In the spirit of cooperation and competition

Nauthy

Hehe, that's a pretty awesome trailer. I was planning on changing up the opening post anyways to reflect the recent changes, so I'll make sure to throw that in. I also spoke to Goose last night and we should have his stuff up soon. And if not, Ima kick his ass :)

I assumed everyone who's been around the thread recently is interested in the Duna build. I'll put together a list and we can add more peeps as needed, including anyone who might be interested from Cake's list. And yes, still haven't contacted any of them, I blame... well, I don't have a great excuse :P

Any idea what the part limit is?

Because my module currently clocks in at 24 parts. If the limit's low enough, I might be able to add some RCS fuel.

Yay for single launches! Although the new parts still need to be retextured. They don't look... hm... kerbal enough.

Edited by CakeNinjaProductions

I figure we can probably stick with the current limits, 40 for the ground base and 60 for the station. We could even go up to 50 for the base, if everyone's cool with it. It might not be a bad idea to have all the ground modules on wheels, just in case. We can move things around this way and set up two bases, if we run into huge framerate issues after a while.

Another idea we could think about would be to have two limits per base. So, we could do, say, 30 and 50 for the ground base and maybe 50/70 for the station? If you stick to the lower limit, you'd then be allowed to set up another module (again with the lower limit) for whichever base you haven't added to yet. Or alternatively just do one module using the higher limit. Should give everyone more to do!

Still, people might run into fps issues, so it might not be doable unless we tweak some of the details.

I figure we can probably stick with the current limits, 40 for the ground base and 60 for the station. We could even go up to 50 for the base, if everyone's cool with it. It might not be a bad idea to have all the ground modules on wheels, just in case. We can move things around this way and set up two bases, if we run into huge framerate issues after a while.

Another idea we could think about would be to have two limits per base. So, we could do, say, 30 and 50 for the ground base and maybe 50/70 for the station? If you stick to the lower limit, you'd then be allowed to set up another module (again with the lower limit) for whichever base you haven't added to yet. Or alternatively just do one module using the higher limit. Should give everyone more to do!

Still, people might run into fps issues, so it might not be doable unless we tweak some of the details.

A base on wheels could be a nice idea, but it'd take part count and every model would be obligated to provide power to itself. Might not be a big problem, but why wheels when you can Klaw everything? ;-)

That's true, I didn't even think about the part count. You'd have to account for at least 5 parts that way (4 wheels and a RTG/solar panel). Maybe less if you can use three wheels, but that's when things get funky.

What do you mean by "Klaw"? That's probably a reference I'm too dumb to get :) I also thought of a couple of alternatives to the wheels. The easiest would be to have a "tow truck" type vehicle that can push the modules around. Or we could have a skycrane to move things around. Either a normal skycrane, or one on wheels, like a construction crane. All that would require is one docking port per module, to be placed on top.

And I figure there may be some confusion as to what we're building next. Operation Duna first, then asteroid fun times!

That's true, I didn't even think about the part count. You'd have to account for at least 5 parts that way (4 wheels and a RTG/solar panel). Maybe less if you can use three wheels, but that's when things get funky.

What do you mean by "Klaw"? That's probably a reference I'm too dumb to get :) I also thought of a couple of alternatives to the wheels. The easiest would be to have a "tow truck" type vehicle that can push the modules around. Or we could have a skycrane to move things around. Either a normal skycrane, or one on wheels, like a construction crane. All that would require is one docking port per module, to be placed on top.

And I figure there may be some confusion as to what we're building next. Operation Duna first, then asteroid fun times!

This is the Klaw: The Kerbal Linear Asteroid Wielder. The Kerbal Long-distance Actuator Widget. Also known as Advanced Grabbing Unit: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Advanced_Grabbing_Unit.

It grabs stuff, as far as i know. Mostly asteroids. But also space station modules and base pieces :3. And Kerbals :P.

Which is why i think a crane would be the easier option. If we wanna prod things around, you'll still lose 4 parts in the most general case because not many modules like goes up bumps in Duna's terrair without falling over or exploding if you dont attach wheels.

However, your idea of a wheeled crane seems awesome. We wouldn't be dependent on any form of fuel except locally generated ElectricCharge, and it could work nicely with The Klaw, which gives us a bit more room in terms of height variation.

Edited by Spyritdragon

Heh, can you tell I haven't played around with the new patch yet? :/

I'm gonna have to mess around with some designs for a mobile crane with a Klaw, 'cause it certainly sounds very useful. Otherwise we can go with Cake's idea. One docking port under the CoM should be enough for a rover to use for moving around.

The top one is basically what I imagined for a construction crane, with a KLAW (now that I know what it is) up top instead of the docking port.

The second one looks really neat, though. I like how it's a multi stage design that snaps onto the sides. It would work for any size and we could even hook up a bunch together for mass travel.

The big docking port might be too much for any ground modules. We'll probably use the regular size ports for the base and big ones for the station.

Anyways, they might not be so important on the ground, unless we plan on docking modules together. As nice as that would be, we saw from the Minmus base that it's not so easy. We'd need to set a standard height for docking port placement. If anyone's familiar with HOC Gaming's Not a Mun Base series, you'll remember he used a small rover with a port up front as reference, we can do something similar.

I know this might be treason (and really rude),

But this is the one-month anniversary of us waiting for Goose to do his module (meaning that we've officially spent about 1/10 of all time since KSPCB began waiting for him),

So I was thinking, just maybe, we could come back to him later?

I think this would be possible, we simply start building the Duna base and then when he submits the old save, we just open his save file and copy paste his module in, I would probably send a science lab to minmus myself just to check it out...

But ya, it would be best to be very polite if we tried any form of workaround...

Heh, don't worry about it, I completely agree. I spoke to him last week and he was gonna work on it over the weekend, but he may not have had a chance. Or he's just being lazy :P I'll give him a poke later to see what's up. And I'm friends with him, so you can talk bad and I won't mind!

That means it's up to me to get the next phase going. I've been pretty busy over the past couple of weeks, so unfortunately I haven't had a chance to do much of anything. I can't even remember the last time I played KSP :( No worries, though, I'll get my ass in gear and build something for this weekend.

In the meantime, if anyone's interested in doing an individual build, you're more than welcome to! I mentioned something about that a page or two back. The Mun or Minmus are available (even Kerbin if you want), just make sure to keep it away from the render distance of other builds.

Or, maybe, it should be able to be manipulated/reassembled to create something drive-able.

Also, I was thinking about making a ground module because I don't have many parts, are we using HOC's system (which would be good, considering stuff will probably have a lot of wheels) or are we making up our own?

Also, how's it going, Nauthy?

Edited by CakeNinjaProductions

Sorry guys, between work and family stuff, I had an insanely busy Easter weekend. I've got the next few days off, though, so I'll be getting back into this KSP thang. Gonna build the module tonight and hopefully get the video out soon as well.

Man, Whackjob. What a crazy dude. Love his builds. Him and Thor should hook up for some epic insane creations, heh.

As for the docking port thing, I think HOC's system works quite well. Nice and simple. I'll build a small rover we can use for reference and include it with the persistence.

Sorry guys, between work and family stuff, I had an insanely busy Easter weekend. I've got the next few days off, though, so I'll be getting back into this KSP thang. Gonna build the module tonight and hopefully get the video out soon as well.

Man, Whackjob. What a crazy dude. Love his builds. Him and Thor should hook up for some epic insane creations, heh.

As for the docking port thing, I think HOC's system works quite well. Nice and simple. I'll build a small rover we can use for reference and include it with the persistence.

He'd launch both of our stations in one go xD

Well, I kinda scrapped the material I had, heh. I built the module and started recording, but then partway through the trip to Duna I got a couple of neat ideas to do things differently. I felt like the video woulda been kinda boring the way it was. So as it stands right now I need to rebuild part of the module (the probe that's going down go the surface) and rerecord everything. It won't take long, but unfortunately I'm busy with work for the rest of the weekend. I'll get it done on Monday for sure!

I still need to update the opening post and get in touch with some othsr KSP youtubers, too. Man, I'm bad at organizing things, heh...

And I meant to thank you for the surprise on the launch pad, Cake! Gonna have some fun with it in the video

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.