In the spirit of cooperation and competition

Nauthy

Mmm, that's a nice load, Cake (insert bad joke here). It would probably make sense to have your module be one of the first out there, then. Perhaps we could send along a small probe with it, which can then drop to the surface and act as a beacon.

And that's a good point about the parachutes. I usually place a few on the skycrane's payload, as well, but that's not really necessary. It's just comforting to have an extra layer, in case the skycrane fails partway. Here at the KCBP, though, we must sacrifice safety for awesome, slimmed down modules!

Spyrit's post brings up a good question. What orbit should we think about for the station? Stationary orbit might be interesting, just have it a fair distance away from Ike. Check this out, from the wiki (on Ike): "since Ike and Duna are tidally locked to each other, a spacecraft in stationary orbit around Duna will see Ike in a near stable, non-rotating position, as if it were in a stationary Ike orbit."

I also wanted to run another idea by you guys. Since things are progressing slowly, to say the least, I was thinking about making the whole KCBP a bit less structured. We'll still have the same rules in place, but we can have major and minor projects. The major ones will be things like any station/ground base combo (Minmus, Duna, etc.), which will follow the old format. Minor projects can be individual builds, though! Similar to Goose's Mun outpost, I think it'd be neat to see other small bases and stations. Nothing too big from any one person, just something creative and possibly useful. And the best part is that we don't need a build order or anything. Just grab the latest persistance and have at it! Let everybody know you're working on something, though, so we don't need to worry about combining files. No need to tell us what you're building, if you want to keep it a secret ;)

Mmm, that's a nice load, Cake (insert bad joke here). It would probably make sense to have your module be one of the first out there, then. Perhaps we could send along a small probe with it, which can then drop to the surface and act as a beacon.

And that's a good point about the parachutes. I usually place a few on the skycrane's payload, as well, but that's not really necessary. It's just comforting to have an extra layer, in case the skycrane fails partway. Here at the KCBP, though, we must sacrifice safety for awesome, slimmed down modules!

Spyrit's post brings up a good question. What orbit should we think about for the station? Stationary orbit might be interesting, just have it a fair distance away from Ike. Check this out, from the wiki (on Ike): "since Ike and Duna are tidally locked to each other, a spacecraft in stationary orbit around Duna will see Ike in a near stable, non-rotating position, as if it were in a stationary Ike orbit."

I also wanted to run another idea by you guys. Since things are progressing slowly, to say the least, I was thinking about making the whole KCBP a bit less structured. We'll still have the same rules in place, but we can have major and minor projects. The major ones will be things like any station/ground base combo (Minmus, Duna, etc.), which will follow the old format. Minor projects can be individual builds, though! Similar to Goose's Mun outpost, I think it'd be neat to see other small bases and stations. Nothing too big from any one person, just something creative and possibly useful. And the best part is that we don't need a build order or anything. Just grab the latest persistance and have at it! Let everybody know you're working on something, though, so we don't need to worry about combining files. No need to tell us what you're building, if you want to keep it a secret ;)

I agree with everything but two. First, It's become traditional for Nauthy to do the first module of any new project, so he should be the one to start off the base, not me. Secondly, because of floating point values, a Duna orbit at Ike's height will invariably eventually hit Ike, and considering all the time warping we'll be doing, the station should be well out of Ike's way. Also, considering Duna's gravity (We aren't in Kansas- er, Minmus anymore!), we should have the station as close to Duna as possible to save delta-v.

P.S. I think it's funny that the KSP forums think that words like Duna and kerbal should be spell-checked in the editor.

P.S.S. After Duna, once asteroids are debugged and all (and actually do stuff), we're gonna make an asteroid base, right?

Edited by CakeNinjaProductions

Note that the asteroid pack is indeed a mission packed, labeled 23.5. Its not a full update, and im not actually even sure wether it'll come standard with the launcher. If its an optional thing, adding the asteroid base would mean we need to make sure everyone has (and can handle - the bigger solar system mod took alot of system resources, and it wouldn't surprise me if asteroids bring extra strain too) the expansion.

Yes to asteroid fun times, of course! I haven't really been keeping up with the asteroid update, though, so hopefully it won't be too difficult to set up a base on one. Maybe we can do a few of 'em? It'd be fun to set up some competitions between different asteroid bases. And I'm sure a war will break out at some point, as well :)

I don't mind setting up the first module, we can have Cake go up second then. I'll probably build the station core and the beacon probe for the ground base. And good point about the issues with my proposed orbit. Silly Ike, getting in the way (at least it's not like the mess around Jool). It'd definitely make a ton more sense to have it in a low Duna orbit, 50km or so?

I also spoke to Goose a couple of days ago. He's been busy with real world stuff, but he's still working on his modules. If anyone wants to grab the save and do anything in the meantime, go ahead! I'll bug Goose again when he comes online (we chat on Steam).

And as of next week, I'll have all my internet issues finally sorted! I've mentioned it before, but I'd like to start streaming some KSP (among other things). Has anyone here had any experience with the multiplayer mod? It might be fun to do builds and missions for the KCBP together.

-snip

- here had any experience with the multiplayer mod? It might be fun to do builds and missions for the KCBP together.

I've had experience with the KMP mod..... it seems that the biggest pain is setting up the server, as windows firewall blocks it and there doesn't seem to be a way around it....

Otherwise, you need to know who's hosting, what mods, server url etc. and what version of client(s) they support, because if they don't support the latest, it doesn't seem to work.... And the latest release of the client doesn't install properly or at least when I tried it.... so good luck starting from scratch..... (unless unknown update). maybe you might find a no mod server, but since people figured out how to use mods, people used mods... oh yes, and the ones I do know of are abandoned with unplayable amounts of debris..... ontop of that connections are buggy, so you typically get accidentaly disconnected ~10 minutes.... and have to rejoin again.

in short, its what you would expect from an alpha mod which goes against the hard wired in-game code... but when you can get it to work, its fun

Yes to asteroid fun times, of course! I haven't really been keeping up with the asteroid update, though, so hopefully it won't be too difficult to set up a base on one. Maybe we can do a few of 'em? It'd be fun to set up some competitions between different asteroid bases. And I'm sure a war will break out at some point, as well :)

I don't mind setting up the first module, we can have Cake go up second then. I'll probably build the station core and the beacon probe for the ground base. And good point about the issues with my proposed orbit. Silly Ike, getting in the way (at least it's not like the mess around Jool). It'd definitely make a ton more sense to have it in a low Duna orbit, 50km or so?

The asteroids are actually smaller than many of us expected. >18m is considered a class-E, or largest class, asteroid. This also means none of them have gravity, and it'll be more akin to a 'station that is holding an asteroid' than 'station built on an asteroid'. You have to clamp it with a hook to prevent it from flying away.

We could go for a station around an asteroid, and design it so we can bring in other asteroids.

Or, as you said, we could have multiple and get competitive :P. But i warn you, asteroids are surprisingly flingable.

For Duna orbit, 50k sounds nice, except that we can't get into much lower orbits without intersecting the atmosphere.

I'll have to mess around with the MP mod when my new connection gets hooked up. I'd be fine with hosting it if at all possible. We'd probably have to start a fresh save for it, though. Still, it definitely sounds like fun if we can get it working.

It might be better to keep the Duna station in a higher orbit while we're building it, so we have that extra room for aerocapture. We can always change up its orbit if one of the modules has some sort of propulsion. Or even with some RCS. Maybe 100km while it's being built. A small fuel depot in a lower orbit might be useful, just in case.

I like hearing about asteroids being flingable :D We could definitely set up one central base, for "science", and then use others for some fun. I'm imagining asteroids as beach balls, heh.

Also, that's no good about incompatible saves, though it's something we should always expect. We might be able to do some magic with editing the persistence file, but otherwise we might need to have two separate files. Or start the project fresh, but that's got its own set of problems...

By the way, in that image, are all those new parts for the update? 'Cause daaamn, I need to check out more about that.

I'll have to mess around with the MP mod when my new connection gets hooked up. I'd be fine with hosting it if at all possible. We'd probably have to start a fresh save for it, though. Still, it definitely sounds like fun if we can get it working.

It might be better to keep the Duna station in a higher orbit while we're building it, so we have that extra room for aerocapture. We can always change up its orbit if one of the modules has some sort of propulsion. Or even with some RCS. Maybe 100km while it's being built. A small fuel depot in a lower orbit might be useful, just in case.

I like hearing about asteroids being flingable :D We could definitely set up one central base, for "science", and then use others for some fun. I'm imagining asteroids as beach balls, heh.

Also, that's no good about incompatible saves, though it's something we should always expect. We might be able to do some magic with editing the persistence file, but otherwise we might need to have two separate files. Or start the project fresh, but that's got its own set of problems...

By the way, in that image, are all those new parts for the update? 'Cause daaamn, I need to check out more about that.

MP sounds like fun, although its still buggy and i would back up the save file regularly. As im saying below, we can probably edit the persistence it uses as to put the current stations where they currently are already. Im hoping.

They act like any ol' part floating around in space really. Except really huge, and usually more or less circular or ovoid. But as long as you have a grappling hook, you can alter their trajectory however you want i believe.

And, yeah, incompatible save files doesn't necesarily mean we have to lose the entire thing. Possibly quite a bit of the persistence will be copyable. From my pov, launching the modules was the easy part and making the video kinda entertaining was the hard part. We've got a few members who are off doing other things though, so rebuilding the stations from scratch isn't much of an option.

They might have a converter though. They had that last time :-).

I believe DSI has nothing to do with KSP though. As awesome as the image is, the Kerbal version of the grappling hook looks a bit more like a hook :P. 23.5 doesn't have too many new parts - just a few very significant ones.

Short rundown is: 3m diameter tanks in full, half and quarter tank edition - fitting engines with 2000Kn or 2500Kn of thrust - fitting decoupler and 2-3m adapter - a grappling hook for grappling asteroids - an actual stock Launch Escape System. Also Ion engines now four times as powerful :-).

Oh, yeah, that picture was just for inspiration. Just to show how cool asteroids can be. DSI has nothing to do with KSP. Although...

I'm going to see what I can do about replicas when 0.24 comes out.

Also, isn't stock mp supposed to come out soon?

One more person I want to add to the recruitment list: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtP8KDpgZoeoPYGQhirvd7w

His name is Monev, and he likes spaceplanes.

He will probably send his module to Duna with a spaceplane, and the module itself will be a smaller spaceplane.

The spaceplane will have spaceplanes on it.

Spaceplane. Spaceplane spaceplane spaceplane.

One more thing, about 0.23.5, it just got released on Steam and save files appear to be compatible.

Excuse me while I go asteroid.

Yeah, Goose is taking a while...

maybe Nauthy could overlap him with the beginning of the base?

Also, this new update is perfect for the Duna project because the new Maneuver Node system makes it easier to time interplanetary burns.

I think this also means its safe to assume everyone will be getting the pack?

My internet's been on and off lately, so I haven't even had a chance to contact Goose again. I had my connection upgraded yesterday, though (yay, good speeds!), so I'll get back to being more active in the project.

And yeah, we might as well get working on the new things. I've got my module in the works right now, but I'll have to remake it for the new update. It will probably be ready within a few days, sooner if I don't get stuck working late this weekend. And speaking of spaceplanes, that gives me a fine idea for the probe I was gonna send down to the surface. A simple lander is just boring!

I'll also try out the MP mod to see if I can get a server running, I'll let ya guys know.

one thing we should be able to do is electric planes, the ion engine got 4x the power, meaning we could probly do duna ssto s.

But currently I'm worried because I don't really have any imagination for what to do....

edit: I'l try kmp again if you get a server running :D

Edited by Nemrav

My internet's been on and off lately, so I haven't even had a chance to contact Goose again. I had my connection upgraded yesterday, though (yay, good speeds!), so I'll get back to being more active in the project.

And yeah, we might as well get working on the new things. I've got my module in the works right now, but I'll have to remake it for the new update. It will probably be ready within a few days, sooner if I don't get stuck working late this weekend. And speaking of spaceplanes, that gives me a fine idea for the probe I was gonna send down to the surface. A simple lander is just boring!

I'll also try out the MP mod to see if I can get a server running, I'll let ya guys know.

Bit confused now though. Just what are we going to work on now? The Duna bases?

Awesome :D , really makes my want to start for duna.

edit : I'm going to make a flag for our duna base.... to go along-side maybe a ring of flags (1 for each youtuber ?) like the way the UN does their headquarters :) if we do this be sure to put your flag in with the save when we return it to Nauthy so we can all enjoy it.

Should edit the first post for the new attempt. (no completely but get ready and put cakeninja's trailer on it)

Edited by Nemrav

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.