SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

4 hours ago, Rune said:

Whoa @Cinocal, that's big. It has the trouble that (I imagine) you have to balance the payload on each bay somewhat, but it's big. And sexy! :)

Thanks! It is around 410tons takeoff weight, it needs flaps to takeoff. Surprisingly it will carry any load with minor adjustments, two big oranges didn't require any balancing I just filled up all the tanks and made orbit first test flight. The center section is all fuel so I just move that around to get a good balance, the only time it is unstable is when it is completely dry on re-entry, so I just keep about 300fuel in the front most tank and it glides like a paper plane.

3 hours ago, Thingymajigy said:

Been away for a while, first SSTO since 1.0

Some experimenting with multi-hull designs. Works surprisingly well :)

That looks great, reminds me of the multi-role LKO SSTO I posted earlier! I love how you clipped the MK2 crew sections and bicouplers, it looks very flush. Is there any space left to turn it into a cargo version like below, or is it too crammed (or worse, would it invoke the anger of the clipping gods/Kraken)?

koqFFXl.png

Edited by Yakuzi

2 hours ago, Yakuzi said:

That looks great, reminds me of the multi-role LKO SSTO I posted earlier! I love how you clipped the MK2 crew sections and bicouplers, it looks very flush. Is there any space left to turn it into a cargo version like below, or is it too crammed (or worse, would it invoke the anger of the clipping gods/Kraken)?

Thanks! Yours looks cool too, and probably has more...acceptable clipping. :blush: Was trying a lot to get clean lines and the flat underside, probably no cargo version. Craft file if you want a look. Bit WIP

Furthest I've managed to get is a munar transfer:

qs56Med.png

Edited by Thingymajigy

Hi all,

an orange tank to LKO capable craft powered by just 4 rapiers.

It still needs more tweaking but the main feature is achieved, so it is good enough just for a "press release". 

Cheers.

I want to know if I'm wasting my time here. Anyone else manage to get a single engine VTOLSSTO below 10 tons to carry 2 tons working? I'm getting close but the way the engines have worked since they were redone makes it near impossible and air hogging just isn't practical anymore for such a light craft.

69qTPCc.png

Horizontal is pretty simple because that extra few tons that the engine was can be used as fuel or just shaved off, I've seen a few of those.

Edited by Spartwo

2 hours ago, Spartwo said:

I want to know if I'm wasting my time here. Anyone else manage to get a single engine VTOLSSTO below 10 tons to carry 2 tons working? I'm getting close but the way the engines have worked since they were redone makes it near impossible and air hogging just isn't practical anymore for such a light craft.

69qTPCc.png

Horizontal is pretty simple because that extra few tons that the engine was can be used as fuel or just shaved off, I've seen a few of those.

That's pretty cool looking for a small cargo SSTO Spartwo. It kind of reminds me of a small unmanned space fighter.

21 minutes ago, Speed_Kerman said:

That's pretty cool looking for a small cargo SSTO Spartwo. It kind of reminds me of a small unmanned space fighter.

Exactly what it is. V5-31, trying since atmosphere changed.

Edited by Spartwo

3 hours ago, Spartwo said:

69qTPCc.png

Maybe try taking off by standing on the tail? Technically that's a VTOL, though the "L" might be a bit more difficult...

Couple of mid ( by tree nodes rather than sci points ) career craft.

Older spaceplane modified to SSTO once I finally got a supersonic jet - admittedly a B9 engine but it's just a big Panther. Was meant to SS to Mun, but that was a fail so I had to chase it with a fuel stick...

27440865892_b081b40a25_b.jpg
27539760595_bb9a619d0d_b.jpg

Amusingly the docking counted as establishing a space station in Kerbin orbit...

First and probably last Mk2. Falls a bit short of what I want from it.

26931281433_50185b7ce1_b.jpg

And this is a self-launched satellite for a contract. I've no real idea why I didn't launch a rocket rather than building a spaceplane around it, but it's up there & if I can get fuel to it some day I guess it's reusable...

27505523526_b710da365f_b.jpg

I'm using AntennaRange, so I guess it's a handy relay for that at least.

Incidentally has anyone built a SSTO seaplane of any usable size? ie at least some passengers/cargo.

Edited by Van Disaster

7 hours ago, Van Disaster said:

Incidentally has anyone built a SSTO seaplane of any usable size? ie at least some passengers/cargo.

Probably missed this one. Payload capacity ~60t with 1000 m/s dV to spare in LKO.
Part count (payload included): 60 parts
Crew cabin with 6 seats, if you also count pilot that is 7 kerbonauts on craft
Cost: 327502 kerbobucks - might look expencive, but at the time you unlock parts for it, it should not be a problem
Cargo bay is created with 3 x 6m wide B9 S3 parts - offering decent room for anything that is within 60t limit.
You could put a bit more, but runway length become problem during take off.

Rp12MWC.jpg

Same craft in orbit, screenshot taken in one of test flights.

dOoZQWE.jpg

I belive that I'm near limit with this design. Craft use one medium sized SABRE engine and four small sized SABRE engine. Whole available thrust is same as two medium SABRE engines. More payload weight require additional engines.

Can you put it in a good use ?

On 6.04.2016 at 11:43 PM, Yakuzi said:

I completed a family of stock 2-seater SSTO spaceplanes in 1.0.5, involving a standard (Nova) and extended size airframe (Super Nova). Both sizes come in cargo (at least 6t), passenger and fuel variants, so you can tailor your craft for whichever Mk2 LKO (~100x100 km) mission you have in mind*.

KxoQAMV.png

Nova (left) vs Super Nova (right)32gha9F.png

Nova (download here)

Super Nova (download here)

When preparing for takeoff, make sure the craft is controlled from the "Mk2 Drone Core". Change variants in the SPH by detaching the docking port, deleting the cargo bay and inserting the preferred modules before re-attaching the docking port (make sure the struts from the tail connector B are attached properly). The action groups and flight profiles are described in the craft and KerbalX descriptions.
A couple of NBs:
1. If you have trouble with balance during descent, transfer some fuel forward.
2. Pitch up to negate craft banking after landing should it occur.
3. If you find the Nova a bit twitchy, try the Super Nova as it's more balanced.

Nova (left) and Super Nova (right) variants1zHZFUr.jpg

* Ok, not all missions, cause, let's be honest, there are some whacky creative minds on this forum...

I love the design! It's a rotated mk2 cockpit, isn't it?

Makes me wish we already had a proper mk2 nose piece.

Mid-game ( by science cost rather than tech tree ) Kerbin system airframe. I considered doing the whole LKO transfer station thing, but I'd have to keep sending missions to refuel it & in the end I decided it's not worth the extra hassle, so most airframes can land on Minmus/reach Mun orbit and return with enough fuel to retroburn a bit rather than spending in-game days aerobraking. Rather spritely when defuelled for the occasional LKO trip.

1.25m sized frame configured for a rescue mission - everything forward of about mid-wing to the front of the cockpit can swap out for cargo/science packages/whatever.

27057419774_87d4f7a95d_b.jpg

Cargo config ( just grabbing a bunch of missed science ) - doesn't really seem to matter how long it gets.

27060669253_248937cbac_b.jpg

Somewhat borderline on nuclear thrust, which I discovered trying a Mk2 version... it works, but horribly expensive. Will probably work better when I get better jets unlocked.
27390908910_e0ae0d769d_b.jpg

Edited by Van Disaster

The Starwhal MK3b.

SsGLTRpl.png

This thing was really built around those lovely Planetary Base Systems parts, which feel so homey that I wanted to take them on a long duration mission. Uses Planetary Base Sysems, USI Life Support, KER. Shout-out to RCS Build Aid which helped a great deal in keeping thrust torque to a minimum for any fuel state.

o9clsiHl.jpg

I just love those K&K interiors, and the MK2 cockpit is pretty neat too.

jjLs2Uvm.png L9HVGOSm.png W36OgIrm.png 

0oATaj6m.png 58IuxnQm.png 3HuthIpm.png

Comes with a science and exploration bay with a little rover tucked inside:

EQHkL9xm.png z8Jg9T1m.png i9SOjEcm.jpg

And an engineering bay with ISRU, drill, cooling and power. Regular power needs met by NUKs, no solar power:

U2WNd3dm.png S2vTfp6m.png ctURB0Vm.png

It'll VTOL onto airless bodies, with a TWR sufficient for even Duna. Rover warranty void if operated in low-g environments.

iNqOXeim.jpg iDUnNgBm.png 

It'll make LKO with about 300 m/s left, but after a resupply it should see you to the Mun or Minmus after which Duna should be little problem, and you may just limp in to Laythe, but for a real Jool mission I intend have a low-g vacuum ISRU lander accompany it that can meet it in low orbit of the moons to top it when it comes back up.

Fully fueled and loaded with 6 t. of fertilizer, it has a vacuum dv 3.26 km/s (1.05 km/s at a Kerbin TWR of 1.13-1.59 from rapiers, 2.24 km/s from LV-N at 0.11-0.14 Kerbin TWR). Funnily enough, leaving out most of the oxidizer and relying on LV-Ns to boost the range only adds another about another 250 m/s to the range according to KER. Go figure.

With a full load of fertilizer, it should allow a three or four kerbal crew to do about a 10 year mission.

Albums: Trials at KSC:

Ascending to LKO:

Puttering around Minmus with the MK2 (link): http://imgur.com/a/ofa8c

Technical details and operating instructions (link): http://imgur.com/a/rG012

Craft file here: https://kerbalx.com/Fyunchclick/Starwhal-MK3b

This one's basically "what if Skylon didn't have canards".

It's unmanned, of course, and capable of launching anything that'll fit inside to LKO. It can also retrieve loads from orbit and land them, hence the inclusion of RCS in spite of the lack of an external docking port.

Lots of pitch authority, which is needed because the flaperons cause a nasty shift in pitch trim when extended. The flaperons are there to limit the angle of attack on approach; this thing is prone to tail strikes.

I'm quite pleased with how sleek this ended up looking.

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma
Front 3/4 view.

Rear 3/4 view.

Up, up, and away...

...In a hurry.

On orbit.

Close-up of the payload bay.

Planform view, with CoM and CoL overlaid.

Edited by Jens Lyn IV

hi all.

This is my first SSTO.

EDIT: Version 1.1.2 Stock

Built and flown a few weeks ago. I was quite pleased with the aesthetics of it.

At first I couldn't imagine why you would want one. But they are cool it turns out.

So here it is. The early canard version followed by the better one. It goes up well enough. Coming down is touch and go. Flies badly. Just refuse to change heading.

I have worked a few more versions. They fly better. Just refuse to scale up. Work in progress.

81pEzk6.png3yWnnhd.pngcwsMW5X.pngzOdOWDO.png2KS9YCk.pngas1ry2D.pngoSzFICS.pngBjaAKyZ.pngSNzne1Q.pngtpilLQW.png2jqn5if.pngdykLnSm.pngoBlL8B6.pnggcwicKV.pngIU9lCgh.png

QUESTION:

How do you get the compact image display thing-a-ma-bob?

Edited by Martian Emigrant

34 minutes ago, Martian Emigrant said:

QUESTION:

How do you get the compact image display thing-a-ma-bob?

Make an album on Imgur & use the custom-dbef5c2547ac7ebb90612e25ad91f36e. icon to embed it. A little tip for spaceplane construction - less is more! less engines means less fuel, which means less wing loading & less AoA, which is less drag, which means less fuel lost to anything except achieving orbital velocity. Also less dead mass on re-entry.

Well, used the wings from the rapid spaceplane above & swapped the engines for stock Rapiers, and then built the rest of it out of stock & B9 Mk2 parts. Almost as quick, not quite... payload bay is rather smaller too. Easier to stuff a LV-N on the back for going to moons though, I think.

27627724182_21aa6bd6f7_b.jpg

Edit: yup, this will go anywhere ( probably make it to Duna even ).

27450711010_bf1fef314a_b.jpg

There is a logistics advantage in SS-there&back I'm appreciating at the moment; in terms of a single mission it's not the most efficient but the efficient way implies a logistics chain already existing, and that needs maintaining.

Edited by Van Disaster