What do you guys think of the Mun's new surface?

bigdad84

It looks.....odd. The size of the craters is too uniform, with mainly two sizes.

But mostly it looks weird because there are craters all over the maria (the dark, flat areas). In our solar system, the maria formed later, after the initial heavy bombardments that cleared most of the debris out of the solar system after the planets formed. Maria should have relatively few craters.

I think they overdid it a bit...

This. I also think so. But it would provide more of a challenge.

Also, I don't really like the colors of them. Comparing them with the surface around them, they should be somewhat bright.

And another personal thing. Don't even know why they did this. There was nothing really wrong with the current Mun (imo). I mean, think about it. It's like they're desperately trying to base it from IRL (which I heard they're already doing).

This is supposed to be an entirely different star system than ours. Different planets. Different ways they're formed.

Edited by Benie

it really depends on my next question. they say the crater generation is procedural, but does that mean that every time a person makes a new save file, it will replant all the craters in random places? or did the devs just create an algorithm or something that spawned all the craters, and then set that specific layout as the default? ie. will my crater placement be the same as my friends? will the crater placement be different from one save file to the next?

if its the same for everyone, i love it!

if its different for every save file, i dislike it because it means no one can agree on what the craters are. and you cant name them or anything like that

it really depends on my next question. they say the crater generation is procedural, but does that mean that every time a person makes a new save file, it will replant all the craters in random places? or did the devs just create an algorithm or something that spawned all the craters, and then set that specific layout as the default? ie. will my crater placement be the same as my friends? will the crater placement be different from one save file to the next?

if its the same for everyone, i love it!

if its different for every save file, i dislike it because it means no one can agree on what the craters are. and you cant name them or anything like that

IIRC, it is the same for everyone. They just made the specific layout.

It looks better, but the craters look too even...

Also, the craters are the same for everyone. Procedural =/= Random.

701889main_moon_image.jpg

As you can see, the craters on our own moon are far more sparse in size, from kilometers across to just a few meters.

It would look a lot nicer if planetary bodies cast shadows on themselves in game.

Love it! Just the kind of terrain I was hoping for. A bit on the "uncanny valley" side with its regularity, but I trust it will improve.

Edited by Jack Wolfe

I do not think that is overkill. I love it.

Perhaps, one posits, Kerbin's early days included a period of high meteorite activity, perhaps during the formation of the Mun.

I've been looking forward to detail like this.

Well, seems you Truely can't please everyone, there have been people who were calling for more craters, they never said they had to be different sizes. This is what we got and honestly this is much much better than the huge craters and then nothing else of interest.

Moon-Mun-Comparison.jpg

In my opinion I think that it is a really good step in the right direction, but the craters do need a bit more visible diversity in size, depth, maybe even shape? Also I think the coloration in the craters should vary a bit more so that there is a diversity of "older" and "younger" craters, just my input.

Edited by CoriW

I think the mechanic of procedural crates is absolutely epic, visually it adds so much more texture and depth to the Mun especially from space and I can only imagine how amazing similar terrain generating techniques will make other planets / moons look. From a purely esthetic point of view regarding the Mun I wouldn't go as far as to say it's overkill exactly, just that it needs a little fine tuning to tone it done a touch. A few less craters here and there (or less in specific areas maybe) and as others have mentioned perhaps a little less uniformity if that's possible, a little adjustment and it'll be just about perfect I think.

I think the main difference, uniformity in size aside, is the Moon looks as though some craters have worn with age, through solar ablation and limited volcanic activity. The Mun looks too... fresh.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.