only packed about half as much fuel as I should have - the crew's return fuel to Kerbin is on the way, but I'd hoped for more of a margin for exploring the moons. I should have sent along about twice as many tankers as I did.

As it is, I'm probably going to have to scrub either Tylo, or Bop and/or Pol. And even that will have to wait on the mission to Vall, just in case it needs rescue and in-flight refueling.

Built a heavy cargo spaceplane. Made an empty ascent to orbit on its first test flight, but the ascent was a little difficult. I may need to make some more tweaks and adjustments to optimize it for carrying some tons. I hope to use it to bring modular components of surface bases to orbit so I can hook them onto my transport. Seems more efficient than trying to send them all up in one gigantic rocket.

5cUhbRd.jpg

By the way, does anyone know how to get these solar panels to retract without a specific action group? I can right-click on them, but all it gives me is information about the panels, no toggle option. I thought I might have to click on the "root" of the panel, but I only ever seem to get the part behind it. This does not seem to be an issue on panels that have protective cowling over them, but since these panels are inside a cargo bay that remains shut during ascent and descent, I figured why add the unnecessary bulk and mass when the bay doors will protect them.

Edited by Fearless Son

Built a heavy cargo spaceplane. Made an empty ascent to orbit on its first test flight, but the ascent was a little difficult. I may need to make some more tweaks and adjustments to optimize it for carrying some tons.

If you'll forgive the 2p, I think you're quite heavy at the aft end. The lateral engine pods would let you move them up to the middle, helping keep your CoM forwards, and you might find you don't need those big front deltas anymore :)

By the way, does anyone know how to get these solar panels to retract without a specific action group? I can right-click on them, but all it gives me is information about the panels, no toggle option. I thought I might have to click on the "root" of the panel, but I only ever seem to get the part behind it. This does not seem to be an issue on panels that have protective cowling over them, but since these panels are inside a cargo bay that remains shut during ascent and descent, I figured why add the unnecessary bulk and mass when the bay doors will protect them.

They can't be retracted. They are single use probe panels.

Struggling for lower Partcount on my next Jool mission...

After discovering major flaws in my recently lifted Jool megatug, i reworked all the "needed" components to accomplish my personal goals... Even reverted my save to a earlyer point, which was... hard.

Refurbished Laythe SSTO, which i will leave there for future colonisation, have to add a dronecore still:

Thanks to Geschosskopf (...aka Warhead in german :wink:), for his advice how to do properly!

2zvFVDV.png

Jeb mentioned having a good pointlanding on the VAB roof... whatever Jeb calls successfully...

Accuracy is his second name he allways claims :P...

MNRqlzj.png

Edited by Mikki