[Airships in 1.12.3] HooliganLabs Mods

JewelShisen

On 10/19/2013 at 8:34 AM, JewelShisen said:

<snip>

HL Subs will allow you to begin exploring the depths of the oceans, or at least until you hit 600m. So go out there and make that model of Atlantis! (Just share pictures!)

I've tested it, you can reach the ocean floor if you want to now, 900m+

I love you guys :D.

This was one of my absolute favorite mods. This combined with some sort of electric propeller was such a fun way to manage colonies on duna / eve / laythe. And now I've got it again, with things like MKS which I never had with airships before :). So thanks a pile for bringing it back.

Now I wonder where the airship from the screenshot earlier was from. New part?

56 minutes ago, Immashift said:

I love you guys :D.

This was one of my absolute favorite mods. This combined with some sort of electric propeller was such a fun way to manage colonies on duna / eve / laythe. And now I've got it again, with things like MKS which I never had with airships before :). So thanks a pile for bringing it back.

Now I wonder where the airship from the screenshot earlier was from. New part?

Actually it is a part that spanner made but it is not ready to go out yet.

35 minutes ago, JewelShisen said:

Actually it is a part that spanner made but it is not ready to go out yet.

Hmm. Wonder if it'll get released eventually. I love my little ones that putter around my bases but I've kinda been wishing for a really big blimp type one I can use for heavy loads and large distances.

Procedural envelopes? Maybe I'm too hopeful :P

29 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Since the Venus cloud base thread, I've wanted to try "landing" a buoyant base in Eve's upper atmosphere and shuttling crew to/from it. Is this the right mod to try for that?

I've actually wanted to do this too. If not a persistent base then some sort of vessel that can harvest gas as it flies through the atmosphere. Like if aerobraking at Jool could fill my Hydrogen tanks...

I think one of the guys that necro'd this mod mentioned something about implementing a way for airships to hold position without being piloted and without despawning. If this happens, then I'm gonna have an extraplanetary launchpads upper atmosphere blimp :D

10 minutes ago, JewelShisen said:

Actually I am already planning to make a mega sized one. Just have to relearn model making for Unity 5

Please do! Anything that big would be great for my purposes. Although I suppose getting it places would be difficult if it were fixed.

Edited by Immashift

1 minute ago, Immashift said:

Hmm. Wonder if it'll get released eventually. I love my little ones that putter around my bases but I've kinda been wishing for a really big blimp type one I can use for heavy loads and large distances.

Procedural envelopes? Maybe I'm too hopeful :P

Actually I am already planning to make a mega sized one. Just have to relearn model making for Unity 5

31 minutes ago, JewelShisen said:

Could procedural envelopes be done as part of Procedural Parts? Restrict to part shapes with curved edges, scale mass with surface area, and apply the airships module to any part with the custom material?

8 minutes ago, colmo said:

Could procedural envelopes be done as part of Procedural Parts? Restrict to part shapes with curved edges, scale mass with surface area, and apply the airships module to any part with the custom material?

Maybe but I would need to standardize the lift factors for that so they can be easily scaled up or down

Ok so just had a feature idea and want to see what you all think. 

The idea is for a tab in the VAB/SPH that will check your vessel mass vs airship max lift for kerbin to tell you if you can actually get off the ground or not, and perhaps even how much mass you need to lose to be able to get airborne. What do you all think?

21 minutes ago, JewelShisen said:

Ok so just had a feature idea and want to see what you all think. 

The idea is for a tab in the VAB/SPH that will check your vessel mass vs airship max lift for kerbin to tell you if you can actually get off the ground or not, and perhaps even how much mass you need to lose to be able to get airborne. What do you all think?

I would love such a feature. Especially if it were to also work for other bodies, especially those added by other mods (Kopernicus). Letting me see buoyancy and lift factors for a select-able body would be great. Maybe even max altitude before zero lift too?

Edited by Immashift

Just a simple vessel mass vs possible possative bouyancy would go a LONG way, really all I would need for a building UI.

Glad to see HL alive and well. This was one of the first few mods I got into in KSP...back when it was just the 2 deployables and one rigid envelope. Was SO happy to see this pop up on front page the otherday updated.

Edited by KhaosCorp

2 minutes ago, Immashift said:

I would love such a feature. Especially if it were to also work for other bodies, especially those added by other mods (Kopernicus). Letting me see buoyancy and lift factors for a select-able body would be great. Maybe even max altitude before zero lift too?

I would LOVE to have this work for any planet with an atmosphere. The idea I had is that it would output like this

Planet - Can get airborne? - Mass you need to drop/Extra mass you could pick up before hitting neutral.

3 minutes ago, KhaosCorp said:

Just a simple vessel mass vs possible possative bouyancy would go a LONG way, really all I would need for a building UI.

Glad to see HL alive and well. This was one of the first few mods I got into in KSP...back when it was just the 2 deployables and one rigid envelope. Was SO happy to see this pop up on front page the otherday updated.

I'd like it to be able to display for at least the main game planets. After all I have made ships on Kerbin that had to fight to stay airborne on Duna.

3 minutes ago, JewelShisen said:

I would LOVE to have this work for any planet with an atmosphere. The idea I had is that it would output like this

Planet - Can get airborne? - Mass you need to drop/Extra mass you could pick up before hitting neutral.

That sounds good already. I'd also enjoy knowing exactly HOW buoyant a craft is. Sort of a TWR if you will for airships. I'm not sure if there's a standard unit of measure for that.

Also, lol parachute physics? :D

Edited by Immashift

1 minute ago, Immashift said:

That sounds good already. I'd also enjoy knowing exactly HOW buoyant a craft is. Sort of a TWR if you will for airships.

Also, lol parachute physics? :D

Yea I have NO idea what is going on there... That's just weird... Could be a side effect of the animations. I haven't touched them at all and they were done all the way back in at least 0.25 so they might just be a hazard.

9 minutes ago, JewelShisen said:

Yea I have NO idea what is going on there... That's just weird... Could be a side effect of the animations. I haven't touched them at all and they were done all the way back in at least 0.25 so they might just be a hazard.

Watching it at .25x, it appears that the envelope attempts to point the craft down when velocity becomes negative, and because the pod+battery is light, it flips a bunch of times, then breaks due to being spun around so fast, flinging the pod into the air. It's amusing to watch :P I'm not worried about it affecting my large vessels.

Just now, Immashift said:

Watching it at .25x, it appears that the envelope attempts to point the craft down when velocity becomes negative, and because the pod+battery is light, it flips a bunch of times, then breaks due to being spun around so fast, flinging the pod into the air. It's amusing to watch :P I'm not worried about it affecting my large vessels.

If that is the case you may want to try it again with a heavy mass and let me know if it does it again. If so then the animation may be to blame.

So freakin glad this mod is alive. Two questions:

1) Has an air-park-like thing been implemented yet to let one save a vessel once it reaches and holds 0 m/s velocity in atmosphere?
~and~
2) Do you plan on adding this to CKAN? I run most of my mods through that.

That being said, like several of the others, I want to make a Venus cloud base as well. This would absolutely rock.

4 minutes ago, Gnoyze said:

So freakin glad this mod is alive. Two questions:

1) Has an air-park-like thing been implemented yet to let one save a vessel once it reaches and holds 0 m/s velocity in atmosphere?
~and~
2) Do you plan on adding this to CKAN? I run most of my mods through that.

That being said, like several of the others, I want to make a Venus cloud base as well. This would absolutely rock.

1) As far as I know there isn't a way to fake the landing. There MIGHT be a way but I haven't seen it.

2) Currently I am looking into it. I may or may not add it to CKAN.

1 minute ago, JewelShisen said:

1) As far as I know there isn't a way to fake the landing. There MIGHT be a way but I haven't seen it.

2) Currently I am looking into it. I may or may not add it to CKAN.

1) from my understanding of how they changed oceans, oceans now function simmilar to atmospheres, just a whole lot denser. Maybe by tweaking the requirements for a splashed down vessel, you can make it so that a vessel floating in atmo at 0 m/s will trick the game into thinking it's "landed"? Maybe try to contact Squad about it as Airships will be in the real world space program soon.

2) Ah, either way I'm gonna get this mod.

Alright so here is what I am working on at the moment. A MASSIVE 15m diameter modular airship that will come complete with an attaching part under it sized for Mk 2 parts to serve as the viewing decks.

Awesome! the parts are back!

*Goes off to build flying science airship*

PS: Can we have some weather balloons? I want to make something akin to the Breitling Orbiter, a small gondola under a huge weather balloon. However, I just realised none of the balloons have that particular shape- we have Zeppelin shaped ones, weird-mushroom-thing shaped ones, and that-tower-in-London shaped ones, but no weather-balloon shaped ones. 

What I would like is a combination of KerBalloon's weather balloon models, and HLabs lift control, if it is possible.

Edited by Rory Yammomoto

Alright so I just added an image album to the front post and I want YOUR help to fill it out! Just send your best airship screenshots to me and I will add them to the album so everybody can see the crazy stuff this mod can make!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.