What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I spent much of this morning modeling, then flying, a recreation of an early jet airliner proposal I once dubbed "the Jayne Mansfield of planes". It's been such a long time since I saw anything about it, I can't remember the name of the manufacturer. Development was cancelled, but IIRC, it was a West German company. I can't seem to find any information about it now. Pity.

Early%20Jet%20Airliner_zpstp9ljcx4.jpg

When I saw how low the fuel consumption was, I realized it might have enough range to circumnavigate Kerbin, if I added drop tanks. I re-started the mission, but not before adding in 1600 units of fuel in big drop tanks. Results are not good. The extra mass makes takeoff difficult, and achieving enough air speed to start climbing was harrowing. Still, I have all fuel feed from other tanks shut off until the tanks run out and then everything should be okay, because I can drop 'em.

Edited by SSgt Baloo

Checked mySanbox Save to make sure "Adams" ISS was still in Orbit

screenshot19.png

Yup

It was sunbathing :lol:

screenshot39.png

Slung me Other "Borrowed" Craft File into Orbit the RasTech Instant Space Station , lets hope it doesn't die a horrible death like the last one did :o

screenshot14.png

It was also sunbathing , must be a solar thing I suppose :D

I built a Mun Flyby mission. To recreate Apollo 13's course. But then the mission had an ironically Apollo-13-like mishap; there was no electricity. I ran out before the hohmann transfer burn. So I waited until I was over the KSC and got them down on my fifth try. The other times it was going too fast. The big three await plane pickup some ways east of the KSC.

And IRL, I updated my terribly old 2010 iMac to OS X El Capitan from Lion. 

19 minutes ago, Dr.K Kerbal said:

Come on! I just want to upload one photo!!!!!

It's a bit different now. You have to include the  URL /URL codes with the IMG /IMG codes for the picture file.

Like this, but use the [ ] brackets instead of the { }

{URL}{IMG} your pic that on photo bucket/Imgur/whatever you have{/IMG}{/URL}

Edited by GDJ

Cool! I am going to have a go right now...

url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&c

did it work?

44 minutes ago, GDJ said:

It's a bit different now. You have to include the  URL /URL codes with the IMG /IMG codes for the picture file.

Like this, but use the [ ] brackets instead of the { }

{URL}{IMG} your pic that on photo bucket/Imgur/whatever you have{/IMG}{/URL}

12 minutes ago, Dr.K Kerbal said:

They're linked from another site, like photobucket.

Today, Val earned herself a vacation by finally rescuing a pilot, Thompfel, from LKO. Besides being our second active pilot, Thom will be taking over operation of his former employer, Jeb's Junkyard & Spaceship Parts, following Jeb's untimely demise in a tragic Tourist rocket incident.

screenshot13_zpsoqixfu5x.png

This craft was a bit over-built. It surely didn't need the inline balute, and could have done with half the fuel or less on this stage, but capturing a capsule without any RCS was enough of a challenge that we needed to be cautious. Fortunately, following this mission we were able to upgrade our facilities and invest in some vital research. Hopefully future rockets won't be built of aircraft parts without more reason than "it's what fits."

I use Dropbox, less hassle than photobucket or similar as I don't need bother uploading photos, just bung it in the dropbox/public folder on my PC and right click to get the public link.

However I'm surprised someone saying to use URL tags, that doesn't seem to work for me on this site, however in the bottom right of the box I'm typing in is an "insert other media" button which gives an option to insert image from url

For ksp i just link straight from steam.

Finished assembling my interplanetary ship. Checked the delta V. Not enough. but here's the final assembly and going to the Mun.

4 Nervs and additional docking ports being sent up

D8FD446AF9CA6C85899DE101C92D881880ECBD2A#

A landing craft with all the science i can manage

DB889A82DD021FBF70EB8465BAC516CAEF9CA749

Burning to the Mun

1682283A65A9FDB930098E48B78EAB177825A470

Can;t remember if i'm leaving or returning from the Mun surface

FD7DB1AA4761D730A77E0BBDF993B2431AD5065C

Took the ship home, refuelled and headed out to minmus to pick up Jeb from the outpost. The scientists and engineers can stay there though.

Got enough science to get ion propulsion so will head down that route with satellites and maybe re-purpose the ship as a station as i think I'll need a lot more boosters and fuel. to go interplanetary.

Edited by bulletv1

Got my Asteroid Nagger prototype to orbit. Than sent up an ISRU crew along with fuel. Ready to catch my very first pet-rock! We'll have so much fun together once she's housebroken.

Val felt that this isn't the safest way to dock, but the engineers insisted.

Edited by Evanitis

[longPOST=true]

I didn't do many things, but I did much in general.

Firstly, I revised my B-17 to be a bit more faithful to the look of the actual B-17G; 

R3kwjnb.png

Now's for the fun part.

Yesterday, I launched the second module of my space station, after four launch attempts which all ended in failure; It was going to be my first docking of 1.0.5.

9aCRA63.png

Launch went well.

X25bhQL.png

3Yk57dG.png

And here comes the hard part; docking.

I was able to set up the rendezvous pretty easily, and I had a lot of spare fuel and Monoprop in my hands.

The thing was, you can't expect it to be easy docking long, impossible-to-maneuver things like this. Which is where I more or less.. got trouble.

gSz9ExP.png

I was close to it, but often I wasn't in the right positiion to dock, or i'd screw it up completely. 

It took me five hours from launch to rendezvous. Unfortunately, the game crashed during the docking.

I tried my best not to vent my frustration somewhere. I was lucky I quicksaved, otherwise.. that mission would've been a failure.

So today, I played around more; That's when I did my B-17 stuff.

FuKyzFW.png

9PNFIB2.png

I then remembered about my rendezvous, and decided to try it one more time.

When I loaded my quicksave, the main problem was I had no idea where prograde was. I was merely pointing to the target marker, and.. it often resulted in the ship going in directions I didn't want it to. Plus, it was night, and I barely had any visual guide.

Note to self: install lights.

Somehow, I was able to orient my ship, make it come to a full stop relative to the module, and spurt towards it.

iQL2D2M.png

zWudhfT.png

And here they are. They're practically the same.

Docking closer and closer.. until..

iaRwzOQ.png

..Bam.

It was satisfying as hell. My first docking in 1.0.5. And it took longer to set up than any other, and it looked like I was going to abandon it, but it worked.

And finally, the two engines of the two modules were still attached. I gave them a proper sendoff, since they served so well, by simultaneous separation.

S1OzPkb.png

Yay!

20 hours ago, GarrisonChisholm said:

I really like "personal rules" like this, though after from the Demo I have not had a desire to play Sandbox- not saying it couldn't be useful or fun, but just saying that Career has so far addressed all my entertainment needs.  One thing I intend to do when I start my 1.1 modded game is to actually write a mission plan for each flight.  I *wish* I knew someone personally as into this as I am (or one of my kids was 12), because it would be Really fun (in a very nerdy way) to have someone call off mission steps as Mission Control; "Stand by for for Booster Sep.  ...Booster Sep," then "Booster Sep Confirmed Flight."  ...gosh I'm a geek...  >.>   - model railroading enthusiasts probably have a synchronization here somewhere.

In my 1.02StockStill game I have crashed the 2nd Mars 1 lander prototype on the moon during its flight test.  At 128 tons, 4 Nervs might just be too low a T/WR for a safe landing Anywhere, so even though I now have my altitude deceleration marks noted I have designed Mars II with 8 Nervs.  The booster will need to be redesigned though as the total mass to orbit requirement has jumped to 154 tons.

I enjoy sandbox but the lack of either goals or meaningful limitations means I tend to get bored fast. Sure, I could build a rocket and fly to Duna, but why should I? To prove I can? I already know that. In career I have better actual reasons to launch missions than "cause I felt like it."

I am also thinking about putting more detailed planning into my next save, already got some ideas for how to go about it (some of which I'm testing out on my current save, like keeping track of shuttle missions and station expeditions). 

And yeah, the mission control thing would be a lot of fun. I know it's been done, I saw someplace somebody did a whole Mun landing and return where the pilot was basically locked in a room with a computer and flew the entire mission from IVA, while "Mission Control" downstairs looked at the map, maneuver nodes, etc. and radioed him instructions. Back when I was playing X-Plane, before I got into KSP, I used to do some online flying and it was extremely cool to have a dozen or so planes all flying around the same airport being directed by a human air traffic controller. Maybe this is the sort of thing we'll get to do once we get stock multiplayer post-1.1.

Anyway, still working on my old career.

GkmHxCK.jpg?1

Super Aqualung "Silver" arrived at Duna with a space station core module, where it rendezvoused with the old "Kazak" landing craft left in Duna orbit by the Rumfoord expedition several years ago.

VKa0aJp.jpg?1

Erithis took the "Eric Idle" rover out for a brief trip from Base Coalwood on Minmus to collect some science data from the surrounding biomes. Since the only previous use of the rover was an eastbound circumnavigation, the excursion marked the first time the rover had ever been driven in a westerly direction.

puVC5xq.jpg?1

Starlet Beatrix arrived at Coalwood (courtesy of its new landing rockets--this mission was my first time landing an SSTO on another planet). It dropped off the crew of Expedition 4, picked up Expedition 2 and the data from the rover trip, and refueled before departing for Bass II Station in Minmus orbit.

4x7XCPY.jpg?1

At Bass II, Beatrix dropped off the data and an additional scientist to bring the lab up to full operational capacity, as well as making some minor modifications to the station before undocking from the station and heading back to Kerbin.

8 hours ago, Dr.K Kerbal said:

If you use Imgur or another site, you can grab the direct link, the one with the file extension, and go into insert other media and insert image from URL.  You cannot upload images because of storage space on the servers.

6 hours ago, bulletv1 said:

Finished assembling my interplanetary ship. Checked the delta V. Not enough. but here's the final assembly and going to the Mun.

I am always surprised at ppl making inter-planetary ships using the "minimalistic approach". How much D-V did it have ?

Having marked Tylo off the list recently, I decided to begin work on completing my new year's resolution of landing on and returning from Eve.

The good news is the ship survived the descent, though I am pretty sure it was seconds away from total annihilation several times. What a ride! I have EVE 7-4 with Edge of Oblivion installed and the combination wraps the planet in thick white clouds almost to ground level. Fortunately, broke through the clouds over land. (Are liquid oceans actually even theoretically possible on Eve?) Sat down about 300 m above sea level. Surviving the landing, ship intact, is more than I have ever previously accomplished.

The bad news is I way underguessed the amount of dv required to leave and make orbit. I had 5000 dv and a TWR over 2. How much do I need?  

Playing around with some different rover-lander (my term for rovers that function as all-up landers) designs, plus a new LV-N drop-lander:

The little one is a modified version of something I already had, with fewer parts and a whole lot more delta-V.  Has a full science package.  Started out as a command seat on a 4x4 panel...then it grew. Like the 200% wheels. :)

The big one resulted after I realized what I was doing wrong with horizontal-tank rover-landers--need to use two tanks, with one being flipped 180 degrees, rather than just one, so the fuel drains evenly.  With that problem fixed, I built this that got into Kerbin orbit and then successfully landed.  I was designing a whole series of rover-landers built around a central vertical tank (usually a disc one from Fuel Tanks Plus), now I have another option.