What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Getting back to work on my old 1.0.2 career save. I keep meaning to wrap this one up but I never seem to find a good stopping point.

gghaN4N.jpg?1

Moho Scanner 2, its original mission to map Moho finished, successfully completed a transfer to Eve.

oIv8c7X.jpg?1

Nuclear Aqualung "Cyan" refueled the old S. S. Rumfoord, still in Kerbin orbit with a skeleton crew processing data from its mission to Duna, in preparation for an upcoming expedition to the Jool system.

wZBoLk2.jpg?1

Super Aqualung "Blue" refueled at Base Coalwood on Minmus, and is now on its way back to LKO.

yJEL0EL.jpg?1

The hab module for an Eve return mission went up on an RLV-320 reusable rocket. It will be part of a flotilla of roughly half a dozen ships departing for Eve over the next few weeks.

Did try to build and fly a space shuttle craft, with the shuttle on the side of the main fuel tank.
I finally got it to lift off straight, do a roll program, and follow a controlled trajectory until all the booster fuel was burnt up, ejected the boosters, and the shuttle and tank did a predicted slow uncontrolled spin. Managed to detach from the tank and glide back to KSC.

Have some issues:
1) The whole craft has lots of fuel but it weighs in at 300 tonnes. I simply can't carry enough fuel and have enough thrust to get past 40Km altitude.
2) I have not given NASA engineers enough credit on the Space Shuttle. That thing is really hard to get up straight.
3) I need to come up with a way to drop 100 tonnes of mass.

2 hours ago, DunaRocketeer said:

Good going, and a good sensible design for a lander too!

Ha thanks. Actually, I expected the lander to be way too long for a decent landing. I used a FL-T800 Fuel Tank since I was afraid I would not make it back with just a FL-T400 (or a T400 plus a T200). I had about 20% fuel to spare though when I made it to Kerbin.
But I was surprised by how relatively easy it was to land this craft. After reading all the horror stories about landing on Mun it was more doable than I expected. In fact after this landing I sent two more rockets to the Mun with large science stations and even landing a big rocket with a mobile processing lab was not that hard. Of course now I am struggling with docking a second part to my newly built space station in orbit around Kerbin, so I guess this game always has a new challenge for you after you completed an old one!

Crash  landed Val on Laythe a couple days ago. Decided to send an unmanned rescue. Intended to land next to Val with MJ, except it was in of its moods and I had to abort auto land and take control to keep from hitting the ocean. Set down 10 km from Val. One of my mods seems to be preventing Kerbals from running. A 10k walk would take too long, so I hyper edited a dune buggy conveniently near by. Thought it would be fun. Way underestimated the difficulty of navigating the steep dunes of Laythe. 7.5K away and can't climb the last little bit of hill. Val may stay on Laythe or magically reappear at KSC. I want to  move on with a mothership design. Eh, maybe I'll pick her up with the mothership on a few decades.  

5 hours ago, Hotaru said:

Getting back to work on my old 1.0.2 career save. I keep meaning to wrap this one up but I never seem to find a good stopping point.

Don't wrap it up!  You and I are the last ones playing 1.02!!  :P

...I'll be playing until I have a satellite around everything, probe on everything, and feet on Duna & Laythe.  I think I can probably get that done in 8-12 weeks, by which point (optimistically) I'm sure all of the mods will be reconciled with 1.1!  ...Right, keep telling yourself that Gary...

Did some more flight testing of my MK4 cargo plane.

SmmdPLE.png

The overheating problem has been solved by the addition of no less than 5 radiators per engine.

Fully fuelled, without payload it weighs about 60 tons. Ferry range is 2800 km at 8000 m altitude.

Max T.O. has been established to be 160 tons. Range at max payload (100 tons) seems to be around 900 km at 2500 m altitude.

At max payload she really needs the whole runway to get into the air.

12 hours ago, Red Shirt said:

Crash landed Val on Laythe a couple days ago. Decided to send an unmanned rescue. Intended to land next to Val with MJ, except it was in of its moods and I had to abort auto land and take control to keep from hitting the ocean. Set down 10 km from Val. One of my mods seems to be preventing Kerbals from running. A 10k walk would take too long, so I hyper edited a dune buggy conveniently near by. Thought it would be fun. Way underestimated the difficulty of navigating the steep dunes of Laythe. 7.5K away and can't climb the last little bit of hill. Val may stay on Laythe or magically reappear at KSC. I want to  move on with a mothership design. Eh, maybe I'll pick her up with the mothership on a few decades.  

You'll hear from my lawyers :sticktongue:

Did some heavy rocket designing job.
I needed a new launcher to put a future orbital station in lunar orbit. The station itself was quite light so my Moon rocket was overkill, and I had no launcher powerful enough to put it in orbit.

After trying a few designs, I had a genius idea: Moon rocket was too big, so I decided to remove a few things from it. After throwing away a few engines and the entire 1200t first stage, the rocket was perfect for the job! :P

M4mE4G6.png

Actual blueprint used for the conception of the rocket:

Spoiler

BwdOr1D.png

Pressure from Val's lawyers encouraged the KSP heads to spare no expense in the rescue attempt. A New dune buggy was dispatched. This one is as big as the return ship. Creeped up a few dunes at a mere 1.5 m/s. Most of the trip was at a thrilling 20 m/s. Brakes were applied regularly to keep it from going higher to keep the pucker factor at an acceptable level.

i6zqhiU.jpg

I must say Laythe is a deceptively designed moon (great job Squad). It looks like a day at the beach, but those steep dunes are hard to land on and harder to climb. I must also say with the addition of Scatterer, EVE 7-4, and Edge of Oblivion, the views are simply gorgeous. 

21 hours ago, GarrisonChisholm said:

Don't wrap it up!  You and I are the last ones playing 1.02!!  :P

...I'll be playing until I have a satellite around everything, probe on everything, and feet on Duna & Laythe.  I think I can probably get that done in 8-12 weeks, by which point (optimistically) I'm sure all of the mods will be reconciled with 1.1!  ...Right, keep telling yourself that Gary...

One of the reasons I haven't quite been able to let this save go is it's the first time I've ever really gotten into the end game of reusable launch vehicles, deep-space stations and bases, and a fully unlocked tech tree. Plus I have a personal rule of not visiting places in sandbox until I've "unlocked" them in career. It's stupid, but I like to feel I've earned my first landing on Duna or Eeloo or whatever by having to actually unlock the parts and pay for the mission, before I get to do it the easy way in sandbox.

My original goal (back in May) was to visit, at least with a flyby probe, every planet and moon. That was achieved a while ago (the last was Dres Orbiter 1). The goal since then has been to land a Kerbal on every planet and moon and return. So far I've returned Kerbals from the Mun, Minmus, Gilly, Duna, and Ike, landed on Bop (by EVA) but not yet returned, and have missions outbound to Dres, Laythe, and Eve. I've got plans for the rest of Jool's moons, but I haven't decided yet what I'm going to do about Moho or Eeloo.

Anyway, still working on it.

2f2GFr7.jpg?2

S. S. Constant, the flagship of the Eve return flotilla, departed Kilgore Station after the crew arrived on a shuttle.

H5qJb8n.jpg?1

Constant picked up the surface hab for the mission and departed Kerbin orbit for Eve.

gfNPoIz.jpg?1

Mission Starlet-27 took off from KSC on a crew rotation run to Minmus. This is the first flight of the Mark III Starlet shuttle, which has landing rockets for operations on the Mun and Minmus.

Kpfum5N.jpg?1

Super Aqualung "Blue" refueled the Eve Ascent Vehicle in Kerbin orbit, ready for its departure on a minimum-energy transfer in a few weeks.

3 hours ago, Hotaru said:

One of the reasons I haven't quite been able to let this save go is it's the first time I've ever really gotten into the end game of reusable launch vehicles, deep-space stations and bases, and a fully unlocked tech tree. Plus I have a personal rule of not visiting places in sandbox until I've "unlocked" them in career. It's stupid, but I like to feel I've earned my first landing on Duna or Eeloo or whatever by having to actually unlock the parts and pay for the mission, before I get to do it the easy way in sandbox.

My original goal (back in May) was to visit, at least with a flyby probe, every planet and moon.

I really like "personal rules" like this, though after from the Demo I have not had a desire to play Sandbox- not saying it couldn't be useful or fun, but just saying that Career has so far addressed all my entertainment needs.  One thing I intend to do when I start my 1.1 modded game is to actually write a mission plan for each flight.  I *wish* I knew someone personally as into this as I am (or one of my kids was 12), because it would be Really fun (in a very nerdy way) to have someone call off mission steps as Mission Control; "Stand by for for Booster Sep.  ...Booster Sep," then "Booster Sep Confirmed Flight."  ...gosh I'm a geek...  >.>   - model railroading enthusiasts probably have a synchronization here somewhere.

In my 1.02StockStill game I have crashed the 2nd Mars 1 lander prototype on the moon during its flight test.  At 128 tons, 4 Nervs might just be too low a T/WR for a safe landing Anywhere, so even though I now have my altitude deceleration marks noted I have designed Mars II with 8 Nervs.  The booster will need to be redesigned though as the total mass to orbit requirement has jumped to 154 tons.

Edited by GarrisonChisholm

Fresh from discovering that Dres actually exists Dumb Probe 1 executed a rendezvous with an asteroid orbiting Dres. For a given value of "executed" and "rendezvous".

screenshot153_zpsyujouobi.png

As the mission unlocked the "rendezvous with an object in orbit of Dres" milestone and the probe was almost bingo on fuel anyway they are calling this a success.

With visions of a downsized tracking board it was decided to sacrifice the resource scanner orbiting Eve to evaluate the possibility of a landing.

screenshot146_zpsfl7rpcus.png

The Nerv struggled somewhat..... and finally succumbed to heating.

screenshot147_zpsxojxmh8v.png

To mission controls surprise the remains decelerated enough to raise the possibility of a controlled impact.

screenshot148_zpslfwlocta.png

Some judicious rotation kept the speed down enough to land without breaking anything.

screenshot150_zpsbpsxji0w.png

The M700 manual is now being rewritten to include the phrase "also useful as an emergency airbrake".