[1.0.5] TAC Life Support v0.11.2.1 [12Dec]

TaranisElsu

Hi there,

I'm using the pre4 and when I do an EVA, immediately all resources are depleted for the Kerbal and everything goes red! I did use the default settings for EVA (EvaDefaultResourceAmount = 43200), but that doesn't seem to work...

I'm using the following mods:

- Karbonite

- 000_Toolbar

- B9_Aerospace

- CommunityResourcePack

- Kerbal Engineer Redux

- FAR

- Firespitter

- KAS

- RasterPropMonitor

- Infernal Robotics

- ModStatistics

- Final Frontier

- OpenResourceSystem

- DockingPortAlignment

- PartCatalog

- Procedural Fairings

- RemoteTech2

- ScanSat

- TarsierSpaceTech

- TAC (off courser)

Any conflicting Mods? Why is the TAC immediately depleted on EVA?

Greetings,

Gesture.

Did you install a new version from curse if so there seems to be, from what I have read here, issues with it from there, although I am not sure if it covers this problem it is worth looking into. If you have a clean install as a backup I would recommend installing the version of TAC you have now and see if it gives the same result and do the same for the other mods, this should narrow down the problem.

Ugh, I've looked but haven't found it, sorry in advance. Can someone tell me how to change the displayed "Amounts." On a previous install (.23.5) I had it set to show amounts as Days available. Now I see amounts as a volume quantity Food = 6.8, O2 = 2221.8, H20 = 13.

Ugh, I've looked but haven't found it, sorry in advance. Can someone tell me how to change the displayed "Amounts." On a previous install (.23.5) I had it set to show amounts as Days available. Now I see amounts as a volume quantity Food = 6.8, O2 = 2221.8, H20 = 13.

Previous versions of TAV-LS used to use "1 unit of resource = 1 kerbin-day of consumption", giving the readouts you were seeing.

This causes...... issues if you have another mod that uses water, say, where 1 unit = 1 liter, similarly for oxygen, there are many mods that deal in oxygen, but 1 unit = two-and-a-bit thousand liters isn't very useful to anything other than LS. It gets even worse when you try to swap quantities around, using something like Modular Fuels, and the only real way to make everything play nice together is to standardise on the volumes of a unit of a resource, usually at 1u=1l or 1u=5l, and stick with that for all your resources.

Hence in the pre-releases for tac-ls, the units are now liters, not days, so you can no longer simply see them that way in the resource panel.

The life support status panel should still show you how long things will last though, I think.

udont need ioncross installed if u using tac they do something but tac is much more advanced. try taking out ion and see if its effecting it. always to many mods modifying 1 part is bad

I have Ioncross installed...is that affecting it?

1) I'm pretty sure you are not supposed to use 2 life support mods at the same time. The real surprise would be if they were compatible.

2) The TAC life support resources are stored in dedicated containers found in the "utility" category.

But seriously, you can't run them together.

I personally stick with the Soyuz\Apollo method of cramming your stuff behind the capsule in the service module, and jettisoning it just before you hit the upper atmosphere. After checking there is still 02 and electricity left in the capsule, of course. :sealed:

Sounds good. How does one jettison this life-support stuff, anyway? Just use a decoupler? Sort of a "food stage"?

Sounds good. How does one jettison this life-support stuff, anyway? Just use a decoupler? Sort of a "food stage"?

My consumables are all on docking nodes so that I can swap them. Each can has a miniature probe core, chute, and RCS. My resupply ship has 6 docking points for these supply pods and I fly it into LKO to meet up with the deep space science vessel or station, then I detach a supply pod and jet it over to dock. I detach the waste pod once full and drop it into the atmosphere to be recovered by my recovery plugin for a small refund, or I bring it back on the reusable resupply ship.

Edit: Just be warned if you try to replicate this, docking the pods along the resupply ship has proven unstable sometimes during launch and requires some strutting.

Thanks, forsaken1111. I'm early in my career, so I don't yet have docking ports (!), but I rather like the idea of mobile supply pods. Fun!

Early on I just brought as much of the craft as possible back to a safe landing to get the highest refund possible. Lately I have also been recovering spent orbital stages and transit stages, mostly for fun. I use KAS to slap on a few chutes and send them home for recycling. Fight the Kessler syndrome!

But yes, if you want detachable life support just put on a decoupler to jettison all nonessential bits.

I have gone threw a lot of this mods pages, and I'm sorry if it has already been ask, I searched the web for 3 hours last night. I'm ready in game to take my first baby steps to the Mun and I can't figure out how much life support I need. Is there some place I can find a list of travel times between the different bodies? I have a bad habit of trying to over engineer stuff, and I don't want to pack 20 tons of life support if I only need 5 tons. Or if someone can point out a general guide line for how much to pack to go where, would be grateful.

I have gone threw a lot of this mods pages, and I'm sorry if it has already been ask, I searched the web for 3 hours last night. I'm ready in game to take my first baby steps to the Mun and I can't figure out how much life support I need. Is there some place I can find a list of travel times between the different bodies? I have a bad habit of trying to over engineer stuff, and I don't want to pack 20 tons of life support if I only need 5 tons. Or if someone can point out a general guide line for how much to pack to go where, would be grateful.

That is a complicated question because transit times between bodies depend on how much Delta-v you can expend to shorten your travel time. The most fuel-efficient transfers are also the longest, with transit times of months or even years to distant worlds. With enough power in your rocket though you can get to the mun in less than an hour.

I'd suggest using an unmanned test vehicle first to get a feeling for the transfer to your target. You can see how long it will take once you make the transfer burn. Actually you might be able to see it by using a maneuver node.

For getting to Mun, you're looking at travel times in the order of a day or two (earth day) each way, or less.

For longer trips, take a look at http://alexmoon.github.io/ksp/ where you will find an excellent calculator for launch windows and transit times for anywhere to anywhere :)

This helps some what, thanks. Now is it what, 1 liter of support per day or am I wrong. If that is the case that would mean that a container with 10 liters of each food, water, and Oxygen would last 10 days? Thanks for the quick response.

Food, oxygen, water, etc are 1 unit = 1 Liter. A container with 10L each of food, water, and O2 will last approximately 180 hours, 240 hours, and 2 hours, respectively. Oxygen is stored compressed, however, so 1 liter of volume actually holds about 221L of oxygen (if it were uncompressed). So, stored, 10L of O2 compressed would be about 440 hours' worth.

Note: those numbers presume 1 Kerbal.

Edited by panarchist
added clarification

Hi guys.

No one has a collection of mods extend this? For example I'm looking for something like greenhouses for growing food and reproduction oxygen for the base.

I will be glad and other interesting mod to expand this.

Modular Kolonization Systems / Orbital Kolonization Systems will do that and more. If that's too complex, MunSeeker has an addon greenhouse available.

Thanks for the reply, I will keep this in mind when I go on my manned mission in a few hours from now. So 2 days there, 2 days back, 2 days orbit EVAs, and 2 days Mun biome jumping, 8 days total, add 2 more day for good measure, 10 days of supplies is more then enough. So the 10 L of each is plenty?

Did you install a new version from curse if so there seems to be, from what I have read here, issues with it from there, although I am not sure if it covers this problem it is worth looking into. If you have a clean install as a backup I would recommend installing the version of TAC you have now and see if it gives the same result and do the same for the other mods, this should narrow down the problem.

You are absolutely correct, I didn't notice the version text in the mod. Somehow I downloaded v0.8.0.4 i.s.o. 0.9pre4 :huh:... Perhaps it was curse that gave me the wrong version? After looking at 'other downloads' in curse, I could download the 0.9pre4. It now works great! Thanks.

Greetings,

Gesture.

You know, it might be an interesting touch to make the EVA jetpacks sue monopropellant from the ship, like Squad once planned to do. I know that it's possible, because asmi's ECLSS did it. Now, though, as that mod isn't updated, maybe Taranis could think of adding it to TAC Life Support. Just a musing, disregard if you wish.

so every time i go EVA everything goes depleted except for electricity, please help!!

I had this issue. I took TAC out (deleted the folder from gamedata), redownloaded the newest pre-release, put it in my gamedata folder, and my Kerbals on EVA now consume and have proper resources. I had the problem with the same version I ended up installing. I guess another mod overwrote something that TAC didn't like.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/40667?p=1327963&viewfull=1#post1327963

You know, it might be an interesting touch to make the EVA jetpacks sue monopropellant from the ship, like Squad once planned to do. I know that it's possible, because asmi's ECLSS did it. Now, though, as that mod isn't updated, maybe Taranis could think of adding it to TAC Life Support. Just a musing, disregard if you wish.

Agreed. It would give me a reason to care more about monoprop. At the moment I just pack as little as possible because I'm fairly good at docking. I really wish Kerbals didn't just pull EVAProp out of their proverbial rear ends.

Edited by Immashift

I keep forgetting that this is a thing. I've done quite a few EVAs and I never thought about it. From now on until TAC Life Support manages to support this I'll just use the TAC Fuel Balancer to dump monopropellant