SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

Fuel Tanker.

Delivers what is actually a woefully small amount of fuel for it's size. Pointlessly STOVL, glides like a brick and slightly lairy on landing a lot of the time. It's my new favourite :D

Javascript is disabled. View full album

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ouppqkiz8f5arb/Fuel%20Tanker%20C%20NMJ.craft

Requires B9 pack

1 - downward jets

2 - aux jet

3 - turbojets

4 - main rocket engines

5 - aux rockets enjines

I am proud to present another "Macey Dean" inspired craft.

Naval VTOL Pattern SSTO Fighter Prototype - Isprit SSTO Mk. VII - Inspired by the "Laythe Edition" VTOL Pattern Fighter Isprit, this variety was designed as an entirely independent Single Stage to Orbit craft.

10446511_10152465540656815_9212107766858538970_n.jpg

While it won't win any prizes for range, it does make orbit on it's own with just a tiny amount of fuel to spare, but it does carry plenty of monopropellant for orbital maneuvering.

10377027_10152465540486815_1634526260405606955_n.jpg?oh=062adde24a8487f308ac77478725f077&oe=542385E4

The vertical take off is nice and stable thanks in part to 6 Rockomax 48-77 engines pointed downwards and balanced well with the center of mass. A single Turbojet engine does a majority of the flying to carry it to 25 km in altitude at 1,400 m/s before two Rockomax 48-7S engines take over and carry this craft up to a low orbit.

10352554_10152465540701815_4882963364944887474_n.jpg

As of right now, because this is a prototype, this fighter is currently unarmed, but one can expect an armed variant soon.

Send me a pm if you would like a download link and I'll send one along.

GFgLHmw.png

3 Kerbal SSTO VOLUNTARY 2 Stage. That's what V2S means. Using:

Realism overhaul, real solar system, real engines, real engine engine ignitor, FAR, Real Fuels.

It uses 2 SSME's to get into orbit and Hydrolox Fuel with MNH hypergolics at the top stage.

~snip~

3 Kerbal SSTO VOLUNTARY 2 Stage. That's what V2S means. Using:

Realism overhaul, real solar system, real engines, real engine engine ignitor, FAR, Real Fuels.

It uses 2 SSME's to get into orbit and Hydrolox Fuel with MNH hypergolics at the top stage.

Panzer halt! Where did you get those launch clamps?

Panzer halt! Where did you get those launch clamps?

FASA launch clamps

If I can build an ssto using NASA designed engines (SSME's) and real life fuels, why can't NASA do it in real life?

FASA launch clamps

If I can build an ssto using NASA designed engines (SSME's) and real life fuels, why can't NASA do it in real life?

Does it work in RO scale Earth, where the atmosphere stops at 180km and with engine ignitor? And finally can it be developed and built for less than 1.5billion?

GYJJrPB.png

AMP7AMg.png

Without intaker spam, parts clipping, op mod parts, but make a real-ish ssto as I can.

Fully FAR compatible. (I build this under FAR condition)

It`s my first time SSTO, modifying a fabulous work of ssTALONps, ARX-3.

What I did is only making wings broader and replace engines with RAPIERs,

and Talon approved me saying and publishing this craft as my own work. What a generosity!

Using FAR and being noob make it super hard to build and fly SSTO, but a few days with agony I made it stable!

and it could deliver slightly more than 10t payload to LKO! (Fuel pod on the picture is not components but payloads.)

Here`s question: is RAPIER op in FAR? I don`t understand why this engine doesn`t flame out in so low air intaker. (indicator read 0.00)

Edited by FennexFox

Does it work in RO scale Earth, where the atmosphere stops at 180km and with engine ignitor? And finally can it be developed and built for less than 1.5billion?

YES its on RO scale earth AND I use real engines AND real engine ignitor AND TAC AND Remote tech AND DR etc.

I recently used the energiya rocket to replace the 2 ssme engines and added tail fins for roll control. I decided to use 1 powerful rocket over 2 ssme because... I really don't know. The 2 SSME rocket was smaller.

I don't know how much it will cost... but I bet it will be cheaper than launching the space shuttle. =)

EDIT: I went back and replaced the energiya booster with 2 ssmes again. They provide better control and are safer for the kerbals.

9McbnHq.png

Iz7ZHSJ.png

MaBbrZs.png

Those are pics of her on the way to her overshot (waay overshot) apoapsis.

Edited by TeeGee

This thread needs more SSTO rockets.

screen10.jpg

This one can get itself and up to 80 tons of payload (here represented by the NRAP Test Part) into a 70km orbit and then return and land safely, even on water (But not on mountains of course). I may be posting it and its smaller cousins later as part of a launcher pack.

My Skylon mk1 made it to LKO on first try! with about 150 fuel left.

Here it is ditching the cargo doors.

2a6qxdz.png

pancake and flat spin in lower atmosphere

28amgxu.png

safe emergency landing in the desert.

z5sib.png

I woke up this morning with a vision of this aircraft in my head. So, I spent a few hours putting it together to try and find out what exactly that means. I think it means "awesome", or, something to that effect. There's no hidden control surfaces and very few building tricks. Yet, it's super-maneuverable and hits space with enough dV to get a Mun or Minmus orbit. Subconsciously my brain has put together an amazing aircraft layout that simply works.

LOxuKvd.jpg

Here's the download because it's too good to wait for my next catalogue update.

Robin v1.0

I woke up this morning with a vision of this aircraft in my head. So, I spent a few hours putting it together to try and find out what exactly that means. I think it means "awesome", or, something to that effect. There's no hidden control surfaces and very few building tricks. Yet, it's super-maneuverable and hits space with enough dV to get a Mun or Minmus orbit. Subconsciously my brain has put together an amazing aircraft layout that simply works.

http://i.imgur.com/LOxuKvd.jpg

Robin v1.0

You know you play a lot of KSP when you solve building issues literally in your sleep. Good job! I looks cool. And no wonder it's very manoeuvrable, those control surfaces in the nose have a huge momentum arm with respect to the center of mass, yet most of the wing is behind it so it remains stable. A reverse tail if you will.

In other news, I have discovered that the "Delta Deluxe" winglets have a very weird unstabilizing effect if you mount them backwards! Once I found out that this "bug" was what was killing an otherwise very promising SSTO, it was like magic: I think I have built a ship both more manoeuvrable and stable than the White Dart... at twice the weight and with better T/W! I'm working out a good fuel combo to get the most in-orbit delta-v (it climbs so fast I didn't adjust liquid fuel right at first), but with full LFO mix KER reads >2.7km/s on the VTOL rocket engines. Yup, it is being designed to handle going up and down on all planets with atmosphere, including Duna, and right now 1.5km/s on orbit after takeoff seems a very reasonable target that I might surpass. That is perhaps enough for a Minmus mission if you are a good navigator, and certainly enough to get into orbit on any one of kerbin's moons and back to the runway!

3KPxCwc.png

Rune. So much for leaving the SPH alone for a while.

Here's the F-2 Stiletto.

screenshot198_zps7a461a8c.png

Gets up to 1600 m/s in the upper atmosphere, then bounces up off into a 100/100 orbit with about 40% of the tank to spare using the small landing engine... and that was burning retrograde.

I'm sure it's more successful flown correctly - it has a tendency to want to do a half loop when it takes off, though. Extremely recoverable though.

http://i.imgur.com/LOxuKvd.jpg

Robin v1.0

Looks a bit like the Aerotech Corsair aerospace fighter.

Corsair.jpg

You know you play a lot of KSP when you solve building issues literally in your sleep. Good job! I looks cool. And no wonder it's very manoeuvrable, those control surfaces in the nose have a huge momentum arm with respect to the center of mass, yet most of the wing is behind it so it remains stable. A reverse tail if you will.

I've also been developing a RL VTOL aeroplane for the last four years. So, I spend good chunks of the day thinking about it. Blender and XPlane are pretty good tools for prototyping but, nothing beats KSP for conceptualization. it's awesome just to play around with configurations. I feel more like I'm doing design work in KSP, not playing a video game. :)

Looks a bit like the Aerotech Corsair aerospace fighter.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/e/ea/Corsair.jpg

Wow, I own a first edition of that source book. I weep for MW:O. Coulda, shoulda woulda, but alas, neva will be.

Flying-wing cargo lifter SSTO, designed as a contestant to HOC's next series. It can lower its cargo bay to let rovers drive inside it and dock with the docking ring. Didn't make the submission as I didn't solve its stability issue before HOC's submission deadline.

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

E.jpg

Last photo has it dropping paratroops

Edited by goduranus