[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

Mihara came up with a good idea- for every part that can be TweakScaled, make it include an invisible, massless and non-transferable resource. The bigger you tweakscale the part, the more of said resource you have which means the more it'll cost you. The snag comes with making said resource completely invisible - not in the resource panel, right-click GUI, nothing - to the average player, it has to be invisible. If you solve that problem, you solve a big problem with all kinds of parts than can be resized in the editor.

I've been trying to track down some crashes that happen, or don't happen, depending on combinations of various mods. I created a brand new KSP Winx64 install, added only the IR mod and nothing else. Started the game, set some sound+graphics options, started a new sandbox game, into the VAB, moved the toolbar icon and set it up for IR, selected the basic command pod added a hinge and instant crash.

The log file: http://www.i2net.me.uk/files/Games/KerbalSP/ErrorLogs/CleanKSP-FreshIR-asonlymod-output_log.zip

I have been playing all day with a selection of mods it's just a certain few that were causing troubles - and even then perhaps only if certain other mods were installed. Curiously, all the mods that have caused problems have used toolbar - I have posts in that thread - yet I've played with chatterer installed without problem so it's not quite as simple.

Anyway, we may be heading into the dread x64 stability region but as this is the most minimalist/simple crash config I've found so far I thought I'd pass it on to the experts.

I've been trying to track down some crashes that happen, or don't happen, depending on combinations of various mods. I created a brand new KSP Winx64 install, added only the IR mod and nothing else. Started the game, set some sound+graphics options, started a new sandbox game, into the VAB, moved the toolbar icon and set it up for IR, selected the basic command pod added a hinge and instant crash.

The log file: http://www.i2net.me.uk/files/Games/KerbalSP/ErrorLogs/CleanKSP-FreshIR-asonlymod-output_log.zip

I have been playing all day with a selection of mods it's just a certain few that were causing troubles - and even then perhaps only if certain other mods were installed. Curiously, all the mods that have caused problems have used toolbar - I have posts in that thread - yet I've played with chatterer installed without problem so it's not quite as simple.

Anyway, we may be heading into the dread x64 stability region but as this is the most minimalist/simple crash config I've found so far I thought I'd pass it on to the experts.

And now the problem is gone!

What did I do?

I tried setting the cpu affinity of KSP to 1 core, still crashed but this time I could attach the part, the crash happened when I deleted the part. I closed FireFox (7 windows many tabs including flash) and suddenly IR works, restarted FF and still working... Humm... Some problem at the system level?

<shrug> back to my main install.

It doesn't crash for me so don't be quick to blame the mod. KSP 64bit implementation isn't stable in my opinion.

Output_log files please otherwise don't bother telling me it's crashing. It's useless to me to say so otherwise.

It doesn't crash for me so don't be quick to blame the mod. KSP 64bit implementation isn't stable in my opinion.

Output_log files please otherwise don't bother telling me it's crashing. It's useless to me to say so otherwise.

Not sure what ya mean here....64bit KSP on windows seems perty stable to me (though I have not tried adding IR yet, testing some other mods ive never used before).

Have ya noticed any issues yet in 64bit build? Im still just in testing phase....but really missing robotics already lol....speaks volumes about how good IR is =P

edit: the worst i have encountered so far with 64bit KSP is some graphical tearing, mostly with parachute decent (think its something to do with alpha channel used in chute cords...not sure).

Edited by KhaosCorp

Well buggy due to locking the mouse button(alt-left mouse button if I remember correctly) when outside the game. Try using chrome with a lot of tabs open, run the game them go to chrome and try to switch tabs, it won't let you. You have to right click in order for left click I work. This happens in notepad++ for example.

Edited by sirkut

I'm open to suggestions. The problem right now is to handle costs for tweaked sizes. I need to look into that.

In terms of cost balancing i crunched a few numbers. Based on the in game costs of shuttle SRBs and the 2.5m command pod, i compared these to their real life counterparts and then compared these to the cost of the robotic arm on the space shuttle. Any way, it turns out that an in-game canadarm should cost about 1800 funds. Now if it takes about 6 parts to make a very basic working robotic arm, each of the IR parts should be about 300 funds.

In terms of cost balancing i crunched a few numbers. Based on the in game costs of shuttle SRBs and the 2.5m command pod, i compared these to their real life counterparts and then compared these to the cost of the robotic arm on the space shuttle. Any way, it turns out that an in-game canadarm should cost about 1800 funds. Now if it takes about 6 parts to make a very basic working robotic arm, each of the IR parts should be about 300 funds.

Sounds good to me, the only issue now is the sizes but procedural cost for parts isn't impelemented in the game yet so I will just use what you suggest for all parts no matter the size.

Craft file please. what does it do at 1x speed?

Forum crashed while I was posting this yesterday. I'm seeing the same issue as jfjohnny5. He never said, but I'm on a Mac with 0.24 (32-bit). Tested in an otherwise stock install.

Here's a similar craft – same issue with legacy pistons and gantries at 1x speed. I'm including some Rework extendatrons because they work flawlessly. That made me double check and the cfgs for the pistons are identical to 0.16.5b, so I can only think it's a code difference that affects legacy parts, but not rework parts.

Here's my player.log. No errors while loading the game. The only thing of interest I see is repeated "setupJoints – !gotOrig" while loading the craft.

Have to very strongly agree with this after finding "bugs" in many mods which are actually caused by KSP failing rather than the mod. I think a good rule of thumb is if you install a mod and it crashes in 64 bit, restart is 32 bit. If it doesn't crash it likely isn't the mod.

I've narrowed down the problems I'm seeing to the copy of TweakScale that's included with IR. In 0.24, the gantry, piston, and extendatron models are resized, but extension and mass are unchanged. I've updated the craft file in my last post to show how it also breaks rework parts. Sorry, sirkut, I'd forgotten that your gantries and pistons are rescaled even in their base sizes, which explains why the full size extendatrons work as expected.

I don't have the 0.24 version of TweakScale installed, so there's no interference with that.

Well buggy due to locking the mouse button(alt-left mouse button if I remember correctly) when outside the game. Try using chrome with a lot of tabs open, run the game them go to chrome and try to switch tabs, it won't let you. You have to right click in order for left click I work. This happens in notepad++ for example.

Yeah, I was really confused when this started happening to me, right up until I got here and saw your mention of it. At least you're aware of it, I suppose! :D

Crashing to the desktop is generally not related to a mod. You are using x64 and it's bound to act weird. Try 32 bit and let me know how it works for you.

Looking at the error log says a lot about Contracts.ContractSystem and other contracts related messages.

Edited by sirkut

Just wanted to confirm that the animations apparently aren't being scaled. I mounted a telescoping piston on a probe, sized down to 1/2, and the piston arm extended out approx. twice it's length. Not a huge deal, I was able to fix it by simply setting appropriate limits.

Just wanted to confirm that the animations apparently aren't being scaled. I mounted a telescoping piston on a probe, sized down to 1/2, and the piston arm extended out approx. twice it's length. Not a huge deal, I was able to fix it by simply setting appropriate limits.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have a look at it later tonight and see about fixing it. Happy that you said what you did to remedy in the meantime.