[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

5 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Posts like this don't really help unless they are accompanied by logs and at least a description of what you did before the problem happened.

Refer to the following link for help in locating your logs and on preferred methods of making them available for others to see:

Meh, I didn't take the time to pull the log as I'm not really looking for support. I simple solved the problem in the quickest easiest way for my personal needs which was to simply reverse the change resulting in the issue.

Just thought that some information might be better than none. Apologies if I was wrong.

1 hour ago, Bishop149 said:

Meh, I didn't take the time to pull the log as I'm not really looking for support. I simple solved the problem in the quickest easiest way for my personal needs which was to simply reverse the change resulting in the issue.

Just thought that some information might be better than none. Apologies if I was wrong.

Regardless of whether or not you were looking for support, without logs it's going to be just as hard for the problem to be investigated.

Understand: I'm not ragging on you, it's just a simple fact that you need logs to troubleshoot. What exactly crashed? Were there errors involved? If so, what code did the errors happen in? What code was responsible for THAT code being executed?

Nobody knows. Without logs there's no way of knowing.

Edited by Starwaster

3 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Regardless of whether or not you were looking for support, without logs it's going to be just as hard for the problem to be investigated.

Understand: I'm not ragging on you, it's just a simple fact that you need logs to troubleshoot. What exactly crashed? Were there errors involved? If so, what code did the errors happen in? What code was responsible for THAT code being executed?

Nobody knows. Without logs there's no way of knowing.

So basically, we need to include logs if we want to get support, and we need to include logs if we want to give support to the mod author.

(and reproduction steps, and all that)

Edited by Gryphon

4 hours ago, Gryphon said:

So basically, we need to include logs if we want to get support, and we need to include logs if we want to give support to the mod author.

You always have to provide some means of debugging and the logs are an easy and fast way to troubleshoot a KSP installation. As @Starwastersaid how are we going to know what is wrong? You, the user, know your KSP installation better than everyone else but most of the problems cannot be described by words (or even images). With the logs you can see exactly how the mods are behaving and if something breaks on the way then it will be possible to see when and how it broke.

6 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

You always have to provide some means of debugging and the logs are an easy and fast way to troubleshoot a KSP installation. As @Starwastersaid how are we going to know what is wrong? You, the user, know your KSP installation better than everyone else but most of the problems cannot be described by words (or even images). With the logs you can see exactly how the mods are behaving and if something breaks on the way then it will be possible to see when and how it broke.

And we know WHICH mods are installed too! If a player forgets about a mod they have installed (oh yeah! I forgot that was there...) it's all there in the log. ModuleManager.ConfigCache is another good file to have in conjunction with output_log.txt

I seem to be having an issue with interstages. I set the parameters of the fairing correct, but once I launch the fuselage fairing pops and causes the whole rocket to blow up. It even happens when throttling up on the launchpad, it is as if the fairing gets shook to death.

Edited by JebThrillMaster

1 hour ago, JebThrillMaster said:

I seem to be having an issue with interstages. I set the parameters of the fairing correct, but once I launch the fuselage fairing pops and causes the whole rocket to blow up. It even happens when throttling up on the launchpad, it is as if the fairing gets shook to death.

Might be a certain known issue concerning autostrutting. Turn off autostrutting on the fairing. (right click the base)

If you require struts, manually place the stock struts.

So, while deploying the fairings at orbit, no acceleration at all, torque 0.00, power 0.03, the fairing base was destroyed and the "Cannot deploy blahblah while stowed" bug went through the door.
I had the fairing base decoupled staged .off and placed a separator on top of it, also with a low power (and this one didn't harm anything).

All right, in the correct order I was able to deploy this and that, but the heat radiators around the nuclear reprocessor are still stowed, but perhaps the heat radiators of the nuclear reactor have enough capacity. I can start the reprocessor right now, it has nothing to do so early, I have to transfer the depleted fuel manually and it would work chunk by chunk and perhaps heat will not be an issue then.
Also the SSP Mk2 (2.5m) solar panels which are embedded into a hex truss are stowed.

Autostruts were disabled.

No log, no support?
(Game still running) https://www.dropbox.com/s/5t7ekzfj1dvuh7v/2016-05-24-1%20Cannot%20deploay%20while%20stowed%20under%20PF.7z?dl=0

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Edited by Gordon Dry

I recently upgraded to 1.1.2 (playing RO/RSS/RP-0).  When I did the upgrade, I did a clean install of KSP, then manually installed the latest versions of all the mods that I use.  I did not, however, start a new game.  I just continued with my previous save.  Everything seemed to be fine but I was only working with satellites, capsules and stations that I already had in orbit.  I hadn't built or tried to launch a new rocket since the update.  Last night I finally wanted to do that but when I tried to use a procedural fairing base (either the interstage or normal bases) I run into problems.  The part is at it's base configuration and when I place and right click on the part, I do not get any of the expected options to alter the size and/or configuration of the base.  I'm assuming I've either installed something wrong or have accidentally introduced a flaw during the reinstall but before I try going through all 65+ mods that I use, I figured I'd ask around and see if this has happened to anyone else.

6 hours ago, chrisl said:

The part is at it's base configuration and when I place and right click on the part, I do not get any of the expected options to alter the size and/or configuration of the base.  I'm assuming I've either installed something wrong or have accidentally introduced a flaw during the reinstall but before I try going through all 65+ mods that I use, I figured I'd ask around and see if this has happened to anyone else.

I just unlocked the first Fairing Base in my new game on 1.1.2, and I can confirm that I have the typical size and configuration options available on right-click.

I'd focus on checking just your PF install first. You might also check in a sandbox game.

Edited by Gryphon

3 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

Setting Ejection Torque to 0.00 does not always help, my last launches where for the bucket because they still rotated and destroyed my payload.

I noticed ejection power changes on procedural decouplers having no effect as well. This might be a general decoupler issue and not a PF thing...

Is there any conclusion why the MJ auto staging doesn't work with the PF ?

I just used the Main Sailor black fairings for interstages, because they look better when on a main sailor textured black rocket (the default ones only have one dull color) and then the behavior is the same.

Default interstaging fairings = auto staging works
Payload fairings misused as interstage fairings = auto staging doesn't work as like as with the payload fairing itself

Hey, playing RP0/RO in 1.1.2.   My IB - interstage w/Decoupler (Procedural Fairing) doesn't actually seem to decouble ever.  The option to remove coupling from staging is not set, I can see the decoupler node in my staging list, but it just doesn't.  There's no option in the right click menu to decouple it manually either.

My rules of thumb for pF :

1. Top node always connects to a (centre-node) engine....even if you dont need it.

2. Maintain the 2m interstage separation between top and bottom nodes (the height slider). Increase if needed.

3. Bottom node always connects to a (centre-node) tank.

4. Interstage base for interstages, fairing base for payload.

5. Avoid connecting to clipped engines or tanks.

I get clipping on load issues and dead stages if i get too creative.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21.05.2016 at 11:12 PM, Starwaster said:

Might be a certain known issue concerning autostrutting. Turn off autostrutting on the fairing. (right click the base)

If you require struts, manually place the stock struts.

I have the same issue which causes a side of fairing to detach itself on the launchpad once physics is initialized. I can confirm that disabling auto strutting resolves the issue.

Is there a mod for this that allow changing textures of the fairings to match the Procedural parts textures? Like you know how you can swap textures in the VAB on Procedural parts with the lil arroes in the rightclic menu... it would be cool if procedural fairings had that too.

18 minutes ago, Dermeister said:

Is there a mod for this that allow changing textures of the fairings to match the Procedural parts textures? Like you know how you can swap textures in the VAB on Procedural parts with the lil arroes in the rightclic menu... it would be cool if procedural fairings had that too.

Procedural Fairings for everything

I'm trying to build a Saturn I with the basic procedural parts of RO and having trouble. The problem seems like it may be with either procedural fairings or the RL10 engine. Guidance develops a mind of it's own and the whole craft gets wet noodle syndrome with decoupling causing explosive super-sonic accelerations. If I take the payload fairing sides off but leave the interstages normal the rocket behaves (regardless of increased drag). Put the fairing cover on and it goes exploding noodle again. If I replace the arrays of RL10s with single LR-87 H2 at each stage it also seems to go away.

Auto-strutting is off and when I use the RL10 array I have a decoupler in the center of the engines connected to the fuel tank's central node, with a structural part (gird or procedural, happens either way) leading from the decoupler to the interstage fairing which in turn rests on the fuel tank of the next stage below.  The payload fairing at the top is connected to the 3rd stage fuel tank bellow and a decoupler with another dummy payload fuel tank above.

Does my RL10 array violate the rules Redkraken laid out and could be a cause of the issue directly?  If so why does removing the payload fairing sides fix it?  Is there another way to arrange the interstage that would fix it and allow it to fly normally with payload fairing sides on?

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wkz6wzvsdd5a7pp/output_log.txt?dl=0

-Modlist

RP-0, RSS, RO, [X]science, Filter Extensions, Toolbar, AJE, B9-Proc Wings, BahaSP, Community Resource Pack, Community Tech Tree, Connected Living Spaces, Contract Configurator, Custom Barn Kit, DRE, Engine Group Controller, FAR, FireSpitter, ForScience, Hangar Extender, GCMonitor, KCT, KJR, Kerbaltek, Kerbal Renamer, Kopernicus, KSC Switcher, MJ2, Minimum Ambient Lighting, MiniAVC, Modular Flight Intergrator, Proc Fairings, Proc Parts, RCSBuildAid, Realchute, Realfuels, Realheat, Remotetech, Semi-Saturable Reaction Wheels, Safechute, Scantsat, Shipmanifest, Smokescreen, solver engines, sxt, testflight, texture replacer, TacLS, KAC, VenStockRevamp, Wider Contract App, Module Manager

All kept up to data via Ckan

And craft too: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4wsmwwuag1vxrth/Saturn I.craft?dl=0

Edited by Herrkurt
Log Added

So I'm having an issue with using interstage fairings. Here's my rocket:

XOOaRAM.jpg

So, the behaviour I want is for the middle fairings to decouple after I separate the probe at the top. The structural fairings don't have this ability (why not?) If I use the aerodynamic fairings however, there seem to be some structural issues because the nose cone inside of the middle fairing will break off from aerodynamic stresses. This doesn't happen when using the structural fairings. Is this by design, or possibly a bug? How can I get this to work?