Ability to rename empty/derilect ships

It would be great to be able to rename and re-classify empty/abandoned ships. These can be probes which have run out of electricity or ships which have run out of fuel with no hope of returning to Kerbin.

The ability to reclassify these to "debris" would help to keep the tracking station clean (taking advantage of the new filtering feature).

Here is an example of when this would be useful:

Jeb has landed on the Mun but his lander has toppled over and does not have any docking ports or fuel left. So a rescue mission is sent. Jeb is rescued but his ship is still on the Mun and is still classified as a ship in the tracking station.

I know it is possible to rename vessels through the save files, but having the ability to rename that empty ship as an ingame feature would be much more convenient and useful.

i dont see why we cant already, we should be able to rename any object ... i would like to be able to name the planets and moons myself after all half of astronomy is getting to name what u find and when the game comes out everything will need to be discovered would be great to name what u find right

• 1 month later...

You can rename ships but you cannot if they've run out of power. It seems that the Rename function is attached to the control module and requires power, this should be remedied - you don't need power to call something Debris.

• 2 months later...
You can rename ships but you cannot if they've run out of power. It seems that the Rename function is attached to the control module and requires power, this should be remedied - you don't need power to call something Debris.

Sorry to bring up old thread.

+1 this definitely needs to be added. I have a ship with loads of fuel but no power or docking ports and would love to rename it as debris. Does anyone know of any mods that do this?

I think you should have to get a kerbal out there to rename the ship, don't make it so easy for people.

We name stars all the time without going there :P If i point at a star and go "That's now allmappedout's star", I've renamed it (unofficially, of course). I don't have to touch it (painful!) to give something a name.

Half the point of renaming the vessel in this context is that you have left it behind. Going back creates the possibility of creating more debris, and repeating the cycle!

• 2 weeks later...

+1 I have a probe landing attempt on the Mun that wasn't quite as soft as I had planned. Only part that did survive was the probe body itself, and naturally has no power left. I would love to be able to label it debris instead of terminating its flight, as a monument of my first attempt at landing!

I am dumping fuel stages on my travels - the detached piece has a jumbo fuel tank, two docking ports, a few RCS motors and that's all - yet the game insists it's not debris and makes it a probe or a ship for some reason. And there's no way to change it as it doesn't have any control module. Renaming things e.g. from tracking station would be definitely useful.

• 1 year later...
You can rename ships but you cannot if they've run out of power. It seems that the Rename function is attached to the control module ...

In case anyone else is also trying to rename a unmanned tech-level 1 vessel without crew onboard, and also finds this thread: The renaming can now (ver. 1.0) be done from the tracking station.

• 4 weeks later...
Click the on the right side of the tracking station screen when you have a vessel selected, it will open the knowledge base, and from there you can rename any vessel by clicking its name.

I discovered this by accident and it surprised me and it probably surprises anyone who finds out about it. Why isn't this documented better or made more accessible in the UI?

For some reason what I wrote above makes no sense to me so I'm sorry if you can't understand it. :P

And no, English is my first language, but I'm terrible at writing outside of academic assignments.

I discovered this by accident and it surprised me and it probably surprises anyone who finds out about it. Why isn't this documented better or made more accessible in the UI?

You should copy that into a text file. You could say that about pretty much every single aspect of this game. Random examples:

Ctrl-z to undo in the VAB

Right-clicking things for science.

Left-clicking doors to transfer crew.

Right-clicking maneuver nodes to delete them. Or, to jump forward and backward an orbit.

Alt-">" to do physics warp in situations where just hitting ">" would regular warp.

For some reason what I wrote above makes no sense to me so I'm sorry if you can't understand it. :P

Made perfect sense to me, but I'm pretty warped. :D

And no, English is my first language, but I'm terrible at writing outside of academic assignments.

Well, you only need one of those ands, a comma would do fine for the first one, but I got the gist of that on the first time through. Just shows how important grammar really is to the brain, right?:wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.