In the spirit of cooperation and competition

Nauthy

I'm sorry, I haven't had a chance to contact any of the peeps that Cake mentioned. I'll get on that right away. Speaking of which... Cake, I'll take you up on that offer of help if it's still there :) if there's anyone you've interacted with before it may be less awkward if you get in touch with them.

I've also spoken to Goose and he's currently working on a couple of modules, one for the station and the other for the ground base. His video should go up this week.

As for where to next, if we don't want to bother withh the mun, I would probably say a station around eve or duna might be doable.

Alright, Cupcake gave me a "not right now", since he can't make any promises right now as he's busy. I told him we might be able to slot him in later if he was still interested.

So, as for the build order, can I request to be put near the beginning and on the station? I don't want to reveal what my module is yet, but

1) I'm almost done building.

2) There's 12 of them (or more, depending on part count)

3) They will be useful to people that follow me.

4) I will tell anyone what it is if they guess it right, because why not.

Thanks!

-Cake

Edited by CakeNinjaProductions

Sounds good, Cake! I'll keep that in mind when I work out the build order for the next phase. And my guess is...some sort of a modular tug boat system! And if not, then I might end up doing something like that, hehe.

Quick rules question:

Does it count towards the part count if you add more modules more than 3 or so km from the base/station (so it doesn't contribute to lag)

Because if it doesn't, I might send some spares up to in case the other ones break/run out/outlive their usefulness (still not telling you what they are)

Btw, you didn't guess it right. But boats? For a space station? That would look amazing.

Welcome aboard, Heretic! Glad to have you!

Alright, so if I'm not mistaken, here's everyone who hasn't put a module in the Minmus base/station yet:

TheCanadianVendingMachine

Holo

Goosexi

So with any luck, we'll be at the Duna base in 5 years!

Which is why I'm suggesting that we overlap the two projects so that we can have the new people doing some stuff before they slowly begin to disperse, but also not cut off the remaining contributors.

Yes, I am overly exited about this. Well, about everything.

Also, Heretic, if you know Vaos and/or Cruzan, feel free to invite them here yourself.

I might be able to participate, I was planning on doing a video on minmus bases anyways, infact an entire save file dedicated to it, but I might as well join this...

question 1 : what mods ? if any ?

guess this could bolster my 4 subs :P

edit : should I think about the space station or the ground base, or both ?

I might be able to participate, I was planning on doing a video on minmus bases anyways, infact an entire save file dedicated to it, but I might as well join this...

question 1 : what mods ? if any ?

guess this could bolster my 4 subs :P

edit : should I think about the space station or the ground base, or both ?

Welcome, Nemrav! (Nice name.)

This is the information about mods Nauthy has given us:

"Mods - they are sort of allowed, just not on the final module. It's no problem if you use mods for the launch, as long as whatever you leave behind on the station is built solely from stock parts." There is a full list of rules at the beginning of this thread.

And if as for the station/ground base, Nauthy ususally assigns positions, but seems to be okay with requests.

We are actually about to move on to the Duna base (I think) but if you still wan't to contribute to the Minmus base/station, he often slots people in at the last second, if you ask him nicely.

-Cake

P.S. How do you make a profile picture for the forums?

thanks, the name i use has some personal gaming history behind it...

thanks for telling me about moving to duna, i've only really done a couple of landers for it, so it'l be a challenge (always nice). Although I hate making stations compared to ground bases, i'm fine with either.

I'm going to go completely stock, except for my flag, which I'l post with the save...

On your note about profile pic, What I did was used gimp (its free but nearly on par with photoshop) made a jpg (if you want an image of size, you need to) that had the max pic specs you are allowed to use, made the picture, and uploaded it directly. You could also upload to imgur and link the pic..

go on "change your avatar" in the settings

Quick rules question:

Does it count towards the part count if you add more modules more than 3 or so km from the base/station (so it doesn't contribute to lag)

Because if it doesn't, I might send some spares up to in case the other ones break/run out/outlive their usefulness (still not telling you what they are)

Btw, you didn't guess it right. But boats? For a space station? That would look amazing.

I really like that idea. Have sort of like a storage depot with any extra parts or modules we might need. So yea, that's totally cool!

And I believe you're correct, those are the people that haven't uploaded anything yet. Goose is working on his right now (he'll be doing two modules, one for the station and another for the ground base), but I haven't heard from Holo or TheCanadian in a while.

Also, welcome to Heretic and Nemrav! Like Cake mentioned, all the rules we've set out so far are in the opening post. Any suggestions for changes are always welcome, but we should be good for now. And if you guys know others that might be interested in this, please invite them! It's less awkward than getting a private message from me, just out of the blue, hehe.

And Nemrav, if you'd like to contribute something to the Minmus station/base, you're more than welcome to! I believe the ground base still needs some work, though it's certainly been getting better. I'm not sure what Goose is building for it, so maybe you want to wait until he uploads his persistence? Though it wouldn't be a huge deal if we get duplicate modules, since they'd likely look very different.

They were active at first and it seemed like we were good for Minmus build, but I guess life got in the way because they haven't been around since. Granted, I haven't PMed them recently to ask what's up, but I feel like that shouldn't be necessary. I'm willing to message people a few times when it's their turn, which I did for them and received positive responses. Chances are that if they haven't posted here in a while, it's probably because they've been busy and/or lost interest in the project/KSP.

I'd like it if people that are in the project are also active in the discussion here (I know I personally haven't been too good at that lately :(), since it ensures that things we talk about actually show up in the builds. It also makes the whole thing more of a team effort, rather than a bunch of random stuff being thrown together. And it means I don't have to constantly PM people asking about their progress, it really does feel like I'm being annoying, heh.

In other news, my internet has been spotty at the best of times over the past couple of weeks, so apologies for my disappearance. My damn router is so old and crappy that it just dies at random every 20 minutes or so. Rebooting it fixes it...for the next 20 minutes. So yeah, it's been a bit frustrating. I'll be upgrading my connection soon, though, and this leads to my next thought. I'll be doing some livestreaming once I have everything set up, and I think it'd be pretty cool if we could do live KCBP stuff. I know leax also streams and I'm willing to bet others do/are able to. We'd be able to do building, launching, much discussion, etc. It's something to supplement the thread here, just an idea.

Anyways, Goose should be just about done with this modules, at which point we can move on to Duna. I still have yet to get in touch with the people on that list (fail) but I will do so in the next few days. And of course, if anyone still wants to do anything for the Minmus build, go ahead! The station is probably good for now, but that ground base could always use more improvement.

EDIT: I realize the first couple of paragraphs in this post kinda make me look like a jerk. I simply want more people than just the handful of us to be active in both building and discussion, not just the former. More activity means faster builds! (hopefully)

Edited by Nauthy

I've made an entire save preparing for the duna base, mainly to test concepts (the only one so far killed 80% of a VERY large crew) but my launcher seems to be fine, right concept, works but needs a major redesign....

will we make a completely new save or will we be able to attach solid fuel to the minmus station and tow it to duna ?

other activities : practiced docking, seems easier than the last time I tried... and I even forgot rcs (2 flt-800s stacked and and the only way to dock was, well... easier than when I do have rcs...)..

Hope this update makes me "active" :)

For the duna base.... We should set it at the Kerbal face or some other big anomolie like the southern pyramid... not the curiosity rover though as you can only see it on high quality terrain (I can't see it)... Unless there's a really good reason not to...

ok, major redesign of my launcher is complete, next week i'l make a video on it... to give you an idea of how powerful it is, it has enough dV to simply burn straight up full throttle to get a straight on impact course with the mun, slow down for a landing and go back to kerbin (orbit this time instead)...

when will we begin ?

edit : only meant to say I was ready....

Also on a side note, since when has anybody gotten a perfect equatoral encounter with duna ?, we need to have something of interest at our landing site don't we ?

Edited by Nemrav

ok, major redesign of my launcher is complete, next week i'l make a video on it... to give you an idea of how powerful it is, it has enough dV to simply burn straight up full throttle to get a straight on impact course with the mun, slow down for a landing and go back to kerbin (orbit this time instead)...

when will we begin ?

Yes, I like the sound of anomalies. The only problems are that 1) It might not be on the equator and 2) Some people don't like spoilers. And we're a bit low in the audience front already.

Also, you seem to be bragging a bit about your launch stage. I'll have you know I was just preparing for a triple round trip to Ike. Shall we have a launch stage duel?

(No idea how such a duel would work, though)

When will we begin? That is truly the ultimate question, the match of many philosophers. Does the following quote help?

Anyways, Goose should be just about done with this modules, at which point we can move on to Duna.

edit : only meant to say I was ready....

Also on a side note, since when has anybody gotten a perfect equatorial encounter with duna ?, we need to have something of interest at our landing site don't we ?

Well, it might just be a bit easier considering we'll have a space station. But I guess it doesn't have to be equatorial.

If the problem is that we want an interesting landing site, however... I know of a very fun crater we could use. I'll see if I can go find it.

EDIT: Found it! Coordinates 0, 150.

0Kv1bWk.png

If you want to see a from-the-ground view, here's a video link: http://youtu.be/Tp6yj2k0Fpc?t=5m17s

I also forgot to mention that the crater is about 2 km wide and 7 km deep.

Well, it might just be a bit easier considering we'll have a space station. But I guess it doesn't have to be equatorial.

If the problem is that we want an interesting landing site, however... I know of a very fun crater we could use. I'll see if I can go find it.

EDIT: Found it! Coordinates 0, 150.

http://i.imgur.com/0Kv1bWk.png

If you want to see a from-the-ground view, here's a video link: http://youtu.be/Tp6yj2k0Fpc?t=5m17s

I also forgot to mention that the crater is about 2 km wide and 7 km deep.

This seems like a nice place, but forcing ourselves to approach 7 kilometres over "Duna zero level" will dramatically reduce the possibility for aerobraking from orbit.

May i also suggest someone send a few fuel tanks along with their module in seperate craft? One can never have too much fuel outside of Kerbins SOI, especially if we're trying to get a full surface base and station set up.

Whoops, I read off the numbers wrong. It's actually 7 km wide and 2 km deep (at the shallowest point) Approaching from prograde, it's about a 4km lip, which means you can approach safely at about as low as 30 degrees (assuming the base is exactly at (0, 150) and my slope formula is correct), which is almost as low as you could wish for. And on Duna, no matter how low you go, the atmosphere's pretty thin anyway. Don't worry about that.

And as for the fuel situation, well.... hm....

The fuel situation's definitely something which might be an issue. It might be a good idea to make use of the fuel depot in Kerbin's orbit before sending anything interplanetary. In fact, before we send any modules out, I will probably take Spyrit's recommendation and set up a small fuel depot in Duna's orbit. Won't need much, especially if most people are able to aero-capture well enough.

I also wanted to bring up my previous idea for discussion, to have a very basic "mothership" type design which can bring along several modules to Duna. And I'm talking super basic. To save on mass it could just be a series of girders with a few docking ports and an engine cluster. It would have space for, say, 4 modules? It should save on time, but it might complicate the interplanetary travel side of things. Another option would be to launch a few modules in the same window and then return to them when they get to Duna. It'd be necessary to be very careful with the persistence if we do it this way, since a bit of timewarp and saving at a bad time would be bad news. Of course, there's always the option to just launch modules whenever, warp out there, then finish the mission in one sitting.

As for the landing site, I like Cake's suggestion. Anywhere along the equator would be good just to give people something easy to aim for. Once the first module makes it down there, it should be much easier for whoever follows up. Just remember to pack lots of chutes! On that note, if people want to use skycranes, that's totally cool. In fact, a skycrane might be better than tons of parachutes, since those will count as parts. With the skycrane, you can simply detach your module and let the rest of it fly off and explode. I'll likely go through the persistence afterwards and clear out any debris that's within rendering distance of the base.

Edited by Nauthy

It'd be necessary to be very careful with the persistence if we do it this way, since a bit of timewarp and saving at a bad time would be bad news. Of course, there's always the option to just launch modules whenever, warp out there, then finish the mission in one sitting.

As for the landing site, I like Cake's suggestion. Anywhere along the equator would be good just to give people something easy to aim for. Once the first module makes it down there, it should be much easier for whoever follows up. Just remember to pack lots of chutes! On that note, if people want to use skycranes, that's totally cool. In fact, a skycrane might be better than tons of parachutes, since those will count as parts. With the skycrane, you can simply detach your module and let the rest of it fly off and explode. I'll likely go through the persistence afterwards and clear out any debris that's within rendering distance of the base.

All of the options seem good to me.

One thing to note (which might be obvious) Is that i've had a whole lot of incredibly annoying experiences with Ike - whatever we put into Duna orbit needs to be well out of range of Ike's grasp, or in my experience stuff will be flung into solar orbit.

For landing, i've kinda found skycranes to be almost necesary. Duna's equator has altitudes that reach up to the point where the atmosphere is still very thin and parachutes will barely have half-deployed by the time they hit full-deploy range, especially if we are to land in said kilometres-deep valley/chasm. Also, as Nauthy mentioned, a whole lot of chutes would be needed to keep the landing within the common impact tolerance of 6m/s, so i think a skycrane, or at least some detachable parachutes, are almost a must.

Ok, you know what, forget about keeping it a secret. Don't send the fuel, Nauthy. My module is 12 Full-to-the-brim Rockomax Jumbo Orange Fuel Tanks.

My Duna technique is basically using engines for descent and a bit of aero-braking, and once I'm slowed down use parachutes for the final descent. Because the parachutes are connected to my skycrane (which explodes), there is no part count problem. I find this method works best at sea level, which we will be close to.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.