What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today began the first part of my mission to Duna. Sent 4 orbiting sattelites to serve as support craft. One in a polar orbit to map the planet and provide constant direct communication with Kerbin, and the other 3 to work as relays.

Up next is the construction of Inspiration and its shakedown mission.

I sent my second Apollo style mission, part of the Pioneer Project, to the Mun. This second mission was designed to be longer, with real time spent on the Mun's surface, including a rover to be assembled on the surface for a wider exploration radius. The launch system was refitted to take the heavier load, and the launch went smoothly. Lunar orbital insertion occurred with a polar orbit. The target area for landing was at the northern end of a ravine that lead to the far side crater. Our engineer, a newbie, and a rescued scientist boarded the LEM and decoupled from the CM, leaving Val all alone. Using the computer guided landing system, the LEM desended gracefully towards the surface. At around 1000 m, something was noticed to be vary wrong. What was originally thought to be a flat plains area was a small crater with very steep walls, and the computer was taking the LEM right for the cliff face. Acting fast, the engineer disengaged the guided landing system and switched to manual controls. Unfortunately there was no stability assist, so a light tap on the RCS thrusters sent the lander spinning wildly out of control. The choice was made to about the landing and return to the CM. The rover containers were jettisoned, and the launch boosters were fired. The lander flew up in an erratic fashion as the inexperienced engineer tried to maintain control, all the while the scientist was in the corner shouting "NOT AGAIN! NOT AGAIN!" The brave engineer nearly gained control of the craft, but has a nervous tic that caused him to spin the LEM on it's axis. At around that time the main engine was out of fuel. Only RSC thrusters where working. Unfortunately for the brave Kerbals, they weren't enough to stop the LEM from crashing down hard, destroying all the scientific equipment, the power packs, and the emergency life support systems. The Kerbanauts survived..... at least until the electricity ran out. The last words heard from the surface of the Mun was "I picked a hell of a day to look at the Mun." That's when the simulation reset itself back on the launch pad, as the crew of the Pioneer 2 prepared for lift off....

.....this is the twilight zone....

just some small stuff that had to be done.. first a few contracts for cash, saved a few kerbals from orbit and brought 2 scientists back home after 7 years on minmus. i also flipped my duna rover upside down just before reaching it's 3rd biome :(

Today i'm working on the ARESSTOT mission (For Ares SSTO Transfert)

SdmC1vA.jpg

The idea is landing on Ares is an easy mission. Specially from a ship in orbit around it. But, once your ship is on the ground you can't reach the orbit without a huge craft (almost 80T) after your mission.

So made a kind of AAV (Ares Ascent Vehicle) is not a good idea.

Even with two stage, you can make the trip only one time, and you let half of your ship on Ares... not really cool :huh:

zmymPJd.png

The solution is... sending a SSTO vehicle, simply because Ares got oxygen.

dj9EIxi.png

And that's work damn great, you must take care of not burning your ship in the atmosphere, but unless that, it's a real pleasure.

LxZsgi5.png

Well, I had to send a cargo ship to ressupply the SSTO in fuel and monopropellant but now all is ok :

fhnHRYI.png

gR2K50z.png

Little tour of the ARESSTOT ship with my two ship and the ressupply cargo docked

Edited by Sido

Well, as I mentioned the other day, I was going to concern myself with the boys (J, B, B) and their approach to Jools and Laythe. Getting into position to land on Laythe isn't exactly easy.

As Kronos_A (the ship) approached Jools I noted we risked getting into a clockwise approach. So the boys burned some to brake and pull inwards to the Sun, until our trajectory instead was sucked in behind Jools in a counter-clockwise direction. Then I immediately found a braking slingshot on Tylo, and with a little tweaking, could get it into a double braking slingshot on Tylo and Laythe.

screenshot2160.png

So, I was the world champion and so full of myself for awhile. Getting greedy, I went for maximum brake to reduce the energy vs. Jools as much as possible. Wrongly thinking that would put me in a good position for the rest.

screenshot2171.png

...And discovered that I had put poor Jebediah, Bill and Bob in a nervwrecking nightmare. I was way too deep into Jools and too low energy. And every encounter I could find with Laythe either threw Kronos_A out of the solar system or (most of the time) smacked it straight into Jools. We burned precious propellant, again and again, to escape disastrous encounters. As the days and orbits around Jools counted up, the frustration, stress and despair mounted. I think it was day 127 or so, around Jools, that Bob started to talk very sarcastically and harshly about mission control. But there was really nothing else to do but keep searching for some positive encounter.

Luckily, at about this point the newbie gals at Duna called home and explained that they wanted to stay another year. Duna was their dream ambition, etc, Asdra had finally found time for her water color painting, Eilla had begun writing a book and Cerly had started to play Skyrim and FO3. And all three loved long walks in the Duna highlands. Normally, I'd told them to get their asses into the rocket, but this time it was a relief. Fine.

Finally, on day 140 or so, orbiting Jools, we encountered a sling that lifted us up into a considerably better orbit. Joy and celebrations. Just a couple of orbits later, we found this:

screenshot2228.png

That very close encounter on Laythe is clockwise, but never mind. It's our ticket out of this mess. We can tweak it close and atmosphere-brake!

screenshot2232.png

Note the joy and celebration. You may also note that Kronos_A have shed a few tanks underway, and half of its nuclear engines, eight of them, (to reduce weight and conserve fuel).

And atmosphere dipping and air-braking is on! The Kronos_A should be safe air-braking at up to about 3,200 m/s entry speeds, and this encounter was much more mild. I guessed an periapsis of about 38,000m would be about right, and to my great surprise found I pretty much nailed it.

screenshot2236.png

Results were excellent! Now I'm taking a break. It's taxing to carry the nerves on the outside for so long.

I'm very, very close to my greatest ambition (sofar) in KSP.

screenshot2255.png

(Pleased don't launch v1.05 the next few days?)

Edited by Vermil

Today I landed a spaceplane that had sent a satellite to orbit. The tricky part: after colliding with some space debris half the left wing was missing. Made for a very tense descent, but I landed it, somewhat. The slowest I was able to hit the ground was some 50 m/s , but the crew survived, and so did part of the fuselage :)

Today i'm working on the ARESSTOT mission (For Ares SSTO Transfert)

http://i.imgur.com/SdmC1vA.jpg

The idea is landing on Ares is an easy mission. Specially from a ship in orbit around it. But, once your ship is on the ground you can't reach the orbit without a huge craft (almost 80T) after your mission.

So made a kind of AAV (Ares Ascent Vehicle) is not a good idea.

Even with two stage, you can make the trip only one time, and you let half of your ship on Ares... not really cool :huh:

http://i.imgur.com/zmymPJd.png

The solution is... sending a SSTO vehicle, simply because Ares got oxygen.

http://i.imgur.com/dj9EIxi.png

And that's work damn great, you must take care of not burning your ship in the atmosphere, but unless that, it's a real pleasure.

http://i.imgur.com/LxZsgi5.png

Well, I had to send a cargo ship to ressupply the SSTO in fuel and monopropellant but now all is ok :

http://i.imgur.com/fhnHRYI.png

http://i.imgur.com/gR2K50z.png

Little tour of the ARESSTOT ship with my two ship and the ressupply cargo docked

http://youtu.be/f7M96JGhXls

Wow. Just wow.

I really like the fact that you send dedicated missions to (test?) your own planets while others just take screenshots from map view. Nice work!

I did a couple of things in my career save today. First, I launched a small probe that will hopefully get to and land on Laythe.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Then, I built a new plane which should be an improvement over my older ones, for doing surveys around Kerbin.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Sent out a Dres Probe Stack.

Two Relay Sats, One Asteroid Docker, A Dres ScanSat, Two Mini Dres Landers, and Two Tiny CubeSats.

All packed into one Medium MK3 Cargo Bay. The ship getting it there is a Chemical Transfer Stage powered by RTGs and pushed along by a KR-2L Rhino.

It had about 3,300 M/S of Delta V. I've already used up 2,200 M/S (Rough).

I hope I have enough to get into orbit.

Well, within the last 24 hours I got my ground attack plane to do 2000mph in the lower atmosphere without breaking up (I did have the atmospheric heating turned off though...), and got it to 'bout 36 kilometers, as well as seeing it accelerate past 600 m/s at a 35 degree angle. Then this morning I put a spaceplane made from Mk IV parts into the lowest and most circular orbit I've ever done. And I got it to do 4000 mph on the way up. It can't deorbit itself though, since it doesn't have any parachutes, and I'm not skilled enough to land a plane regularly. I can just ditch it with parachutes. Preferably in the water, with the parachutes from Behemoth Aerospace Engineering that are up to 10 times the size of the normal stock radials.

This is a follow up to http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/29533-What-did-you-do-in-KSP-today?p=2237395&viewfull=1#post2237395

I finally found the time for the Gilly mission. After I finished assembling my ship in orbit I had 5000 m/s to spend and if you go very fast to Eve and don't want to aerobrake you need pretty much of it. But with some fiddeling I got a good elliptical Eve orbit and soon after this (just 9 in-game days) a good Gilly encounter.

I didn't do many screenshots, just wanted to finish the contracts I had for Gilly. And since I'm getting a bit bored of KSP (don't know why), the next missions will all be fire-and-forget probes...

In the last post I showed you my SSTO. It still flies pretty well.

Docking on the dark side of Kerbin. Thanks to NavyFish an easy task.

FydWttK.jpg

Aaaaaaand docked.

0eQiInW.png

Lights out, undock, and off we go. The space plane stays in orbit as shuttle to go back down again.

WhMPXbU.jpg

And now someone (as in Jebediah) put the camera inside the sleeping quarters and since we all know that Kerbals don't sleep nobody could find them there. I have no idea why they have sleeping quarters anyway. Well, after eating too much snacks Jebediah had the brilliant idea to take a nap and found it. But this was already in the orbit of Gilly. I mean it's a great idea to take a nap while landing on Gilly. The gravitation there is so low, you can really sleep all the way down and still land safely.

9ijTqvv.jpg

And that's it. SomeONE (again Jebediah) left the camera on Gilly. It will be replaced, not retrieved. Space Center Command doesn't do such missions, they fear they will have to retrieve all the monkey wrechnes and rubber ducks from Kerbin orbit if they ever start.

What shall I do with the space ship afterwards? I'm not sure if throwing in Kerbins atmosphere and watch it burn is a good idea...

Created the industrial core for my upcoming Eeloo Karborundum mining colony. Weights a little over 100 tons and is not only able to harves K+, but also mines Ore with large strip miners and can convert it into various fuel types. It comes with a fission reactor to provide power for the mining equipment and the other colony modules. A nuclear reprocessor above the reactor allows it to produce its own enriched uranium to ensure the colonys full power independency.

KrfK2XA.jpg

Travel stage attached, payload to LKO weights 544 tons...

pMY91Jc.jpg

The rocket that will carry it into orbit. Top stage will also assist in the Kerbin exit burn for a dV safety buffer. Total weight of 4713 tons. Extended Hangar, else it wouldnt fit. ;)

T9qPLEG.jpg

Well, I didn't take a break for the day. I just had to get back to it and land on Laythe as well.

screenshot2289.png

I have to say that the Kronos_A rocket has worked pretty flawlessly. I expected it to, of course, after all the work on testing and tweeking everything.

The return flight should be pretty routine. The most difficult part is getting into a usable Laythe orbit, with something this big. Landing is maybe the second uncertainty, but I gotta say it went very well and smooth.

screenshot2295.png

How long have I dreamed of seeing this? Flag planted. Surface sample taken. A group portrait of Jebediah, Bill and Bob on the surface of Laythe.

I can still remember when Laythe was just something I'd heard about. Almost a myth.

screenshot2328.png

- So... What now? Home of course, but I mean then what?

(hmm, could always do Vall with the same rocket, I think.)

More updates on my long range expedition

screenshot117.png

It'll climb a little over a 30 degree slope using 3 jet engines and the rover wheels combined

screenshot120.png

Crossing the mountains northwest of KSC

And lastly taking some time off at the west coast beach. I shoulda mined more ores while it was at 6% concentration! Hopefully I can make it to Sandoland.

screenshot122.png

I also became aware you can repair rover wheels AFTER wasting a lot of time reloading saves...

I also became aware my vehicle is amphibious completely by accident. Had I know, I'd have skipped all this nonsense and gone straight to the Sandoland deserts.

I finally got back into my 1.0 game and added a couple of mods. First off; Kerbal Joint Reenforcement, where have you been all my life??? Secondly, I installed Kronal Vessel Viewer, and made some diagrams of my latest creation:

rakU8jU.jpg

...And a screenshot of where the mission is at now, off to Ike next.

LOLUT5s.png

Edited by DunaRocketeer