[1.3] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.3.3 7/24/17

ferram4

I am having to press "stage" for every radial engine jettison, yes....is this a KJR issue!?

WHen I move the KJR folder out of the GameData folder, staging is functioning as normal. So: yes, I believe so.

Then I'll need full reproduction steps and logs, using only KJR and stock parts; no other mods that can complicate it. Without that information, I can't find the issue, because I have never seen this behavior.

Then I'll need full reproduction steps and logs, using only KJR and stock parts; no other mods that can complicate it. Without that information, I can't find the issue, because I have never seen this behavior.

@ferram4: I'm pretty sure the issue is related to some conflict with a mod(probably procedural parts or the like). I have been unable to reproduce it in stock with only KJR, or with mods without KJR. Thus my conclusion of a conflict between plugins. It only happens above a certain part number(around 50, but I don't really have time to test it right now). I doubt the issue is with KJR itself though, the problem is probably due to some other mod updating thus causing the issue.

I'll do some tests next week to see if I can't find the conflicting mods or at least narrow it down. But I doubt you would have to fix anything.

@ferram4: I'm pretty sure the issue is related to some conflict with a mod(probably procedural parts or the like). I have been unable to reproduce it in stock with only KJR, or with mods without KJR. Thus my conclusion of a conflict between plugins. It only happens above a certain part number(around 50, but I don't really have time to test it right now). I doubt the issue is with KJR itself though, the problem is probably due to some other mod updating thus causing the issue.

I'll do some tests next week to see if I can't find the conflicting mods or at least narrow it down. But I doubt you would have to fix anything.

Yeah I just ran KSP without KJR and still experienced the issue. Nothing to see here ferram!

This pops up in the log only when I have this problem

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at KerbalJointReinforcement.KerbalJointReinforcement. UpdatePartJoint (.Part p) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerbalJointReinforcement.KerbalJointReinforcement. RunVesselJointUpdateFunction (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerbalJointReinforcement.KerbalJointReinforcement. OnVesselWasModified (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.decouple (Single breakForce) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ModuleAnchoredDecoupler.OnDecouple () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ModuleAnchoredDecoupler.OnActive () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.ModulesOnActivate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.activate (Int32 currentStage, .Vessel activeVessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Staging.activateStage (Int32 stage) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Staging.activateNextStage () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Staging.ActivateNextStage () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at FlightInputHandler.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 "

Edited by JT2227

This pops up in the log only when I have this problem

at KerbalJointReinforcement.KerbalJointReinforcement. UpdatePartJoint (.Part p) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerbalJointReinforcement.KerbalJointReinforcement. RunVesselJointUpdateFunction (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerbalJointReinforcement.KerbalJointReinforcement. OnVesselWasModified (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ModuleAnchoredDecoupler.OnDecouple () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ModuleAnchoredDecoupler.OnActive () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.activate (Int32 currentStage, .Vessel activeVessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at FlightInputHandler.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 "

Spoiler alert: He's almost certainly going to want the entire output_log.txt file. I know I would. Put it on dropbox and then post the link here. If you don't have a dropbox account then you should go get one right now.

This staging issue is one of the weirdest I've come across.

In my case I had this problem and fixed it by updating the stock bugfix modules, but for many people that either doesn't apply or doesn't help.

And I'm running Kerbquake and kerbal joint reinforcement, two mods that so far have been associated with this staging bug :confused:

In this thread we are having the same problem, I think.

I zipped the error folder generated.

KSP Version: 0.25.0

Installed Modules:

V AJE 1.6.4

V CameraTools 1.2

V ConnectedLivingSpace 1.0.11.0

V CrossFeedEnabler v3.1

V CustomBiomes 1.6.8

V CustomBiomes-Data-RSS v8.3

V DDSLoader 1.7.0.0

V DeadlyReentry v6.2.1

V EngineIgnitor-Unofficial-Repack 3.4.1.1

V FerramAerospaceResearch v0.14.4

? FShangarExtender 2.0

V HotRockets 7.25

V KerbalJointReinforcement v2.4.4

V LazTekSpaceXExploration-HD 2.1a

V LazTekSpaceXHistoric-HD 1.1a

V LazTekSpaceXLaunch-HD 3.1a

V MechJeb2 2.4.0

V ModuleFixer 3

V ModuleManager 2.5.1

V ModuleRCSFX v3.3

V NBody 0.0

V PartCatalog 3.0_RC8

V PlanetShine 0.2.2

V ProceduralDynamics 0.9.1

V ProceduralFairings v3.10

V ProceduralParts v0.9.20

V RealChute 1.2.6

V RealEffects 1.0

V RealFuels rf-v8.1

V RealismOverhaul v7.0.2

V RealSolarSystem v8.3

V RemoteTech v1.5.1

V RemoteTech-Config-RSS 0.0

V RSSTextures8192 1.0

V SelectRoot 1.0

V SmokeScreen 2.5.0

V TACLS v0.10.1

V TACLS-Config-RealismOverhaul v7.0.2

↑ TextureReplacer 2.0.1

V Toolbar 1.7.7

V Trajectories v1.0.0

V TweakScale v1.47

Legend: V - Up to date. ? - Incompatible. ↑ - Upgradable. ? - Unknown

I hope it helps.

In this thread we are having the same problem, I think.

I zipped the error folder generated.

KSP Version: 0.25.0

Installed Modules:

V AJE 1.6.4

V CameraTools 1.2

V ConnectedLivingSpace 1.0.11.0

V CrossFeedEnabler v3.1

V CustomBiomes 1.6.8

V CustomBiomes-Data-RSS v8.3

V DDSLoader 1.7.0.0

V DeadlyReentry v6.2.1

V EngineIgnitor-Unofficial-Repack 3.4.1.1

V FerramAerospaceResearch v0.14.4

? FShangarExtender 2.0

V HotRockets 7.25

V KerbalJointReinforcement v2.4.4

V LazTekSpaceXExploration-HD 2.1a

V LazTekSpaceXHistoric-HD 1.1a

V LazTekSpaceXLaunch-HD 3.1a

V MechJeb2 2.4.0

V ModuleFixer 3

V ModuleManager 2.5.1

V ModuleRCSFX v3.3

V NBody 0.0

V PartCatalog 3.0_RC8

V PlanetShine 0.2.2

V ProceduralDynamics 0.9.1

V ProceduralFairings v3.10

V ProceduralParts v0.9.20

V RealChute 1.2.6

V RealEffects 1.0

V RealFuels rf-v8.1

V RealismOverhaul v7.0.2

V RealSolarSystem v8.3

V RemoteTech v1.5.1

V RemoteTech-Config-RSS 0.0

V RSSTextures8192 1.0

V SelectRoot 1.0

V SmokeScreen 2.5.0

V TACLS v0.10.1

V TACLS-Config-RealismOverhaul v7.0.2

↑ TextureReplacer 2.0.1

V Toolbar 1.7.7

V Trajectories v1.0.0

V TweakScale v1.47

Legend: V - Up to date. ? - Incompatible. ↑ - Upgradable. ? - Unknown

I hope it helps.

It does help the cause! Thank you, I was able to find the same lines of code in your output log than in all of the bugs in my thread about this, and from this. It seems to not happen in Stock KSP, but with a few certain mods, this happens... This could be a game issue that is coming up due to the mods.... either way it is a very bad bug!

at KerbalJointReinforcement.KerbalJointReinforcement.UpdatePartJoint (.Part p) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerbalJointReinforcement.KerbalJointReinforcement.RunVesselJointUpdateFunction (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerbalJointReinforcement.KerbalJointReinforcement.OnVesselWasModified (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at LaunchClamp.Release () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at LaunchClamp.OnActive () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at FlightInputHandler.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

It does help the cause! Thank you, I was able to find the same lines of code in your output log than in all of the bugs in my thread about this, and from this. It seems to not happen in Stock KSP, but with a few certain mods, this happens... This could be a game issue that is coming up due to the mods.... either way it is a very bad bug!

at KerbalJointReinforcement.KerbalJointReinforcement.UpdatePartJoint (.Part p) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerbalJointReinforcement.KerbalJointReinforcement.RunVesselJointUpdateFunction (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerbalJointReinforcement.KerbalJointReinforcement.OnVesselWasModified (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at LaunchClamp.Release () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at LaunchClamp.OnActive () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at FlightInputHandler.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Actually, the base cause is either Unity's event system or KSP's implementation of it. Null references in events are common place. Every modder needs to assume that an event they've tied into will be called multiple times with invalid data for each valid event firing*. Either the EventData parameters need to be checked for nullrefs or the entire thing encapsulated in try/catch. I used to think the error itself was ignored on event calls but that's not the case. Such errors can have cascading effects by breaking further code execution in the method responsible for firing the event.

* i.e. when Part.decouple fired the OnVesselWasModified event, it spawned one event with valid Vessel data alongside of multiple event calls with a null reference for Vessel.

Hmmm, I'm running the RSS 10x Kerbin(v 1.2.1) mod, not having any issues here. Out of the ones you listed, I'm also using:

CrossFeedEnabler v3.1

DeadlyReentry v6.2.1 (the beta 6.3.2 and RSS just don't mix...)

FerramAerospaceResearch v0.14.4

KerbalJointReinforcement v2.4.4

ModuleManager 2.5.1

PartCatalog 3.0_RC8

ProceduralDynamics 0.9.1

ProceduralFairings v3.10

RealChute 1.2.6

RealSolarSystem v8.2.1

RemoteTech v1.5.1

RemoteTech-Config-RSS

TACLS v0.10.1.13

TACLS-Config-RealismOverhaul

Toolbar 1.7.7

TweakScale v1.44 - (1.45-1.47 has some serious bugs in it, I would suggest downgrading until they are fixed)

That might help you to narrow down which mod is causing it, sounds like a real pain considering the size of the rockets necessary to put a heavy payload into orbit in RSS.

Is there any way to modify the values in the config file to make all joints indestructibly strong? So rigid that they do not wobble or wiggle AT ALL? I realize this is a bit unrealistic, but for testing purposes it would come in handy.

What values do I need to edit to accomplish this?

Is there any way to modify the values in the config file to make all joints indestructibly strong? So rigid that they do not wobble or wiggle AT ALL? I realize this is a bit unrealistic, but for testing purposes it would come in handy.

What values do I need to edit to accomplish this?

Actually I've been having some luck with dephysicalizing all decouplers. It occurred to me that having them as physical objects doesn't contribute significantly to the game at all. They stay attached to jettisoned tanks and are typically never seen again so why bother? My KWR rockets are rigid now without resorting to a metric **** ton of struts instead of looking like an experiment in ragdoll physics.

(non sequitur but did you know that it is illegal in Germany for FPS games to incorporate ragdoll physics into corpses? True story. Crytek had to disable corpse ragdoll physics in its Cryengine based games because it was the law)

Actually I've been having some luck with dephysicalizing all decouplers

My KWR rockets are rigid now without resorting to a metric **** ton of struts instead of looking like an experiment in ragdoll physics.

How do you dephysicalize decpupler?

Why are struts so weak in Realism Overhau? They should be stronger: I never saw real spacecraft full of external struts.

I don't like Unity engine. At all. It's good for tablet and casual games, not for sandboxes :-\

Find me a physics engine that handles connections between rigid bodies where one is 100 times the mass of the other, and then we'll talk about what physics engines are good and what aren't.

Also, struts were made a lot more flexible from 0.23.5 on. It was apparently necessary to keep things from breaking on load, so now struts are not as useful as they once were.

How do you dephysicalize decpupler?

Why are struts so weak in Realism Overhau? They should be stronger: I never saw real spacecraft full of external struts.

I don't like Unity engine. At all. It's good for tablet and casual games, not for sandboxes :-\

PhysicsSignificance = 1

You could make a ModuleManager patch that blanket adds it to anything with ModuleDecouple but that might well catch something it doesn't need to. The only place I really feel the need to use (large decouplers w/ low mass) it is the KWR parts so I do this:

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDecouple]]:HAS[#manufacturer[KW*Rocketry]]:FINAL
{
%PhysicsSignificance = 1
}

Also added it to my docking ports.

PhysicsSignificance = 1

You could make a ModuleManager patch that blanket adds it to anything with ModuleDecouple but that might well catch something it doesn't need to. The only place I really feel the need to use (large decouplers w/ low mass) it is the KWR parts so I do this:

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDecouple]]:HAS[#manufacturer[KW*Rocketry]]:FINAL
{
%PhysicsSignificance = 1
}

Also added it to my docking ports.

As far as I can see, this does nothing. Setting a part to have "PhysicsSignificance = 1" does not seem to make it more stable at all.

There has to be some way of making joints 100% rigid... and if there isn't, there should be.

If only we'd have a choice in materials. Titanium vs aluminum. Joint strength no longer based on mass or volume - when I was trying to build things extra small, I got the sloppiest joints in the universe. You can't compare a crankshaft with an aluminum fuel tank, no matter what mass or volume. Oops, we're using KSP - you're out of luck.

As far as I can see, this does nothing. Setting a part to have "PhysicsSignificance = 1" does not seem to make it more stable at all.

Worked for me. But then I was doing it to address a specific problem area in my large rockets with certain lightweight decouplers. It's not a magic bullet.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/97285-0-25-Stock-Bug-Fix-Modules-%28Release-v0-1-5c-10-Dec-14%29?p=1589111&viewfull=1#post1589111

^ The chain of posts there might be of some use for those of you being affected with so-called "staging bugs", the symptoms sound similar at least.

Yes... I've seen this. I don't have stock bugfix on my install, only if it's in the recommended ones from Realism Overhaul, which doesn't give me it's folder.

I'll uninstall KJR to see if it somehow works then.

Considering that KJR hasn't changed at all in many, many KSP versions, and these staging bugs have only appeared halfway through 0.25, even though KJR hasn't changed once during it, I'm going to say it's another mod causing the issue. I'm sorry, I can't fix other people's code.