[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

I was working on that earlier. This MM config will make a copy of every IR part and make it free moving:

-code cut and pasted in message-

I couldn't figure out a way around the limitation sirkut decribed, though. Is that handled by the plugin?

Also, it makes copies of the parts the are already free moving. The documentation for :HAS is rather sparse and I couldn't quite nail down how to make a :HAS limitation for a property that doesn't exist.

Okay, I am by no means an expert in this, and I have a number of MM-related websites on my quick-links bar, but here's an attempt to possibly limit the copying of the parts:

$PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[MuMechToggle]:HAS[~freeMoving[True]]]:FINAL
{
@name ^= :$:_uncontrolled:
@title ^= :$: (uncontrolled):
@MODULE[MuMechToggle]
{
@freeMoving = True
@servoName = <Uncontrolled>
@jointSpring = 0.0000001
!keyRotateSpeed = dummy
!rotateKey = dummy
!revRotateKey = dummy
!motorSndPath = dummy
}
}

So, what I added was the ":HAS[~freeMoving[True]]" part in there which, in theory, will only match if the parameter "freeMoving" is not equal to "True" and will apply the copy the way you need it to. Documentation on the "~" operator is a little sketchy however, and it might actually be checking to see if the parameter "freeMoving" doesn't exist, instead of just checking for the value of "True" but I have yet to actually need this kind of check personally. Also, technically you shouldn't need to add "= dummy" to the end of the deleted parts, but I do not believe it will hurt it either way. If this method does not work correctly, you could replace the "~freeMoving[TRUE]" with "#freeMoving[False]" however this would only work properly if all parts that are not free moving actually had the parameter present to say that they are not, instead of assuming that parameter's value is just false by default. You'll have to experiment a bit here and there to see what works.

So I've read several times that moving parts in the VAB is not on the to-do list. For the things I've wanted to do, a "procedural wedge" part would do the trick. Just imagine a hinge that's stuck at whatever angle you set it to in the VAB, and doesn't move after that. Or maybe just a non-procedural set of "shims" with useful angles like 45, 30, 15, and 5 degrees. If that's something KSP can theoretically handle (stack nodes that are angled) then I might even try that myself, since it's just a few dumb parts.

So I've read several times that moving parts in the VAB is not on the to-do list. For the things I've wanted to do, a "procedural wedge" part would do the trick. Just imagine a hinge that's stuck at whatever angle you set it to in the VAB, and doesn't move after that. Or maybe just a non-procedural set of "shims" with useful angles like 45, 30, 15, and 5 degrees. If that's something KSP can theoretically handle (stack nodes that are angled) then I might even try that myself, since it's just a few dumb parts.

I'm working on an extension of Infernal Robotics that _might_ solve the riddle I have with parts moving in the VAB/SPH. It wasn't the goal but I now think I know how to tackle it. :)

I'm working on an extension of Infernal Robotics that _might_ solve the riddle I have with parts moving in the VAB/SPH. It wasn't the goal but I now think I know how to tackle it. :)

Oh, now that's exciting! Making origami rovers and Kethane refineries that pop out of small(ish) procedural fairing pods would be so much less fiddly.

This is always been one of my favorite mods, but it seems I ran into a bug or basically a plan breaking issue.

Designed a Container Crane like vessel in order to move and attach parts for a munar base. Of course before launching anything into space, I wanted to make sure my design actually works.

The issue occurs after I attached any part using the Container Crane. The robotic parts either stop working or get a displaced ( screenshot ). Now this isn't the first time I build something that had multiple robotic parts, but it is the first time that it bugs on me like it does.

332v6kl.png

Also the .craft if anyone wants to do some testing.

Container Crane

Sidenote: The Container Crane is completely stock, apart from the robotic parts and tweakscale being used ( obviously )

Edited by JayCheetah

Best you could is using KAS instead.

Unfortunally using KAS has been a world of BOOM everytime I used it.

I've read the OP more thoroughly again and indeed my problem is mentioned.

Working on a new design already.

slight issue when using control movement limits. If I have a key to toggle the part to move (in this case a rotatron), when the part hits its movement limit it stops moving but the sound keeps playing until I toggle the key again.

slight issue when using control movement limits. If I have a key to toggle the part to move (in this case a rotatron), when the part hits its movement limit it stops moving but the sound keeps playing until I toggle the key again.

You're going to strip the gears!

I've been interpreting that as the IR parts not having safety limits like the way they can pull your ship apart if you strut it to its own IR parts. A grinding noise followed by a puff of smoke would be nice. :D

[ERR 16:07:17.154] AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'InfernalRobotics': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Additional information about this exception:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Scale_Redist, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.

File name: 'Scale_Redist, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'

dtoxic,

You should have two copies of Scale_Redist.dll: one in KSP/GameData/MagicSmokeIndustries/Plugins/ and one in KSP/GameData/TweakScale/Plugins/. Do you have both of them in the correct places?

thx man i did not have 2 dll's just one now its all good thx again :)

Make sure you're using the latest versions of both IR and TS. That sounds like you're not, unless you'd deleted one of them before.

yeah i removed one Scale_Redist.dll thinking i don't need two and i was wrong :D thx again it was driving me crazy

I apologize if this has been brought up in any of the previous 4320 posts, but the "click-through" behavior of the IR GUI is just killing me. I can't count how many times I've grabbed a bunch of parts accidentally as I interact with the IR group manager window. I think it would be a huge improvement if clicking on the IR window didn't also act like a click on whatever's underneath it.

This thread appears to have a solution.

This is my favorite mod right now! I'm having so much fun with it. I hope this bug can be fixed as easily as that thread seems to indicate.

Can someone explain how to get the Gantries and telescopic pistons working properly... they just seem to act all weird when i tryt o use them..

For gantries they twist and turn, and the pistons i cant sem to get them to work with the Hydraulic Cylinder, there seem to leave a sort of air gap between them....

Can someone explain how to get the Gantries and telescopic pistons working properly... they just seem to act all weird when i tryt o use them..

For gantries they twist and turn, and the pistons i cant sem to get them to work with the Hydraulic Cylinder, there seem to leave a sort of air gap between them....

Your pistons are probably attached backward; the intent is that the bulk of the piston is clipped inside whatever you're mounting it to, and just the head is peeking out.

The gantries function a little differently that you might expect, due to a limitation of moving parts in KSP. You can only attach one stationary object to the gantry. Everything else, no matter where you attach it, is going to move when the gantry moves.

I apologize if this has been brought up in any of the previous 4320 posts, but the "click-through" behavior of the IR GUI is just killing me. I can't count how many times I've grabbed a bunch of parts accidentally as I interact with the IR group manager window. I think it would be a huge improvement if clicking on the IR window didn't also act like a click on whatever's underneath it.

This thread appears to have a solution.

This is my favorite mod right now! I'm having so much fun with it. I hope this bug can be fixed as easily as that thread seems to indicate.

I have a few improvements coming up soon. I'll add that to my list.

TriggerAu has a pull request for Drag & Drop sorting of the servos in the group editor & input locking that will prevent clicking parts THROUGH the window.

BloodyRain2k has a pull request for a stock toolbar implementation for those that must refuse to use toolbar plugin.

So what have I been doing? Here is this sneak preview (NOTE: I'm testing limits (hardcoded within the CFG) that's why it stops in one direction and ignore the debugging coordinates.

Edited by sirkut

TriggerAu has a pull request for Drag & Drop sorting of the servos in the group editor & input locking that will prevent clicking parts TRHOUGH the window.

BloodyRain2k has a pull request for a stock toolbar implementation for those that must refuse to use toolbar plugin.

So what have I been doing? Here is this sneak preview (NOTE: I'm testing limits (hardcoded within the CFG) that's why it stops in one direction and ignore the debugging coordinates.

http://youtu.be/tF0SgGLIzH0

I want it, i really want it!

Wow!!! You've finally figured it out! This feature will work great to reducing the Rework part count, and make all those folded contraptions a whole lot easier to create.

Questions (because it's what I do :P ):

- Do the arrow keys account for the movement speed of the parts in the cfg?

- Will it be possible to move parts together as a group? I'm thinking mainly for the telescopic pistons, so they all move the same amount.

- Any plans to add a text field to set the exact distance/angle, or set a percentage between the tweaked limits?

- Will uncontrolled parts be configurable in this?