In the spirit of cooperation and competition

Nauthy

Linky winky up. Finally. Phew.

Great video! Looks like you put some hard work into it, it shows :) Keep it up!

Do you think stock multiplayer will be done by the time we're ready for the Mun?

(I do.)

I see what you did there :P Hopefully things will start progressing a little faster now that the holiday craziness is over. I may have to think of a different way of doing the build order next time, so we have less waiting to do between videos.

As for going somewhere other than the Mun next, that's fine by me. The Mun is boring anyways, heh. Once we go interplanetary, though, we need to work out a system of sending several modules out at once. Just to make things simpler.

I see what you did there :P

As for going somewhere other than the Mun next, that's fine by me. The Mun is boring anyways, heh. Once we go interplanetary, though, we need to work out a system of sending several modules out at once. Just to make things simpler.

Ooh i totally missed what he did there earlier xD.

Once we go interplanetary - what seems simplest to me is a procedure like this one. For this example say we're going to Duna:

1. The first person warps time forward untill we're at the start of the Duna launch window. In the meantime, everyone builds (and records, if so wished) their base/station modules and associated launch/transfer stages.

2. Player one then puts his module in Kerbin orbit and immediately slings it towards Duna, recording what footage is desired. Using time reverts, this shouldn't take more than a few hours of in-game time.

3. Player one puts the savefile online, and anyone who happens to have time can then pick up the savefile (and report it in thread), launch their module up and towards Duna and post the updated file here.

4. Following this routine, there should be ample time within the launch window for everyone to launch, since very little long-duration time warp is required. Arrivals at Duna will usually differ by at least a few hours anyway unless Mechjeb is used.

5. Once everyone has launched, one designated person who has alot of time then timewarps untill the modules hit Duna's SOI, adjusting the orbits mid-flight as necesary, and catches the lot inside a high/low Duna orbit, whatever they find more comfortable. This person could then put his module into the final orbit of the station, and produce his video.

6. From then on everyone can add their module as they wish and finish up, and produce their video.

This seems to me to be the easiest way to do things, without warping through multiple Duna launch windows. In short - everyone launches towards planet, one person arranges capture, and then everyone puts their modules into place.

Ooh i totally missed what he did there earlier xD.

Once we go interplanetary - what seems simplest to me is a procedure like this one. For this example say we're going to Duna:

1. The first person warps time forward untill we're at the start of the Duna launch window. In the meantime, everyone builds (and records, if so wished) their base/station modules and associated launch/transfer stages.

2. Player one then puts his module in Kerbin orbit and immediately slings it towards Duna, recording what footage is desired. Using time reverts, this shouldn't take more than a few hours of in-game time.

3. Player one puts the savefile online, and anyone who happens to have time can then pick up the savefile (and report it in thread), launch their module up and towards Duna and post the updated file here.

4. Following this routine, there should be ample time within the launch window for everyone to launch, since very little long-duration time warp is required. Arrivals at Duna will usually differ by at least a few hours anyway unless Mechjeb is used.

5. Once everyone has launched, one designated person who has alot of time then timewarps untill the modules hit Duna's SOI, adjusting the orbits mid-flight as necesary, and catches the lot inside a high/low Duna orbit, whatever they find more comfortable. This person could then put his module into the final orbit of the station, and produce his video.

6. From then on everyone can add their module as they wish and finish up, and produce their video.

This seems to me to be the easiest way to do things, without warping through multiple Duna launch windows. In short - everyone launches towards planet, one person arranges capture, and then everyone puts their modules into place.

It just seems more simple to just time warp each time. Unless multiplayer is up, then we can all do it at the same time, or dock to a transporter, or something.

I like the idea of docking everything to a larger ship. We can even have multiple trips this way, since it'll be way fewer than if we were sending the modules out individually. I can work out a simple "mothership" design for when we get to that point.

TheCanadianVendingMachine is up right now. I PMed him a couple of days ago, he said the module should be ready by the end of the week.

well then looks like I'm up.

as for you canadian try installing the demo version of fraps on the new computer then copy the .exe of fraps on the old computer to the new one, run it. There is a chance fraps will run on the new computer as the full version.

I like the idea of docking everything to a larger ship. We can even have multiple trips this way, since it'll be way fewer than if we were sending the modules out individually. I can work out a simple "mothership" design for when we get to that point.

TheCanadianVendingMachine is up right now. I PMed him a couple of days ago, he said the module should be ready by the end of the week.

Sounds good, but we'll probably need a seperate module to actually boost the thing whereever we're going. Not to mention we'll be needing a lot of delta-V on a single ship in order to do so.

I think I need a faster CPU

http://i.imgur.com/vrIHYNv.png

Phenom II 965 @ 3.8ghz

Thats odd... i have an i7 running at only 2ghz and i don't experience any particular lag around any of the stations, even while recording video. I have 8 cores but since KSP only uses one, i dunno why yours is having trouble.

What surprises me though is that all four of your cores seem to be loaded. If KSP only uses one, surely the other three should be cool?

Thats odd... i have an i7 running at only 2ghz and i don't experience any particular lag around any of the stations, even while recording video. I have 8 cores but since KSP only uses one, i dunno why yours is having trouble.

What surprises me though is that all four of your cores seem to be loaded. If KSP only uses one, surely the other three should be cool?

this is what Happens when I try to do anything while I have WMM rendering a video.

I'm saying I need a faster cpu since this takes ~30 min per video and I have to do it twice. I can't use my pc while it runs.

also you have 4 cores, the other 4 are extra threads that run on the same core as their pair when the other is idle.

this is what Happens when I try to do anything while I have WMM rendering a video.

I'm saying I need a faster cpu since this takes ~30 min per video and I have to do it twice. I can't use my pc while it runs.

also you have 4 cores, the other 4 are extra threads that run on the same core as their pair when the other is idle.

Yeah, rendering is annoying. I use camtasia like dharak, but mine renders the computer inoperable for quite a while too, depending on the actual length of the video i want to render.

And yeah, i checked my task manager and only 4 seem to be doing any actual work. What do you mean 'extra threads' though? I've never known the four working ones to be completely idle - they're always running some background processes.

Camtasia usually loads mine but not that much, I can still use my PC.

And yeah, i checked my task manager and only 4 seem to be doing any actual work. What do you mean 'extra threads' though? I've never known the four working ones to be completely idle - they're always running some background processes.

The CPU cycles while one thread is waiting for a response from something else, ie. ram, HD, usb stuff. in short

Hyperthreading keeps the physical CPU active more.

on a side note, I dissallowed WMM access to core 4, least now I can browse the internet without slowdowns.

Edited by leax256

Hey guys, I'm back! Sorry I haven't posted in a couple of days, haven't been home much again. I'm lurking on my phone whenever I get a chance, though, so I've been keeping up.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, my Canadian friend. You're welcome to contribute to the build later on, if you're still interested. I'm thinking of maybe allowing another module for whoever wants it. I feel like the Minmus bases are too small as they are right now, and with some people dropping out we won't have much set up. At least this way we can still add to the bases, though we'll still need to be careful about the parts count.

I feel like the Minmus bases are too small as they are right now, and with some people dropping out we won't have much set up. At least this way we can still add to the bases, though we'll still need to be careful about the parts count.

Instead of just building another base why don't we build a Giant Interplanetary Mothership That Can Tour the Galaxy and Conquer Worlds.

One person can do the framework, another can do the engines, the third can design the landers, etc, etc. (People choose what they want to build)

This way, there are more modules to add.

In fact, while we're waiting, there's nothing to stop us from starting now. What do you guys think?

-Cake

(P.S. - I call the structural/framework stuff)

Like dharak said, a mother ship is a tough nut to crack, since so much relies on all the different parts working well together. Still, if Cake has a solution, I'd definitely be interested in seeing where we can take this. What were you thinking of doing?

Even if it doesn't work out, we can use ideas from it for an interplanetary transport. Initially I was thinking of doing several trips from Kerbin, not just one with a massive transport, which would cut down on the waiting time and also keep it fairly simple.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.