[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

Care to share your config ? I always found reentry to be way too easy but never managed to get an acceptable config.

Sure thing. In the DR folder open custom.cfg and change those lines:

@shockwaveMultiplier = 1.05

@temperatureExponent = 1.05

This way command pods WILL be destroyed without ablative shielding, but a kerbin re-entry won't deplete it all.

Mind you i never tried landing on Eve with this config, and if you use the KSO it tends to make the landing gear burn. Didn't try with the last version though.

I just ran into a little 'issue' using DR and the ARM update... I set up a puller tugboat and the heat from the 2 nuke engines exploded my E-class asteroid :\ Other than that little detail, works great!

gtmattz: Given that asteroids are not-that-many-tons, I find that reasonable. However, if it really bothers people I'll add an option to turn it off.

v4.6 = \/

*Made AblativeShielding tweakable.

*Added fix from HoneyFox to detect shielded parts the way FAR does (REQUIRES FAR)

*Added version checking (per Majiir's template)

*Recompiled for 0.23.5

It seems mystery goo canisters make perfect heatshields. I had some on the top of a craft that was supposed to re-enter backwards. However it flipped around during re-entry (why are the canisters 0.1 drag coef squad?) and ended up going forwards with the canisters taking all the heat.... except their temperature stayed negative and nothing on my ship got destroyed.

Attached the craft file here. Just launch it straight up and watch the temp during re-entry.

Edited by futrtrubl

It seems mystery goo canisters make perfect heatshields. I had some on the top of a craft that was supposed to re-enter backwards. However it flipped around during re-entry (why are the canisters 0.1 drag coef squad?) and ended up going forwards with the canisters taking all the heat.... except their temperature stayed negative and nothing on my ship got destroyed.

Attached the craft file here. Just launch it straight up and watch the temp during re-entry.

I think some parts, if they intersect each other just right treat each other as shielded. Since each part thinks it's shielded, neither takes damage....

To clarify: does this mean that DR now requires FAR to be installed to function?

No, it does not.

It means that you need FAR to accurately detect if parts inside of a fairing are shielded. Otherwise it relies on raycasting like any other part.

The problem with raycasting is that sometimes it misses the fairing. At certain orientations the ray fails to collide with the fairing.

And that might (might) only apply to procedural fairings and not static parts like KWR's fairing. I think the collision body on the procedural part doesn't cover the whole thing? Or doesn't scale properly? Not really sure, just know that I had a devil of a time trying to use PF fairings as a Mars reentry aeroshell.

No, it does not.

It means that you need FAR to accurately detect if parts inside of a fairing are shielded. Otherwise it relies on raycasting like any other part.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the info!

And yup, I realize there are a number of issues with a raycasting system for this kind of thing, and also know there was talk of switching over to a system more akin to what's used in FAR for determining which parts are shielded in general. Was wondering if this was that change or another :)

Sure thing. In the DR folder open custom.cfg and change those lines:

@shockwaveMultiplier = 1.05

@temperatureExponent = 1.05

This way command pods WILL be destroyed without ablative shielding, but a kerbin re-entry won't deplete it all.

Mind you i never tried landing on Eve with this config, and if you use the KSO it tends to make the landing gear burn. Didn't try with the last version though.

Thanks ! I'll give that a try with the latest version and let you know how that goes !

I think some parts, if they intersect each other just right treat each other as shielded. Since each part thinks it's shielded, neither takes damage....

I've noticed this behavior too, its especially prevalent if you have parts that clip inside each other.

Glad the FAR implementation has finally been released. Itching on trying it out now!

I think the collision body on the procedural part doesn't cover the whole thing? Or doesn't scale properly? Not really sure, just know that I had a devil of a time trying to use PF fairings as a Mars reentry aeroshell.

I don't think that's the problem, the collision mesh is definitely scaled with fairings, as can be seen when they bounce off a craft and such.

Hello, I am having issues with this mod. First I was re-entering Kerbin and my periapsis was about 28,000m. I angled the MK1 module so it's butt was pointing retrograde but I exploded at about 34,000m during the descent. The next thing that happened was a rocket I was ascending started exploding. First the parachute exploded ... then some wings. Luckily I was taking video so here is the screenshot. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

NBbRS5E.jpg

Hello, I am having issues with this mod. First I was re-entering Kerbin and my periapsis was about 28,000m. I angled the MK1 module so it's butt was pointing retrograde but I exploded at about 34,000m during the descent. The next thing that happened was a rocket I was ascending started exploding. First the parachute exploded ... then some wings. Luckily I was taking video so here is the screenshot. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

For the re-entry, you're probably entering a bit too low. Do you know how much AblativeMaterial / G-force / etc. you had just before you blew up?

For the launch, you're going WAY, WAY too fast. 850 m/s at 22 km is producing almost 1 G of drag on your rocket. Even without DRE, that would mean you're wasting most of your fuel trying to plow through the headwind. With DRE, drag = heating.

Throttle down (or, better yet, replace) your engines so that your TWR is no more than 2, and you'll stay at reasonable speeds until you're past the worst of the atmosphere.

Edited by Starstrider42
Clarified wording

For the re-entry, you're probably entering a bit too low. Do you know how much AblativeMaterial / G-force / etc. you had just before you blew up?

For the launch, you're going WAY, WAY too fast. 850 m/s at 22 km is producing almost 1 G of drag on your rocket. Even without DRE, that would mean you're wasting most of your fuel trying to plow through the headwind. With DRE, drag = heating.

Throttle down (or, better yet, replace) your engines so that your TWR is no more than 2, and you'll stay at reasonable speeds until you're past the worst of the atmosphere.

I was under the impression you were supposed to keep your atmospheric efficiency at 100% ....

So after updating everything today I was really bummbed out to see the flashing effects and skipping sound remained through the version change. Ive tried all kinds of variants in my graphical settings both in game and through Nvidia control panel. To this day this is the best I can come up with. A stock install with just the DeadlyRentry folder and MM1_5_7.dll in Gamedata.

The effect is much worse in game. Fraps has a hard time capturing it.

KSP Log.

Output Log.

And again there's nothing out of the ordinary with my setup.. I run the game at 1080, 60hz,.. just as anyone else. My pc is a gtx670/i7 so my hardware is up to date Is there anyone else who has this glitchy effect? Im having a hard time figuring out what I could possibly be doing different.

Edited by Motokid600

I was under the impression you were supposed to keep your atmospheric efficiency at 100% ....

There are two major considerations regarding speed on liftoff and orbital insertion. The first is gravity losses, and the second is drag losses. Go too slowly, and you're losing more energy than necessary to gravity by staying low so long. Go too fast, and as was mentioned, you waste energy trying to push through drag. DRE doesn't actually directly effect these considerations, other than really punishing you for going way, way too fast.

If you install something like Flight Engineer Redux or MechJeb, you'll be able to see a readout of your gravity and drag losses. The key is to push the rocket only fast enough that your drag losses aren't greater than your gravity losses, balancing the two more-or-less evenly. MechJeb will do that automagically if you use the ascent computer.