[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

Just downloaded Proot's pack. How do I open a .rar file?

A rar file is like a zip file. If your OS can't handle it already then you'll need to download and install an application that can.

Well I can't seem to get the alt-N key to work. Since you guys don't seem to have a problem, I'm going to go ahead and assume the problem is on my end. Anyway I'm thinking I have a conflicting mod somewhere that's preventing the alt-n menu from showing up, and before I start mindlessly deleting mods until it works, I think I'll just go ahead and ask if there are any known mods that could conflict with EVE's alt-n menu and start from there.

I don't know about conflicting mods, but I believe you can change the key to Alt-<something else> by changing the line right near the top of BoulderCo/Clouds/cloudLayers.cfg:

GUI_KEYCODE = N

to select a key of your choice - that might help?

What I've been working on:

Fully configurable shaders for terrain and scaled-space bodies (better for terminators, colors, etc.)

Daytime city textures

Higher-vertex count spheres for RSS

Using my BSc to design a proper generic module management mechanism for configs and GUIs.

Is there anything else specifically you wonderful people would like to see?

What I've been working on:

Fully configurable shaders for terrain and scaled-space bodies (better for terminators, colors, etc.)

Daytime city textures

Higher-vertex count spheres for RSS

Using my BSc to design a proper generic module management mechanism for configs and GUIs.

Is there anything else specifically you wonderful people would like to see?

Will be solved the zfight issue in city lights?

rbray: that sounds like a good list! :)

For terrain, do you also mean water shader? That's a big issue with RSS, where it seems they're using a fresnel shader but the shader vars are off.

The setting-cloud-position-based-on-UT thing? Is that in?

A longer-term issue (non-critical) but that I have seen for a number of versions, unless I'm misconfiguring: it seems very hard to get the detail texture's alpha to affect cloud opacity. In particular, what I'd like to see would be very *white* clouds (i.e. weak RGB effect from detail texture) that are nonetheless very broken up by the detail texture's alpha. As it stands, in order to get detail in the clouds, they come out looking somewhat gray.

If you get bored (hah) there's my perpetual suggestion to just implement pnoise in the pixel shader (perhaps rather than detail textures, perhaps in combination). That will neatly avoid the issue of detail texture scaling since it operates in screenspace rather than worldspace, and you can have the resolution be as fine as you want (so even if you're reasonably close to the 2D cloudlayer the detailing will look very sharp).

You could do something similar to make city lights twinkle.

I have even more long-term stuff (using similar paging terrain code to handle landclasses, which then translate into different terrain shader (or even tiled diffuse/normal textures based on landclass); replacing/enhancing the stock terrain scatter system and getting it to the level of a flight sim (trees, buildings, etc)...

rbray: that sounds like a good list! :)

For terrain, do you also mean water shader? That's a big issue with RSS, where it seems they're using a fresnel shader but the shader vars are off.

The setting-cloud-position-based-on-UT thing? Is that in?

A longer-term issue (non-critical) but that I have seen for a number of versions, unless I'm misconfiguring: it seems very hard to get the detail texture's alpha to affect cloud opacity. In particular, what I'd like to see would be very *white* clouds (i.e. weak RGB effect from detail texture) that are nonetheless very broken up by the detail texture's alpha. As it stands, in order to get detail in the clouds, they come out looking somewhat gray.

If you get bored (hah) there's my perpetual suggestion to just implement pnoise in the pixel shader (perhaps rather than detail textures, perhaps in combination). That will neatly avoid the issue of detail texture scaling since it operates in screenspace rather than worldspace, and you can have the resolution be as fine as you want (so even if you're reasonably close to the 2D cloudlayer the detailing will look very sharp).

You could do something similar to make city lights twinkle.

I have even more long-term stuff (using similar paging terrain code to handle landclasses, which then translate into different terrain shader (or even tiled diffuse/normal textures based on landclass); replacing/enhancing the stock terrain scatter system and getting it to the level of a flight sim (trees, buildings, etc)...

Water is on my list. It will be a verticies-altering depth-based shader. Similar to fog. I also hope to have a mechanism in-place for when you look under water as well.

Yeah, UT is going to be included in my clouds re-do.

If you are doing noise in screen-space, wouldn't it look weird when you move the camera? The alpha is being transferred in the detail, though people may not use it.

Haha, yeah, I've been thinking about that kind of stuff. Right now I've been looking at using a global map (PQS only uses one material per-body) but obviously that would be less than ideal for RSS. What I'd LIKE to do is embed the info per-vertex, but no matter what I do, the UV coords get messed up, and I don't really want to muck with color (though I would if I had to.).

I am getting nothing when I press Alt+n... I am on the most recent version, just re-downloaded the mod and still no change. :( I have never gotten it to work (I did not know of it until recently, been bugging me ever since) Any idea what the problem could be?

I am getting nothing when I press Alt+n... I am on the most recent version, just re-downloaded the mod and still no change. :( I have never gotten it to work (I did not know of it until recently, been bugging me ever since) Any idea what the problem could be?

Can you give us more insight? It's hard to work with "IT DOESN'T WURK PLZ HELP".

rbray89:

Water: cool! The main problem RSS has with water, though, is it seems the fresnel params get messed up and near-screen water is

treated as transparent pretty much no matter the angle.

Re: pnoise. Yeah, fair point. Hmm. I guess what I was really gunning for was having frequency dependent on distance, maybe, as a way to get around having to use octaves?

There *should* be a spare float or two per vertex; we should dig into PQS....pretty sure I've seen something you could maybe use.

Yes, provided the new terrain replacement shader is in use for Kerbin.

Are the current problems with cities caused by trying to make sure they cut off right at the shore line? If so then I have no requests.

If not, then my only request is that cities be cut off right at the shore line :)

rbray89:

Water: cool! The main problem RSS has with water, though, is it seems the fresnel params get messed up and near-screen water is

treated as transparent pretty much no matter the angle.

Re: pnoise. Yeah, fair point. Hmm. I guess what I was really gunning for was having frequency dependent on distance, maybe, as a way to get around having to use octaves?

There *should* be a spare float or two per vertex; we should dig into PQS....pretty sure I've seen something you could maybe use.

Yeah, the water transparency will be based purely on distance to the terrain below.

Right now I'm using the tangent to assign a "planetNormal" for procedural UV'ing. The normal obviously isn't up for grabs, and There are only 3 fields (alpha is assigned via the heightmap) for color (not enough to ensure color assignment) so I don't know where I'd be able to assign them to the vertex.

Are the current problems with cities caused by trying to make sure they cut off right at the shore line? If so then I have no requests.

If not, then my only request is that cities be cut off right at the shore line :)

Haha, I'll try to include it. Right now it doesn't look to bad as it is, as it doesn't do the weird hovering thing.

The clouds seem to be moving a bit fast. I haven't clocked them but they are faster than me flying at Mach 2. :)

Using RSS btw.

Edited by MAKC

You can change that :P Adjust the speed setting in the ALT+N menu.

Super longtime answer for supreme happy! Seriously though, I think that question and answer are on every page. One more for the record!

is there anyway to disable clouds on non-atmospheric bodies such as minumus/mun? It looks bad in my opinion and not realistic when trying to land. I do like having clouds on Kerbin, they are done nicely . I don't want to lose that, but I want the moon clouds gone......