[0.22] Extraplanetary Launchpads Legacy Thread

skykooler

Hey guys, can someone help me out? I have this mod and it works great, except for one problem. After scanning, its really hard to see where ore is located because the color of the tiles does not change. Is this supposed to happen? It makes a different sound when scanning. I heard it was supposed to show up orange on the map but its just the normal gray. Can someone please help me?

Hey guys, can someone help me out? I have this mod and it works great, except for one problem. After scanning, its really hard to see where ore is located because the color of the tiles does not change. Is this supposed to happen? It makes a different sound when scanning. I heard it was supposed to show up orange on the map but its just the normal gray. Can someone please help me?

It sounds like you need to switch the map from showing Kethane to Ore, which you can do by clicking the little arrows in the Kethane window.

Hello, I've been having a lot of fun playing around with the extra-planetary mod, and would like to share a few pics of my first actual extra-planetary launch to orbit:

Here is my ore, and kethane mining, launchpad rover:

ExqFVx6.png

6q5OypY.png

I must admit to some config editing (Resized large keth drill and outfitted it to drill ore, reduced weight of small launchpad, added another zero to the capacity on the large rocket part container... just to name a few). Some would call it cheating, but I'm considering it an enhancement of fun.

But for my intents and purposes I am thrilled!!! As is Jeb. Here he is on the first space rocket built and lauched on another planet:

3VtPPG2.png

Sorry I didn't get a pic of it on the launchpad and right at launch.. I was too excited to remember to hit the F1 button. :)

I want to say a big THANKS! to the author of this mod, and to those who have collaborated to make my Kerbal Space Journey exciting again.

Peace and kindness

-Chumley

Edited by MrChumley

I must admit to some config editing (Resized large keth drill and outfitted it to drill ore, reduced weight of small launchpad, added another zero to the capacity on the large rocket part container... just to name a few). Some would call it cheating, but I'm considering it an enhancement of fun.

The doctor called. He wants his TARDIS back (you just crammed 10m3 of parts into 1m3 of space :P).

i think i found a bug! i had kethane installed, and on the spaceport page it says to replace the current MMI_Kethane DDL (in the kethane folder i assume) with the one provided in the download, but when i do crazy things start to happen. all the kethane parts are broken and unplacable in the editor, and one almost crashed my game. please help!

So I have covered this thread quite well and aside from changing the ‘SpawnHeightOffset’ to 12 like recommended to another user, I’m not seeing a lot of resolution to the strange explosion of the root component.

So I would have been happy with the 12 meter drop to get my rovers where I want them but something strange is happening as I bring addition “pad spawned†items.

As I launch a rover, I will let it drop and then roll it 200 meters away for safe distance. As I launch a different rover and roll it over to the other awaiting craft, the root items destructs as the come close, ~100 m.

I don’t seem to have this issue at my other Launchpad on the Mun, just the one over my Kethane field I want to build a base on. I hope to find out more on this issue.

Srilania: you are trying too hard. Why ship parts when you can ship metal, a pad, a workshop, and just enough parts storage to build larger parts storage?

One large parts hexcan -> 1 small parts hemisphere.

Above -> 1 medium parts hemisphere (enough storage for the small smelter and auger).

Above (3 storage parts) -> 1 medium parts sphere.

You can now build most anything you will need to build a base, including a large parts sphere (storage for 96t of parts!).

I did the above with a seed of 8.1t of metal (7.3t of parts).

What parts spheres? I tried to land a setup with just the smelter, an ore drill, and the bare essentials to get it going. Also sent as a seperate craft, the refinery to turn metal to rocket parts. End results, crash crash crash, and the one time I could land without crashing? Would not drill me ore. I've tried to mod kethane drills, since kethane platforms seem to work landing, but I can't seem to get them working either to drill ore. I'm either missing something, or I'm just not smart enough to dope out a way to modify this to suit my needs. Mind you, I used to use the spherical launchpads, with the additional code that allowed the pad to drill, smelt, and refine.

Srilania: The spherical tanks require the older version of this mod to be installed (the newer version comes with its own EL compatible tanks).

DrewBlue: (I may be wrong, but...) if your "root parts" are self destructing as they come close, then that is not EL's bug, as any opportunity for an EL related explosion has long passed. All explosions caused by EL are when physics kicks in (ie, before you can control your vessel).

DrewBlue: (I may be wrong, but...) if your "root parts" are self destructing as they come close, then that is not EL's bug, as any opportunity for an EL related explosion has long passed. All explosions caused by EL are when physics kicks in (ie, before you can control your vessel).

taniwha, You may be correct but unfortunately the time it took me to test the situation exhausted my night. After the root items self destructed, I checked the logs (F3) and they said they impacted with the Mun. So something strange is coming into play. Perhaps once I learn to edit the saved files and find ways to place things around the Mun without the EL mod installed would be a good control. It was sad because the first ship that exploded was a Mun bus transferring 10 Kerbal's, it was a massacre. :(

Ok, I see what you mean. I've tried the landing and making stuff. Rovers get stuck on the pad, and new ships, I crash into the surface. But, my point I am trying to make is that Orbital Construction plugin has a 3d printer that takes kethane, and transforms it into rocket parts. I know it's a simple modeling thing, not a major coding thing, but more parts like that would be helpful, since the current models for the smelter and rocket builder are difficult to manage on a planet.

Srilania: the rocket parts "workshop" does indeed leave a lot to be desired (I modified the HOME2 hab module to act as one), but I think the smelter is actually too easy to move around and certainly too small for its processing capacity. The augers feel about right.

Hmm... Rovers stuck on the pad. I haven't tried with stock wheels, but of the wheel sets I have used (Touhou Torpedo, RollKage, RBI Tracks), only RBI Tracks got "stuck" on the pad (they just would not drive: I used the KAS winch+magnet I had put on the rover to get it off). This is with the Hooligan Labs pad (only one I've actually used so far).

I seem to have encountered an issue wherein any new craft I design, even ones made entirely of stock parts, do not appear in the list of craft when accessing the launchpad. I've tried craft with older mod parts, craft with only stock and EL parts, and purely stock parts, and the result is the same. Earlier craft using mod parts are still available, but the newer craft seem to be absent.

Srilania: the rocket parts "workshop" does indeed leave a lot to be desired (I modified the HOME2 hab module to act as one), but I think the smelter is actually too easy to move around and certainly too small for its processing capacity. The augers feel about right.

Hmm... Rovers stuck on the pad. I haven't tried with stock wheels, but of the wheel sets I have used (Touhou Torpedo, RollKage, RBI Tracks), only RBI Tracks got "stuck" on the pad (they just would not drive: I used the KAS winch+magnet I had put on the rover to get it off). This is with the Hooligan Labs pad (only one I've actually used so far).

The smelter shape is not the issue, it's the attachment points. Often, it's not able to set right, it gets unstable, and parts fall off. Since the ore smelter is the same shape as the hexcans, I thought a simple model replace would do the job, and a similar one for making rocketparts. Or, one like the 3d printer for the orbital launchpad plugin, but turning ore to metal, and metal to rocketparts, instead of Kethane to rocketparts

This is my miner/smelter in its entirety (well, almost: it has two KAS connectors on the far end, and an MJ unit (accident: forgot to remove it after double checking the mass)):

miner-smelter.jpg

I was relocating the unit after having gotten my base well under way. When I initially built the unit at my base (I had just enough metal to build two parts tanks and the unit), I just simply dragged everything off the pad using KAS winches (took a lot of EVA work swapping winch connections around).

To illustrate what is probably the same bug:

Example craft, using only stock, Kethane, and EL parts

http://i.imgur.com/zdMMxCc.png

The craft showing up in the SPH craft list

http://i.imgur.com/DLZq2EV.png

A testing launchpad

http://i.imgur.com/d2cbV8x.png

The launchpad on the runway, unfolded

http://i.imgur.com/BMxMwz3.png

Conditions of the launchpad

http://i.imgur.com/yIDkBTX.png

Test craft does not appear in the list of craft for the SPH from the launchpad

http://i.imgur.com/pbR0sgM.png

Identical situation when searching for the craft in the VAB craft list

http://i.imgur.com/BNLwABX.png

Lyinginbedmon: now that is informative. I've double checked when I fixed a certain issue and I have a suspicion about what's going on: you copied a save directory to create a test (or even just EL) save, and then created the relevant craft. If that is true, then the problem is the way EL locates the Ships directory (and thus the VAB and SPH directories in there): EL checks the "name" of the save (which, apparently, isn't visible anywhere) and constructs the name from that. Unfortunately, if you copy a save, even though the visible name changes, the name EL sees does not. This is actually easy to fix: edit the persistence file such that the Title (line 4 for me) is "correct":

Title = test (Sandbox)

The "test" part needs to match the directory name of the save directory (in KSPROOT/saves). Alternatively, rename the directory.

I ran into this problem when I renamed my "default" save to something else and got no ships because the Title still said "default (Sandbox)".

I have fixed this bug in my local tree (EL now looks in the right place for the save directory).