Kerbin City Community Project - Phase B - New Islands

nothke

Kerbin the planet seems to go invisible every time I try to install kerbin city, I have kerbtown installed and it works fine, anybody else encounter this or find the fix for it

This is a known problem with KSP, I don't have this problem, but it happened once to me that Kerbin dissapeared, I restarted KSP and it was ok. I have no idea what causes it.

Anyone else has the same problem with Kerbin City?

The image immediately makes me think of a train station in Belgium (or was it France? My memory fails me at this time.) which resembles this very closely.

It's in Belgium, but don't know the city where it stands

This is a known problem with KSP, I don't have this problem, but it happened once to me that Kerbin dissapeared, I restarted KSP and it was ok. I have no idea what causes it.

Anyone else has the same problem with Kerbin City?

I have it with the moon sometimes, I see my moon base but when i usually hit the ground it explodes spontaneously

It's in Belgium, but don't know the city where it stands

Perhaps Antwerp Central?

It's got rose window type things, and a cool roof?

This the place?

inside.jpg

antwerp-1.jpg

I'd love to have something like that over the Platforms for Kerbin Central, but that'd be more than my fair share of polygons. Got to do something simpler.

Driving in the city is pretty awesome, but the Kerbs (road edge kind) like to eat my wheels. Maybe roll-over (sloped) Kerbs would be better. (Then again, it was a 20t rover.)

Edited by Tw1

Oh yeah I forgot to say it should not be a terminus station, but a transit station (tracks going off on both sides)

These are 2 version of where the tracks should go, one has a separate bridge over the "east river", while the other goes over the second deck of the "brick bridge"

uOJGEGw.jpg

rdKldSq.jpg

and for the station, this is what I was meaning, the two versions, one where the concourse is completely divided from the tracks (other floor), or the other where the top of the tracks is open so that you see trains as you enter the building. Both are good.. The first one gives more space in the top, a clear view of the hall that could be used for other activites too, and the other is more focused on trains, but note that the only trains you will see are probably those players make (unless someone shows up with an automatic train schedule plugin)

closed version:

MWKUpA1.jpg

open version:

green is the "bridge" by which you would get to the middle platform (for example), or orange another way to put stairs in..

cHOeNfx.jpg

Note that this is just an example, my thoughts on the layout, the platforms or stairs don't need to look like that, well, nothing needs to look like that xD There should be at least two tracks though, but it's all your choice really.

Edited by nothke

Perhaps Antwerp Central?

It's got rose window type things, and a cool roof?

This the place?

-SNIP-

I'd love to have something like that over the Platforms for Kerbin Central, but that'd be more than my fair share of polygons. Got to do something simpler.

Driving in the city is pretty awesome, but the Kerbs (road edge kind) like to eat my wheels. Maybe roll-over (sloped) Kerbs would be better. (Then again, it was a 20t rover.)

Yeah thats it. I love the 3 storeys of train tracks in Antwerp Central, and when you come outside there's everywhere jewelry shops.

CMXFrB6.jpg

Nothke, have you got a approximative date for allowing plot in phase 2? I'm already working on a plaza with 4 skyscrapers and a giant arch building in the center. I've got plenty of documentations about the english-style university campus, this could fit well with the KIRT (I'ce got to contact squirtgun1234).

Kerbin the planet seems to go invisible every time I try to install kerbin city, I have kerbtown installed and it works fine, anybody else encounter this or find the fix for it

I'm also getting this bug, I made a new install and re-downloaded KerbTown and this, but the problem persists :/

Hi,

I have some slowdown yet , however I have a very good computer. I think a big city in KSP is impossible without huge delays.

I think there should be several small towns separated by 20-30 kilometers rather than a big city that will transform the game in slideshow.

Each city could have its identity

I'm getting Roller Coaster Tycoon up in here!

It looks cool yes, but I'm concerned about the potential number of materials, the poly count and how complicated your collision meshes are going to be. You might want to go back and try to optimise things, especially from the point of view of colliders.

The meshes and materials are un-optimized for now, they are meant to be like that until I am ready for release, and then I will optimize them.

Basically I don't care much about mesh colliders and materials yet. (I WILL THOUGH!)

Why isn't there a train line to the industrial area? Isn't that the most obvious place for the (easy) transportation of goods from and to the factories, the port and the freight airport?

Because Tw1 is trying to make a train mod, but we don't know the width of the tracks

First of, thank you guys! We are on the KSP weekly =) Not just ON, but more than half of it is about the project and Razchek's KerbTown!

Good thing there was no major issues in the mod showcase video and the city worked fine =) phew. But apparently, there is a confusion between KerbTown plugin and Kerbin City Project, I feel embarrassed that from the video it sounds like it's Razchek's lack of organization. Yeah, I must say I had a big time problem with organization as you know but it's a one-of-a-kind project and apparently I don't know sometimes where to put things.

I also don't quite understand the confusion with links. If people want to download a mod, they should go to modding showcase forum, the development thread is used just for that, development. Most of the mods have a development thread, AND the showcase tread. The catch in this project is that there is not just one modder who publishes and sends links to showcase, but since it's a community project that invites anyone to join the development, I need to put info about it also to inform those who download it, that is why it's maybe confusing.

Another thing is that the download is... one day old. It still is "hot" and didn't cool down so of course there is a lot of confusion and I ran down to publish it as soon as possible (well at least I did the newspaper thingy xD).

And actually, there is only one requirement, and that is KerbTown plugin. So 2 downloads in total. The reason why I am not bundling it with Kerbin City is, firstly, in this way I pay full respect to Razchek for making the awesome plugin by redirecting to his thread, and secondly, if Razchek puts a new version of the plugin, I might not be right away there to update it in my bundle too, so the versions might be out of sync and cause a lot of trouble.

Now, the future of the project:

There is a big confusion about the phases too xD Some people are asking what is phase 3 (or C) now. If you read the phase description carefully you can see that phase B is not about modelling, it's about the masterplan, the more precise layout of what is to come and then, laying down of the streets, but not the plots. Phase B is meant to have everyone involved in brainstorming about it. I wrote people down in Phase 3 or C (C from now on, I always confuse numbers and letters) in the readme, cause these are people who asked for plots. So, lets say that phase C is going to be the actual modelling of the plots, but there actually will not be plots in the sense of the phase A because the method will be different (you can read about it in phase B section of Dev corner). CONFUSING, I know.

Soon, I will give you a more extensive description of phase B. I will update you on this later and hopefully things will be much clearer.

And now, back to work =) I have an airport to finish and overlook how the rest are doing =)

Edited by nothke

Hey guys, good to see this project made it into ksp weekly :)

Anyways, about my plot, I am taking a rather long time. I'm sure you can tell since I haven't posted any pictures of my models.

The reason as to why I haven't posted any pictures is that I have nothing to show. I can't think of anything good to create, writers block if you will, except for modelling.

Any recommendations as for what I should build?

two searches on google images that may give you some good ideas are "urban campus" and "urban plaza"

You could also do something like this if you lower a section of your plot down 10m to the water level:

River_Walk_Umbrellas..JPG

(I'm not using this idea and I'm not from Tx)

Looking forward to phase B! Hope it works out, with everyone's different time zones, and all that.

The end result should be awesome, none the less.

Oh yeah I forgot to say it should not be a terminus station, but a transit station -snip-

Note that this is just an example, my thoughts on the layout, the platforms or stairs don't need to look like that, well, nothing needs to look like that xD There should be at least two tracks though, but it's all your choice really.

Though the line continues, I'd call it a terminus, as passenger services would end there. If the line was extended past the freight terminal, this station would still be the place long distance trains terminate.

My plan is to have the tracks sort of behind the main hall, rather than directly under it, so we get the best of both track positions.

Something like this:

KBt7TLs.jpg

*quickish paint drawing*

Leaning towards the top platform arrangement, as it would be a cool experience to arrive and walk straight on to the concourse. But then, I'd need a number of inside polygons visible, which means more memory usage.

Maybe not.

I like the idea of having the subway near/connected. Sounds practical.

And a branch to the port and industry sounds like an idea to.

Decided to show the test version. Didn't quite upload right, but never mind.

Edit: Added copper dome, and made clock tower more clock tower like.

Because Tw1 is trying to make a train mod, but we don't know the width of the tracks

Still trying out track widths. So far, they're pretty wide, as this needs to be stable in lower gravity environments as well. The last test track segment was about 6 meters across.

Edited by Tw1

Nice building there. The train is really sharp looking! Speaking of good looking things, texturing is now underway at Blazing Aerospace HQ with community textures! The three material limit is going to be one massive PITA here in a minute though, I am already two in one for grass and one for concrete. Maybe we could set up community materials as well?

Anyways, picture below

qeM2NJH.jpg?1