[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

Updated to 3.12:

• Updated for KSP 1.0.
  • Procedural fairings now use new stock airstream shielding and drag cube rendering.
  • Inline fairings now check if the top is closed by a single big part of the same vessel. Make sure that's the case or the shielding won't work.
  • Changed and rearranged tech limits for the new tech tree.
  • Converted textures to DDS.
  • Fixed manual shape UI issues.
  • Number of shielded parts is now displayed in the right-click menu for the fairing base. It might be inaccurate in the editor.
  • Removed old deprecated parts (non-resizable fairing bases etc).

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I'll add it to KerbalStuff and Curse when I'll have a little more brainz and time.

Awesomeness :D

thank you for the update, the stock fairings are a big delusion for me

Can I advise you to not lose time with that? One of my main gripes with stock fairings is that all of their mass is in the base, as the side is massless, and ejecting the fairings have no advantage whatsoever until you drop the base too. In the end it's your call, but I don't know if it's worth to make something that works like stock and is just going to clutter the part list

Never thought about that lol. Stock fairing are even more useless. I agree with not wasting time on that, but that is your call e dog

Thank you e-dog for update! :D

I consider using a custom shader so that the mapping profile could define vertex colors too. That'll use less textures (for colored stripes etc.), similar to B9 procedural wings, and colors could be tweaked in-game too.

I really hope they will be customizable. I mean I can't live without Jupiter fairings from Blackheart's pack http://imgur.com/a/6Sn4J#5

I am SO glad this is staying alive in the ReleaseVerse of KSP 1.0! Thanks a million!

I am too, it is still superior to the Stock fairings IMO. I have been fiddling around with those other fairings and they are... interesting to say the least.

This mod is officially dead. It serves no purpose other than to take up more space and ram on your computer now.

After suppressing my surprise at meeting the official decider of which mods are still alive, I thought I would just say that IMHO it is not.

The options for fairing separation are better, the fairings have mass and end up with better shapes for less parts. Textures are available for them.

If using nu-FAR the exact shape of the fairing will have definite, separate effects on the performance of your craft meaning there will be a difference in craft performance (especially during trans and super sonic flight) between egg and conic fairings.

TL;DR I think you are wrong when you say that.

Thank you e-dog for saving us from the horror that is crispy fairings.

I'm glad that this is continuing, it's far superior to the new stock fairings IMHO. Procedural Parts are another wish, along with Deadly Reentry, which seems far more consistent and realistic than the new stock heating, and whose heatshields actually protect the craft...

Nearly every time I reenter now, the capsule flips around and explodes, there doesn't seem to be much I can do to fix the balance of a capsule with a parachute at the top and a heatshield on the bottom...

Anyway, thank you for continuing with this.

I'm glad that this is continuing, it's far superior to the new stock fairings IMHO. Procedural Parts are another wish, along with Deadly Reentry, which seems far more consistent and realistic than the new stock heating, and whose heatshields actually protect the craft...

Nearly every time I reenter now, the capsule flips around and explodes, there doesn't seem to be much I can do to fix the balance of a capsule with a parachute at the top and a heatshield on the bottom...

Check the stock bug fix thread, there is a fix for the physics of heatshields there.

Here, I made this:

@PART[KzResizableFairingBase]:Final
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleDecouple
ejectionForce = 100
explosiveNodeID = top
}
}

@PART[KzResizableFairingBaseRing]:Final
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleDecouple
ejectionForce = 100
explosiveNodeID = top
}
}

Would this code still work for 1.0?

anyone else having issues with interstage fairing bases? regular fairings work fine, but interstages seem to be plagued with the same node attachment bug that is affecting many parts mods

anyone else having issues with interstage fairing bases? regular fairings work fine, but interstages seem to be plagued with the same node attachment bug that is affecting many parts mods

I too am experiencing this issue. Even had it kick me out of the game at one point.

You can get around that in the interim with the debug menu, there's an option to not use strict node attachments.

Citizen247, there are a couple of threads floating around about this. They made the heat shields physics-less, which in 1.0 adds the mass to the parent part, which raises your CoM. If you go down into the \GameData\Squad\Parts\Aero\HeatShield folder you can edit the three HeatShield#.cfg files and change PhysicsSignificance=1 to 0. Then the heat shield has its own mass and the capsule enters shield first.

Using latest version, I ran into a problem where I can't revert (or go to space center/tracking station) after launch when using proc fairings. Using same rocked with the fairings removed fixes the problem.

Here is a log from one launch where the problem occurred:

http://pastebin.com/ySBPU1UJ

I can't replicate it, and there are some strange errors there (like "failed to call OnVesselUnpack") which I don't get in my install.

What do you mean by "can't revert"? What does exactly happen?

Can you make a stock+PF craft to replicate the issue?

- - - Updated - - -

I too am experiencing this issue. Even had it kick me out of the game at one point.

What is the issue with the interstage exactly? Pictures?