List of places and biomes in KSP (planetary geology & geography) - UPDATING FOR v1.0.x.

lajoswinkler

I downloaded ScanSat this morning. Though I'm not sure it's working as it should, here are the Kerbin Mun biome/ anomaly maps. Lajos asked me to post them here.

B2F2B120DAC25B1E91FB204445D19452666F4ACD

When I click to zoom in on the biomes around KSC, I only see a single biome.

9A73898C49F9ABB05EF88FE1FED4E5669A59589A

Clickables for enbiggenating:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=359231297

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=359298187

Edited by Aethon

You're looking for the KSC biomes on the SCANsat map? Aside from the fact that this would require a special case to handle it wouldn't really make any sense. There are 30 or so of these that would be packed into a single pixel on the map at all but extremely zoomed in views. Even at very high zoom levels each KSC biome would only occupy 1 or 2 pixels, making it difficult to actually correlate the positions with the actual buildings on the ground.

If you just want to identify the buildings you can use the BTDT scanner at close range and cycle through each structure. The name of the structure generally matches the name of the KSC biome, I think.

I also am kind of disappointed by Duna's 5 biomes. Duna is such an important destination, usually the first interplanetary mission, and the number of biomes on a planet sets the scientific value of it, and serves to make missions there more interesting for the player with multiple expeditions and/or landings to max out science. And it is not like there isn't any geography to speak of. There are several mountains, hilly areas, plains, valleys, areas with darker and lighter terrain and Easter eggs. And if you don't like those or think they are differentiated enough, you can just give them place names like Lathe's Sagen Sea or Eve's Explodium Sea. I actally like that idea a lot, it would be nice to have more interesting names than, say, 4 different kinds of flats. I just don't know why Duna got shortchanged like that..

I also am kind of disappointed by Duna's 5 biomes. Duna is such an important destination, usually the first interplanetary mission, and the number of biomes on a planet sets the scientific value of it, and serves to make missions there more interesting for the player with multiple expeditions and/or landings to max out science. And it is not like there isn't any geography to speak of. There are several mountains, hilly areas, plains, valleys, areas with darker and lighter terrain and Easter eggs. And if you don't like those or think they are differentiated enough, you can just give them place names like Lathe's Sagen Sea or Eve's Explodium Sea. I actally like that idea a lot, it would be nice to have more interesting names than, say, 4 different kinds of flats. I just don't know why Duna got shortchanged like that..

I would love the ability to change a biomes name maybe once ive visited it or explored it in some way.

Yellow Dart:

The flipside of that is, what if you don't like the name the (stock) game gives a feature? Better to keep things as general as possible, IMO.

I honestly don't really care too much what the name is, that was just an idea if the devs/tanuki just couldn't think of more biomes for Duna. I just want there to be more biomes on Duna, at least as many as Minmus, I would say, certainly as many as or more than Ike, its moon. It disappoints me, especially since we, as humans, are supposed to be getting pumped ("boarding a long term hype-train") for a manned mission to Mars in the next 15-20 years.

Does anyone know where the craters biome is on duna?

Maybe I'm stupid in some way but i can't find it.

i have tried with scansat, mechjeb and even google but so far no luck. All i find is highlands, midlands ,lowlands and poles.

Any help appreciated.

Does anyone know where the craters biome is on duna?

Maybe I'm stupid in some way but i can't find it.

i have tried with scansat, mechjeb and even google but so far no luck. All i find is highlands, midlands ,lowlands and poles.

Any help appreciated.

I found the craters biome via the biome cheat and mechjeb autolander, they are quite small biomes.

Eve's oceans are made of a element called explodium. Interesting, tanuki.

That and the Sagen (Oxygen -> OxSAGEN) sea on Laythe may be references to some of the resource that will come with the stock resource system. Either that or a Carl Sagan reference, or both.

It makes sense why they added biomes everywhere now, since they could use those for a resource generation system.

I am a bit disappointed laythe's volcanic mountains are not a separate biome.

• 3 weeks later...
That and the Sagen (Oxygen -> OxSAGEN) sea on Laythe may be references to some of the resource that will come with the stock resource system. Either that or a Carl Sagan reference, or both.

It makes sense why they added biomes everywhere now, since they could use those for a resource generation system.

I am a bit disappointed laythe's volcanic mountains are not a separate biome.

Who says I'm not allowed to draw a rough sketch before I add finer detail ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Eve's oceans are made of a element called explodium. Interesting, tanuki.

I never said it was made of explodium. They just named the ocean explodium. It could very well be that they assume anything that close to Eve sea level would implode from pressure. But I liked the sound of explodium better. Or it could be what you said. Who knows...wait I kind of do....darn there goes that whole element of mystery.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't worry. That's all I can say.

The OP should be updated with what was found since December 25th.

Trying to get information, one has to scan the entire thread (a good read, but longer)

There is an up-to-date list of all the biomes here (except for Kerbin location biomes)

Agreed. If you need/want information OP drop me a message and I'll be happy to help.

That would be great

There is an up-to-date list of all the biomes here (except for Kerbin location biomes)

That would be great

Oki Doki. I'm not sure what you have or need but Let me know. Also I'll make sure to send you any updates to said info as well when needed. Should make your job a bit easier :)

• 2 weeks later...

RE: Tylo's Major Craters

I've just done gravimeter readings in space high and found that the three major craters won't give different results; after transmitting a result from one of them, scans over the others have the near-zero transmit value of a repeat experiment. Also, if you want to store the results in a pod, it can hold only one scan from over a Major Crater; later scans over the other Major Craters appear to be duplicates. So for scientific purposes, the three Major Craters seem to be one and the same biome.

• 2 months later...

Not sure if this is the best place for this (maybe I should file a bug report?) but I can't find any reference to it in the forums.

There's another VAB biome not listed here - VABSouthComplex. As far as I can tell it's only in Level 2 of the VAB. It's the three buildings just south of the VAB; nothing is built there in Level 1 and in Level 3 it's an extension of VABMainBuilding. In Level 2, though, it's clear as day. persistent.sfs even has

SpaceCenter/VehicleAssemblyBuilding/Facility/SouthComplex
{
intact = true
}

zcQt61g.png

Edited by amorymeltzer
dedupe

For the upper limit for high atmosphere definitions it's always where the atmosphere ends; for Eve this is 96.7km, for Duna it is 41.4km, and for Laythe it is 55.2km.

Also, the border between upper and lower atmosphere on Laythe is around 10.2km, and for Duna it's roughly 11.7km.

Eeloo's high/low space border is definitely 60km; and there is a typo on Jool's Low Space lower limit, it needing to be 138km, not 118km.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.