Most important lesson you've learned in KSP?

Tassyr

Don't turn on RCS on a space station with random RCS equipped vehicles attached to it... at least that's what I think I did to get my space station oscillating wildly.

At least I think that's what started it.

KerbalSpaceStation4.png

If someone can see what else I did wrong then that's the lesson I will have learned :-P

HAHAHAHAHA! Oh Kerbol's light YES! I cannot count how many probes have gone on ballistic trajectories for not following this rule :D

Even then following the rule you are not safe. I sent an rover on a test run to Mun, it was a probe rover build around an small fuel tank and a 48-7S so an drop tank took it from LKO to Mun.

Now on an rover you only add solar panels on the top, as I was burning toward the full Mun they was in the shadow and out of power then I wanted to do an correction burn. It was on impact trajectory.

Another manned mission had a solar eclipse all the way to Mun a minute of sun light before I went into Mun shadow, as it was manned I was able to burn and got into high orbit.

Yea, adding some supports between there would of been a good idea. I was able to get it under control though... It's kind of cheap but I restarted the game and it got rid of the oscillations. Now I'll always have the shame of cheating, but I couldn't sit there and watch my station rip itself apart :-/

You can never have enough parachutes...BUT you can have too many of them mounted to the wrong equipment.

Always mount at least some of your parachutes directly to the lander can...lest you land your reuseable fuel tanks and engines safely in the crater made by your return capsule. I may have done this a time or six.

I'm going to rank them.

- You don't go to the moon by going straight up.

- You don't automatically enter orbit after launch

- How to correctly perform mathematical equations for interplanetary missions (Which has helped me send probes/manned ships to Eve and Duna and Jool)

- Mar-Duna, *cough* has low air pressure.

And, for some reason.

It's easier to go to Eve/Duna once you've gotten used to the equation/calculators/nodes, because you don't have to use retrorockets (Exactly why I nolonger bother visiting bodies without a atmosphere)

Build redundant systems, like RTGs and Solar panels. Wings and Parachutes. Landing Legs, and Plane Gear. Because you never know when the second system you thought was just extra weight and had no necessary applications, saves your ship, and or crew from total destruction.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.