Come back old ASAS - all is forgiven!

ComradeGoat

just tested some old saves that i had couple spacestations that before ripped itself apart and wobled like no end to them. now, turn on asas, no propblem. it is bit sluggish but what do you expect when changing rotation of a 100ton spacetation. only mod i have is engineering redux, but none of the stations have that part even equipped.

I have to say to the community this: when you are on easy level its normal to be ashemed to switch to an harder one. This ASAS is giving a punch to the ssto and im really happy of it. Now i have to fly my sstos. But everything is fine (once you have rebalanced all due to the weight increase). The real bad thing is to see viecles inside your hangar.

I wouldn't even say its increased difficulty, it sounds more like a bug with how varied people are with experiencing it. hmmm I remember one of the preview videos had the really small stock plane flying fantastically, time to test that in the final version.

just tested some old saves that i had couple spacestations that before ripped itself apart and wobled like no end to them. now, turn on asas, no propblem. it is bit sluggish but what do you expect when changing rotation of a 100ton spacetation. only mod i have is engineering redux, but none of the stations have that part even equipped.

that is the point. its not wobbling because it hardly does anything

I just tried planes yet, no rockets, and the new SAS works like a charm for me. I never had so much fun flying a plane in KSP, if it works even better for rockets as many people stated, it should be absolutely great.

Just used it for atmosphere though, no spaceplanes yet, it sure will be different from now on, but if it works as good as for normal planes, it should be fantastic.

The SAS IS working, but its on using like 1% of rotational torque. The result: Ship spins 100 times until SAS sloooooooooowly stops it.

I agree. Also, it's not using the gimbaling of the engines or RCS. If you've got a small compact rocket, this system is a dream. However, on a huge launch attempting to put 50+ tons (payload only) into orbit, it is literally useless.

Edit: Almost forgot. These are new builds with no mods.

Edited by Beachernaut

okay I just tested out the really small stock plane to compare how it handles now, to how it handled in one of the preview videos when someone used it. it is DEFENIATLY worse now than it was in the video, squad either nerfed it severely or there is a huge bug with it.

EDIT: okay it looks like the dip down planes do was present in that version, but it wasn't as severe or just not as noticeable because he(Scott Manley) was making smaller more precise movements. I still think it's probably a bug, if not it needs to change.

Edited by skyace65

This new update has caused literally nothing but issues for me, the ASAS is terrible, all I get now is my rocket rolling around uncontrollably, if I fight the roll it takes forever to have any effect, then when I do get it running straight again and just leave is with the SAS activated it decides "**** you I want to roll" and off it goes, I can now no longer get into orbit with rockets I made it to Mun and Minmus and back earlier today. Bring back the old ASAS/SAS, otherwise this game has just become another pointlessly messed up game that I simply won't be able to play anymore and I don't think I will be the only one.

okay I just tested out the really small stock plane to compare how it handles now, to how it handled in one of the preview videos when someone used it. it is DEFENIATLY worse now than it was in the video, squad either nerfed it severely or there is a huge bug with it.

im starting to suspect bug, since half the forum says its great and half says its complete sh*t.

Satellite shuttle that was working fine in 0.20 is fine up until i jettision first engines, then it just drops right down outta the sky.

Basic rocket with 4 engines and just SAS was fine till my gravity turn and then i had to fight it again.

At first i thought everyone was complaining about nothing but as soon as i started KSP 0.21 for the first time i saw how bad the new ASAS was, it literally cannot even hold a heading on my perfectly stable rocket, what is this?

I can't say as I'm enjoying the new ASAS/SAS, either. For some applications the new "soft" SAS helps matters greatly. However, for most situations (e.g., ones where you want to be completely locked in a direction) it's hardly better than not having SAS active at all. It would be nice if we had parts that could use this "soft" system when needed and others that could be activated when precision heading lock is required.

Erm, I think I found your problem that craft is a-systematical

A proper SAS implementation should be able to easily compensate for that using the existing controls surfaces (or gimbals, in this case).

Been playing for about an hour now - no problems. At all. I've launched 5 or 6 rockets, and the ASAS works beautifully for me - no spinning, no wobbling, holds a heading. RCS performs wonderfully as well.

In fact, in the older versions i regularly put rockets into orbit at weird angles cos my rockets would spin and stuff - now im launching them on a 90 degree angle, everytime.

Its weird how some people are having trouble - even the planes i launched work (and i am no pilot, let me tell you - i don't go anywhere near planes if i can help it). Strange :(

My observation while testing this thing was that now you actually need control fins to compensate for missing torque. I see the zepto rockets above have no fins. You used to not need them, now you need them. There's a reason for control fins in real life.

All old designs will need a bit of tweaking. The old ASAS and SAS modules now weigh a lot more, and are completely unnecessary on smaller craft now. Control surfaces (fins especially) are now necessary to compensate for changes in the torque system. Put some fins on your rockets.

All old designs will need a bit of tweaking. The old ASAS and SAS modules now weigh a lot more, and are completely unnecessary on smaller craft now. Control surfaces (fins especially) are now necessary to compensate for changes in the torque system. Put some fins on your rockets.

None of this explains why my spaceplane, powered by a mere 2 24-77s, can't hold a heading in space.

We could always beg Squad to add functionality which would allow us to tune the (A)SAS manually. From memory, I think they used a standard PID type control system to control the craft. It would be rather hard to implement(if they did it mathematically correctly, it will be a little difficult to rewrite the code to generate the equation without a program like Mathematica), but if they have used 'school boy PID' (usually used in PIC microcontrollers when the system is reasonably well behaved) then we could tune the reaction of the (A)SAS to be however you wanted it for your tastes/craft.

It would also add an extra development stage for getting your ship into space but might be worth it. For those that are interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PID_controller

My observation while testing this thing was that now you actually need control fins to compensate for missing torque. I see the zepto rockets above have no fins. You used to not need them, now you need them. There's a reason for control fins in real life.

what about space? control fins dont work in a vacuum, but the ASAS' still broken

Have you guys tried sharing a .craft file around, just to see if it's a localized bug?

Either that or it's something wrong with our designs.

All my rockets end up in high-speed destructive cartwheels now.

ASAS works fine for me. It uses all of the control surfaces and gimbals on my spacecraft.

Picture:

TPFKyy7.png

(sorry for the big picture :P)

You can see the SAS using the control surface to try and realign the rocket on the heading.

I used the large 2.5m SAS control thing that doesn't provide reaction wheels, so maybe you guys aren't using the SAS modules properly.

Also, my launch stage with a Mainsail had the SAS controlling the gimbal perfectly.

EDIT: It may be Kerbal engineer redux, but I don't think so.

Edited by mythbusters844