[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

At 2:20 in this vid, a simple craft I built with latest KSP (0.24.2) and Infernal Robotics (0-18-4) exhibits unbounded oscillations when placed on the pad. (Everything earlier in the vid is me building it.) This bug seems to occur when high symmetry (8-fold or 6-fold) is employed with hinges, rotators, etc. The final girders I added seem to make it happen more reliably. I first tried IR with KSP 0.23.5 (asteroids...) and it was present then.

http://youtu.be/XtLbgreQuZw

Try using activestruts in my OP to see of you can dampen the oscillations. There is nothing I can do to fix that except seeing about disabling ohysics briefly but I don't think that work.

Need Help! GUI wont show up in the launc pad. Works Fine in the WAB. im running 64bit with newest toolbar and also tried re installing the mod.

Also is this a known bug when u load a vechile with lots of IR parts, that sometimes the parts are off angle and miss placed.

Like my duna buggy that had maybe 15 IR parts in the chassis. it made the buggy undriveable. am i supposed to reset the servos back to default position before quittin?

I drove the buggy maybe in 4 diffrent sessions no problem. then after that everytime i reloaded the vechile the parts were gettin more and more off set with every re load.

this was back in 23.5. also happened with another vechile..

Can you double-check that you've added the toolbar button to the in-flight toolbar? You need to add it both in the VAB/SPH and in flight. If that doesn't work, please try reproducing the problem with just IR and toolbar installed and then post your output_log.txt (Win) or Player.log (Mac, Linux).

Someone else had similar issues with parts being in different positions after reloading a save. Resetting their positions before saving and locking the parts helped. You can lock all the parts at once if you set up an action group. Similarly, you can return all parts to their original position with an action group for Move 0 for all parts.

Is it possible to toggle a rotation? Like if i press action Key it doesnt stop rotate until i stop the rotation by another action key. Possbile? Planned?

Edited by mJrA

Is it possible to toggle a rotation? Like if i press action Key it doesnt stop rotate until i stop the rotation by another action key. Possbile? Planned?

Have you even tried to use an action group? That's exactly how it functions. Press once, it moves endlessly until you press again, it stops.

At 2:20 in this vid, a simple craft I built with latest KSP (0.24.2) and Infernal Robotics (0-18-4) exhibits unbounded oscillations when placed on the pad. (Everything earlier in the vid is me building it.) This bug seems to occur when high symmetry (8-fold or 6-fold) is employed with hinges, rotators, etc. The final girders I added seem to make it happen more reliably. I first tried IR with KSP 0.23.5 (asteroids...) and it was present then.

http://youtu.be/XtLbgreQuZw

That's an interesting rapid disassembly you have there.

Did that happen while you were recording, or did you record to show it? I've seen something similar once, and attributed it to heavy background task load. Ordinarily, I don't stress my system too much, but on that occasion there was lots going on, so I suspect that your capture software may not have helped.

Something to check for if it happens with only KSP and required tasks, is the physics tick slider.

Found under Settings => General => System => Max Physics Delta-Time per Frame

Have you manually adjusted it? I'm not certain, but I beleive it gets automatically set according to your machine spec, so setting the tick duration lower could feasibly cause undamped oscillation. IR probably adds extra stress the physics engine, and any other machine load will exaggerate it further. Try decreasing the number of ticks - increasing the duration - to see if that helps.

there is a bug using Extraplanetary lauchpads that IR control dont show any way i try it (on tollbar or in) if uour lauchpad has no IR parts

Does that happen when you are trying to launch a vessel with IR parts? Does the problem happen with just EL and IR installed?

There is important information to include in any bug report:

• Your KSP version
  • Your mod versions
  • Your Operating System and version
  • Cause the problem, then quit KSP and find your output log:
    • Windows (32 bit): KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt
    • Windows (64 bit): KSP_win64\KSP_x64_DATA\output_log.txt
    • Mac OS X: Open Console, find Unity on the left side, click on Player.log. It's also located at ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log.
    • Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log

Not sure if anyone else has reported this, but here's what happened:

1. Went into IR's tweakscale configs, decided I wanted larger IR rework robotic parts.

2. Added new values higher than current max (e.g. added a new 1.5 scale whereas highest was usually 1.0 for most of the IR Parts).

3. Attempted to scale up IR Parts.

4. They appear to scale up, but I get debug log spam and VAB/SPH lag. Does not happen when scaling down or when scaling *back* to original size, only seems to happen when going above whatever was in the bundled tweakscale config.

Here's an output log: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59567837/KSP-IRTweakScaleStuff.log

Please let me know if that's not the right log file. It didn't make anything crash, no output_log in a crash folder...

Latest versions of MSI/TweakScale (I think!), but tons of mods installed...

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

The KSP.log is less helpful than the output_log.txt (KSP\KSP_Data\output_log.txt) in most cases, but I think I've got it this time.

I think you did this: added "1.5" to the scaleFactors lines in Rework_TweakScale.cfg and a new name to the scaleNames line.

If that's right, you just need to add 1.5x mass items in InfernalRoboticsRework_0_24_Fix.cfg:

@PART[IR_Pivotron*]
{
@MODULE[TweakScale]
{
TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS
{
mass = 0.025, 0.05, 0.1[COLOR=#b22222][B], 0.15[/B][/COLOR]
}
}
}

You might want to wait on that. As soon as ZodiusInfuser has a chance to finish the Foldatrons, I'll release an updated patch that makes those changes much easier.

The KSP.log is less helpful than the output_log.txt (KSP\KSP_Data\output_log.txt) in most cases, but I think I've got it this time.

I think you did this: added "1.5" to the scaleFactors lines in Rework_TweakScale.cfg and a new name to the scaleNames line.

If that's right, you just need to add 1.5x mass items in InfernalRoboticsRework_0_24_Fix.cfg:

@PART[IR_Pivotron*]
{
@MODULE[TweakScale]
{
TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS
{
mass = 0.025, 0.05, 0.1[COLOR=#b22222][B], 0.15[/B][/COLOR]
}
}
}

You might want to wait on that. As soon as ZodiusInfuser has a chance to finish the Foldatrons, I'll release an updated patch that makes those changes much easier.

Aha, cool, that does seem to fit the 3 masses, not 4 deal. If that update is coming soon, then yeah, I think I'll just wait. Thanks for the help!

Wondering if anyone can lend me some ideas.

I wanted to modify a part to fully rotate on all three axis (like a ball and socket joint) or at least make a hinge free moving (which can then be stacked into a 3 way axis on a free washer)

Looking in the part files i messed around with the "rotateAxis" and such and the "freeMoving" parameters but cannot for the life of me get it to work the way I want.

Any ideas / suggestions?

Also is this a known bug when u load a vechile with lots of IR parts, that sometimes the parts are off angle and miss placed.

Like my duna buggy that had maybe 15 IR parts in the chassis. it made the buggy undriveable. am i supposed to reset the servos back to default position before quittin?

I drove the buggy maybe in 4 diffrent sessions no problem. then after that everytime i reloaded the vechile the parts were gettin more and more off set with every re load.

this was back in 23.5. also happened with another vechile..

I'm seeing this too, also happened to me with 0.23 & 0.23.5. Stopped using this mod for that reason.

Thought I'd give it a go with new 0.24.2 game, still the same. I _hate_ using hyperedit to replace bugged craft, does anyone know what's going on here?

This always seems to hit while I'm flying some other vessel - I switch back to my rover only to find e.g. wheels several meters from the chassis yet still somehow attatched.

I just did a couple of quickload / save cycles with robotics parts in various positions, ditto vessel switch. I can't seem to reproduce it, so I can't provide a relevant log at this point.

I did see

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at Part.force_activate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Part+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Just after loading a bugged craft (the only error in log file) but I don't know if it's even related as I can't pin down exactly _when_ this happens - by the time I realise, it's too late.

Any help narrowing this down would be much appreciated.

If I knew how to reproduce it I would help but I haven't been able to. Try quick saving before switching crafts to see if that helps. I'm still in the dark as to why this is happening.

Bugger. I just knew you were going to say that. Anything I can grep for in the logs while waiting for it to happen again? i.e. debug prefix specific to IR?

I am having an inversion bug with the hinge which leave my spacecraft stuck in orbit. It the normal size hinge not rotated.

Here is a link to screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/OYJJj

Is there a known fix for this problem?

I am running KSP x64 with a couple of other mods.

Try this. Quicksave before undocking. Then undock, quicksave again THEN reload the quicksave and see if that work.s

Try this. Quicksave before undocking. Then undock, quicksave again THEN reload the quicksave and see if that work.s

I just tried it without success including about half an hour of just messing around with quick save/load trying to get it to work properly so I could land. Now though I don't mind losing the spacecraft and sending a rescue team, but is there an alternative to the hinge I'm using which could basically perform the same job of lifting the payload 90 degrees upward and putting it back down?

Edit: I think I should mention that it has happened using the same part on other launches but the issue seemed to resolve itself out of nowhere. (No luck this time)

Edited by Scimson
Additionnal Info