Dual monitor support

I feel like this would be planned. I mean, people have discussed it before and shown interest in being able to do this sort of thing. On top of that, multi-monitor setups aren't exactly rare anymore, so...I don't know, they've got to realize the potential need for this sort of thing.

At the same time, it'd probably be a low priority to get this type of thing up and running. They'll probably consider something like this quite a ways after career mode's more or less finished up.

This is an industry problem. I've been running dual monitors since they were CRT's!! :o Now, I run two 23" screen and one 34" screen. Most of my gaming is on the larger monitor, all of my software development is on the dual set-up. For gaming, the problem with adding dual monitor support is what do you do when you need to port it to a console?

Now I would love to have dual monitor support on KSP. Always having map view "on" would be just sooooooooo cool! Just worried about suggesting something the dev's would have to drop when the game goes console!

Fortunately for a game like this, it won't likely EVER be on a console. Probably.

Even so, you just disable multi-monitor support. Pretty sure there have been games to do this before...though I don't use two monitors so I wouldn't know of any examples off-hand.

And not to be pedantic......we're talking about different display items on different monitors, and not "monitor spanning".

Fortunately for a game like this, it won't likely EVER be on a console. Probably.

Hehehe......well I do keep telling my kids to stop wasting their time on consoles!! :D

Unity only support one render frame, so you cannot create 2 windows and make it fullscreen on both.. But would be cool if they could add it.

And I do not believe if KSP is ever going console.. but I'm sure they know #define UNITY_XBOX360 or #define UNITY_PS3

• 1 month later...

And would it be possible to enable extrawide resolutions (spanning over two screens) but a setting to chose where the center of view is (i.e., the rocket and center of the main UI)? I think we can do that in Eve Online, and it allows having the ship at the center of the main monitor like in single-monitor mode, but several windows gathered on the secondary monitor. It wouldn't be mapview, but dedicating a monitor for all those mod windows would be cool already, especially for orbit statistics windows that give information similar to that of the mapview.

Would it be tweakable by the mod community, or would it have to be officially supported by Squad?

It seems partly doable with Kerbcam (the center of view can be changed and I can place my ship at the center of one monitor despite the KSP window spanning the two monitors), however the mod is made so that the ship is passive when the camera settings are changed, you cannot control it nor control the view using regular mouse inputs. You have to disable the Kerbcam controls to move/control the vessel again. I am wondering whether this restriction could be removed, as I think it was a feature just to make "reset to default" automatic when controlling the vessel is needed, but I don't see any reason why it couldn't work if the camera change was permanent.

Edited by Korb Biakustra

Well this being the future (2013) and tablets are widely available I think it would be very useful to have a KSP app for Apple/Android devices that is your navigational display (or even multiple with smartphones included). this would be nice as your monitor would be cleared up for just seeing out the window and have all the staging, navigation and engine control done from your tablet.

This already exists for flight simulators with https://remoteflight.net/. Personally I think would make for some great integration and game usability. Could even start making your own cockpit simulator at home as some flight simulator enthusiasts do.

Thoughts?

Well this being the future (2013) and tablets are widely available I think it would be very useful to have a KSP app for Apple/Android devices that is your navigational display (or even multiple with smartphones included). this would be nice as your monitor would be cleared up for just seeing out the window and have all the staging, navigation and engine control done from your tablet.

This already exists for flight simulators with https://remoteflight.net/. Personally I think would make for some great integration and game usability. Could even start making your own cockpit simulator at home as some flight simulator enthusiasts do.

Thoughts?

That would be that I guess: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/41299-Custom-Control-Pad-Sneak-Peek-video

If anybody has some dev skills and can say if KerbCam mod could be slightly customized to recenter the ship on an ultrawide resolution spanning on two monitors, my almost-forever-lasting gratitude is available. :D

That would be that I guess: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/41299-Custom-Control-Pad-Sneak-Peek-video

If anybody has some dev skills and can say if KerbCam mod could be slightly customized to recenter the ship on an ultrawide resolution spanning on two monitors, my almost-forever-lasting gratitude is available. :D

I did not know this existed! so much awesomeness

• 2 weeks later...

Soo...

Unity has command line functions:

"-popupwindow" which opens unity programs without windowed boarders (ie, a windowed program looking fullscreen)..

"-screen-width" determines the window's width

"-screen-height" determines the window's height

mine looks like this:

"C:\...\KSP.exe" -popupwindow -screen-width 2960 -screen-height 1050

Starts off good...

EMIvb2r.jpg

and then..

fQcKKP2.jpg

Chances are my values are off and that I am doing it completely wrong, but there's sorta a proof of concept and hopefully someone with computer skills can figure this out for the community.

I see it going three different ways,

1) Stretch - stretching the screen like I showed above (which would probably result in bad graphics)

2) Table - create a script that displays KSP in "dimension"x"dimension" but runs the KSP default camera in XY portion of the screen

-This would basically create a full screen table with KSP running say on the left screen and mods like engineer on the right screen (dual monitor set-up)

-It would essentailly look like the second picture I posted but instead of seeing the desktop it would be all black space to drag mod displays over.

3) Camera - similar to Table but create a camera to display in relation to the main KSP camera so that the universe would be displayed in the background instead of black space

Just throwing out idea's, I constantly try to tackle creating mods/scripts/etc but have never been able to self teach proficient enough to create anything of quality.

My hat's off to all Modders :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there any new information on this?

Has ANYONE got dual monitors to work?

..I hate to bump an old thread I have already bumped before, but since 0.23 is around the corner I figured I'll see if my internet luck has changed.

If anyone can reply providing some insight I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks in advance,

Marcuzzi

• 3 weeks later...

Dual monitor should be almost mandatory for this simulation, look at how many screens were on the Space Shuttle! Having one screen in map view and the second screen in stage view would be soooo handy. With a laptop connected to a big screen on the wall it would be extremely Mission Control-ish

The whole "fly on one monitor, have map on the other" thing should be doable with some creative plugin work and a secondary application to handle whatever is intended to be on the secondary monitor. Granted it would be nowhere near as simple as that may make it sound but there are a number of ways such a thing could be done by a modder with time to kill. I've even seen it done using a client/sever setup over network so that the secondary display could be on an entirely different computer.

My feeling is that they should first work on enabling windows within a single monitor. For example, I want my main screen to be the regular view, and then I can pop up a map on 1/4 of the screen, resize, move, switch to, etc. You could also then have a "window" view of IVA. Once this is possible, you could obviously just drag and drop these across monitors in "windowed" mode. The big questions is if any of these is even possible. When switching to map mode my computer lags a little, so I'm guessing quite a bit of processing power is required for map mode, or an extra IVA window or something.

• 3 months later...

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but I would agree that multiple monitor support needs to be native. Being able to dedicate one monitor to map mode, and as many as you want to normal view. I myself imagine 3 monitors for normal play + 1 for map view.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.