Poll: Did your first Mun landing need a rescue ship to come rescue the Kerbals?

Spyritdragon

Did your first Mun landing need a rescue ship?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Did your first Mun landing need a rescue ship?

• No, i made it there and heroically came back with a single craft.
    • Yes, i heroically picked up the stranded Kerbals and brought them safely back home.
    • Yes, and the rescue ship got very heroically stuck on the Mun.
    • Yes, but we tried anyway and my Kerbals died a heroic death :-(

"No, there was nothing left to rescue after the crash!!"

My first was in version 0.13, when you had to wait for the moon to "rise" (no maneuver nodes) then burn like crazy!! So I did, ran out of fuel, then impacted the Mun. I was convinced I broke the Mun in two after that, but it appears to be in one piece! :sticktongue:

"No, there was nothing left to rescue after the crash!!"

My first was in version 0.13, when you had to wait for the moon to "rise" (no maneuver nodes) then burn like crazy!! So I did, ran out of fuel, then impacted the Mun. I was convinced I broke the Mun in two after that, but it appears to be in one piece! :sticktongue:

I still wait for the mun to rise..... still no damn clue about those maneuver nodes.. :P

No. Followed the Apollo-style mission on the wiki and surprised myself with a successful mission.

My first Duna landing was "converted" to a base when Jeb did a bit of lithobraking. Crashing rescue missions into Duna has become a full-time hobby.

Yeah, my very first tries weren't really serious, I never expected them to come back anyway, mostly just seeing how things worked (this was back in 0.13). So they left nice little craters. But my first "real" Mun mission had so much fuel and redundancy (learn from NASA) that it came back easily. I think I may have done a flyby of Minmus on the way back just for the heck of it.

My first Mun mission was unmanned, though...

Okay okay I know what you're trying to say.

No, I didn't need a rescue ship, I landed perfectly the first time and everything went as planned.

Until I reached LKO and realized that the capsule on the CSM didn't have any chutes attached. How could I perform such an oversight?

No matter, I happened to have a station in orbit, so I docked there and could have used one of the other OTVs docked to the station to perform a return/re-entry, but I left them in orbit and started a new game because the update was out.

I was still new, so the thought of sending "Another" ship to the Mun never occurred to me ( it was hard enough to get the first one there!), so after I was finished hopping around the Mun, enjoying low gravity (didn't bring any rovers or cool toys with me...) I just ended the flight.

Ah yes, I remember my first attempt at a real Mun landing resulted in a wrecked craft (due to a faulty landing attempt). Kerbals survived though. :P

FirstFailedMunLanding2_zps6973dc9f.png

My second attempt, however, was successful and made a successful return along with that. This was back in 0.13.3 of course. If there were any errors, Kerbals were definitely stranded without any hope of return. Plus, there was no persistence to rescue them at the time.

Getting stranded in space was definitely possible without any hope of rescue if you screwed up since there was no EVA to escape on. :P

No rescue mission needed on my part. I built up my attempts to land on the Mun in a very similar fashion to what the USA space program did with the Gemini program. I started off small and unmanned and I worked through the paces - trans-orbital maneuvers, landing, landing and return, and finally manned landings capable of return. By the time I actually landed a kerbal on the Mun, it was second nature.

No actually, I did much what NASA did when they landed on the moon- I left the main craft in orbit and just sent a module down to the surface and then re-intercepted it when I wanted to go homw. Only since it was my first time playing, it didn't work out as planned and i ran out of fuel and got stuck in orbit as the module drifted off into deep space.

Yea. Deep space.

My first mun missions were also in the old 0.13.3 demo. No EVA, No Persistence, so no chance of rescue. (Also no plugins, and I've never really gone for parts pack, so no mods at all).

My first one just flat crashed because I landed too hard. The subsequent several attempts tipped over due to bad steering on my part. They didn't NEED rescue, however: The rocket I sent them with was so massive and so overbuilt that the remaining, undamaged portion was enough to get them back to Kerbin, even after a horizontal takeoff due to landing on its side (yes, it's possible!)

Define "Landing". My first landing, my lander tumbled into pieces, but my single Kerbal survived and was able to exit the busted craft for a photo op (Screenshot). He then died a slow death on Mun. My next attempt made it, and returned.

I actually wanted my first moon landing to go badly so I could rescue the stranded Kerbals, but nope, everything went well and they were fine XD I leave that down to watching YouTubers playing KSP before I started playing lol. I caught on quickly! I'm a smartypants =P

Where is the option for "I didn't bother with a rescue mission; it was not necessary to recover a ship that timewarped into the Mun." (That still haunts me) :P

Oh, me too. I accidentally timewarped my ship into a reintercept with the Mun. They'd used up pretty much all their fuel, so they were sure to crash. Accidental timewarps fall under what i am permitted to quickload for though, and luckily i'd saved my last stable orbit.

Define "Landing". My first landing, my lander tumbled into pieces, but my single Kerbal survived and was able to exit the busted craft for a photo op (Screenshot). He then died a slow death on Mun. My next attempt made it, and returned.

Okay maybe i forgot a few options.

But most people here tend to try rescuing stranded Kerbals the legit way, as do i. From what i see, at least.

You mean, like, no save files? Only one flight and once you leave its gone?

That sounds... incredibly weird :P.

You must be new here.

*with grandpa voice* Back in my time the only kerbals were Bill, Jeb and Bob, you couldn't have multiple flights nor go in EVA, and you didn't even have landing gears, but you had to land on the wings. So, when you crashed, the only things you could do were push the "end flight" button and start over, or stay there and watch the landscape (and your fail). Oh, the good old days....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.