[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

That's an interesting rapid disassembly you have there.

Did that happen while you were recording, or did you record to show it? I've seen something similar once, and attributed it to heavy background task load. Ordinarily, I don't stress my system too much, but on that occasion there was lots going on, so I suspect that your capture software may not have helped.

Something to check for if it happens with only KSP and required tasks, is the physics tick slider.

Found under Settings => General => System => Max Physics Delta-Time per Frame

Have you manually adjusted it? I'm not certain, but I beleive it gets automatically set according to your machine spec, so setting the tick duration lower could feasibly cause undamped oscillation. IR probably adds extra stress the physics engine, and any other machine load will exaggerate it further. Try decreasing the number of ticks - increasing the duration - to see if that helps.

I had hit this bug long ago, soon after 0.23.5 came out, and it was sort of a brick wall versus something I wanted to build. I've been hoping somebody else would notice&complain and that it would get fixed.

The recording was deliberate to show this bug. One detail I forgot to mention was that I use a MacBook Air running OSX 10.9.4.

Another reply suggested that this might be chalked up to part-clipping. I don't think so. I can build it with I-beams instead of girders - I think their skinnier size avoids clipping, assuming I understand when part clipping does/doesn't occur - and can still obtain these spontaneous oscillations immediately after the physics "turns on".

My "Max Physics Delta-Time per Frame" is 0.04 secs. I have no clue if that value is stock/high/low. I'll try twiddling it. Thanks!

That's an interesting rapid disassembly you have there.

Something to check for if it happens with only KSP and required tasks, is the physics tick slider.

Found under Settings => General => System => Max Physics Delta-Time per Frame

(Followup to my prev reply) I just now tried settings from 0.03 up to 1.2. I see oscillations across the range. The oscillations at 0.3 look nicer, not so spasmodic... :-)

Also, by "MacBook Air", I meant a 3-year-old one. Might not have the most snappy graphics.

Please don´t kill me if somebody already wrote about that problem :S

I somehow cannot use IR ingame when I have Remote Tech installed. Before I installed it, I could open up the window when I am flying a vessel. After I installed it, I couldn´t open it up anymore :(

I still can open the group editor but not the actual window to more IR parts. It has nothing to do with the signal delay from Remote Tech, I removed it and the bug is still there.

Did anybody notice the bug already or can somebody help me with it? I really want to keep Remote Tech though :(

Mirakuli

Mirakuli,

I'm not completely sure I understand your description. Is this what happened?

1. You installed IR and it worked.
  2. You installed RemoteTech and IR stopped working.
  3. You removed RemoteTech, but IR still doesn't work.

Is this the problem? The IR window appears in the VAB/SPH, but not in flight.

Please check that you have the latest versions of IR (0.18.4) and Toolbar (1.7.6).

Have you added the IR button to the Toolbar while in flight? You have to add it twice (VAB/SPH and in flight).

1. I installed IR and it worked

2. I installed Remote Tech, and IR stopped working

3. I thought it might be the signal delay of Remote Tech and removed that, IR still does not work.

The Icon is in the toolbar. The toolbar and IR are on the newest versions.

Since removing RemoteTech didn't fix the problem, something else is broken. Can you try reinstalling IR?

If that doesn't work, there is important information to include in any bug report:

• Your KSP version
  • Your mods and versions (if any)
  • Your Operating System and version
  • Steps to cause the problem
  • Cause the problem, then quit KSP and find your output log:
    • Windows (32 bit): KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt
    • Windows (64 bit): KSP_win64\KSP_x64_DATA\output_log.txt
    • Mac OS X: Open Console, find Unity on the left side, and click on Player.log. It's also located at ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log.
    • Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log

Nonono :D, You still don´t understand it. I didn´t removed Remote Tech, just the signal delay.

But right now I am testing it without Remote Tech at all, I´ll update here in a few moments...

EDIT 1: Removed Remote Tech, IR still not working, reinstalling IR now

EDIT 2: IR is working again after reinstalling it, I will add Remote Tech now and see what happens....

EDIT 3: Okay so magically the Bug is not there anymore, but I´ve found another bug. I forgot it and now I remember it again.

If you remove a IR part, it stays in the group editor, and the window of the group editor is bugged. I need to reload the vessel or the VAB/SPH to get the window normal and the ghost part removed. What should I do?

I thank you for helping me with the other problem :)

Edited by Mirakuli

If you remove a IR part, it stays in the group editor, and the window of the group editor is bugged. I need to reload the vessel or the VAB/SPH to get the window normal and the ghost part removed. What should I do?

That's a known issue, and you should do exactly what you did.

Glad it's working again – I suspected an installation issue. If you're not using the other IR parts (Rework and Station parts), it's easiest to just completely reinstall IR every time there's an update.

Part request! Could you add a Motor? I'm trying to make a helicopter-like probe for planets with an atmosphere (but I don't just want to use Firespitter, I want to build my own rotors) and the Rotatron doesn't spin fast enough. I tried stacking Rotatrons, but that quickly got out of hand... :)

SirJoab,

The spin seems to get out of hand almost no matter what you do. See the lack of entries in this otherwise excellent challenge? Just for fun, I tried it with the Station Hub part. That was even harder to control.

If you want to experiment, in flight, change the number next to the IR group – it's a speed multiplier. You could also edit the keyRotateSpeed in the part config.

This mod is WONDERFUL! I'm having so much fun designing origami structures that pack as efficiently as possible into procedural fairings and unfold themselves on command!

One thing that's bugging me though: I'm totally clueless about the flat hinges (the ones that look like door hinges). I can't for the life of me get them to attach in any predictable way, or anything to attach predictably to them. Are they only meant to attach to certain other parts, or am I doing something wrong?

For instance, I wanted to place a couple of girders next to each other with an open door hinge at the top, so that they unfold to become like one long girder. But I just can't manage to get them to attach the right way to the hinge.

I was working on that earlier. This MM config will make a copy of every IR part and make it free moving:

$PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[MuMechToggle]]:FINAL
{
@name ^= :$:_uncontrolled:
@title ^= :$: (uncontrolled):
@MODULE[MuMechToggle]
{
@freeMoving = True
@servoName = <Uncontrolled>
@jointSpring = 0.0000001
!keyRotateSpeed = dummy
!rotateKey = dummy
!revRotateKey = dummy
!motorSndPath = dummy
}
}

I couldn't figure out a way around the limitation sirkut decribed, though. Is that handled by the plugin?

Also, it makes copies of the parts the are already free moving. The documentation for :HAS is rather sparse and I couldn't quite nail down how to make a :HAS limitation for a property that doesn't exist.

@Tinyboss:

Could you post pictures of what you're trying to do? It can be difficult to find the correct orienation for the flat hinges, but I'm not sure that's the problem you're having.

@Master Tao: Here's a quick sketch of what I want to do. I just can't get things to attach this way in the VAB.

With a great amount of trial and error I can maybe get the hinge onto the end of the first girder in the correct orientation. But I can never get the second girder where I need it to be.

hinge.png

Edited by Tinyboss

I can get them to mostly behave by rotating the parts (WASDQE keys, with shift for smaller rotations). That said, this is why I primarily use the Rework parts. The hinges have stack attach nodes (the little green balls in the editor) and little yellow indicators for which end you should attach first.

I can get them to mostly behave by rotating the parts (WASDQE keys, with shift for smaller rotations). That said, this is why I primarily use the Rework parts. The hinges have stack attach nodes (the little green balls in the editor) and little yellow indicators for which end you should attach first.

I saw that, but I was scared off by the ModuleManager config it says I need to use (and which I notice was made by you). I'm very new at modding KSP. What do I do with that file, InfernalRoboticsRework_0_24_Fix.cfg?

Edited by Tinyboss

I saw that, but I was scared off by the ModuleManager config it says I need to use (and which I notice was made by you). I'm very new at modding KSP. What do I do with that file, InfernalRoboticsRework_0_24_Fix.cfg?

Edit: Never mind, I opened up the .zip and I see there's a file by (nearly) that name. Obviously I'm meant to replace it with the linked one.

They have different names? They shouldn't. The linked copy and the zipped one should be identical, except the zipped one has folders. You can put the config anywhere in GameData. I just put it in Nonspecific Products as a stupid joke.