[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

I'm having the same problem as Hammer Tech. There are no clouds. I can create new ones but I have no idea how to so it just looks like a white ball.

Edited by Dhan

Kerbin1.png and kerbin1.png alone crashes my game, even with the active reducer on. I remove it, load the rest into RAM, re-add it, and it still hangs the game. The game doesn't CTD, it just hangs there.

Due to their size they can take ~10 minutes to load the first time you run the game with them

Once the cache file has been generated for them, subsequent loads will be almost normal

The second beta looks real nice, Much more of a sense of being inside a dark, dense cloud now, I was wandering if it would be possible to apply some normally distributed height and size variation to one(or maybe a cluster/group) of cloudlets to give some variability to their spread and 'formation'. Basically what I'm thinking is having the occational cloud rising above, out of the cloud layer and some below to make it feel more realistic and give it a sense of being created naturally. It's just an idea, but as always I'm just happy to be able to fly/decend/launch through clouds :)

A small clip of rbrays latest work (awesomestuff!) :

The second beta looks real nice, Much more of a sense of being inside a dark, dense cloud now, I was wandering if it would be possible to apply some normally distributed height and size variation to one(or maybe a cluster/group) of cloudlets to give some variability to their spread and 'formation'. Basically what I'm thinking is having the occational cloud rising above, out of the cloud layer and some below to make it feel more realistic and give it a sense of being created naturally. It's just an idea, but as always I'm just happy to be able to fly/decend/launch through clouds :)

Man, I agree with this totally....that Youtube clip is some awesome stuff! Can't wait to launch through some of these awesome volumetric clouds!

Yeah, the positions/sizes will be more randomized in the future, hopefully to offset the "top-down" view issue. I also want to get spawning working now, and some lighting.

Congratulations again rbray89, that new clouds looks truly awesome.

I'm looking forward to the final version.

Edit:

Btw... Rings! It's possible make them act like physical objects in any way?? (for example produce collisions)

NuNt20q.jpg

Edited by Proot

Hahaha! I know why that is happening. Funny, I never bothered to try and take a ship high enough to run into this. I need to do something about that :)

What is happening? He doesn't look very high..?

What is happening? He doesn't look very high..?

It is a problem with scale. The billboards are attached to the cloud sphere layer as a child. when the layer shifts to the map layer, the scale is also updated, and then the planetary camera takes over. However, the planetary scale is actually centered on the craft, and the shader renders a square in view-space, so all sorts of crazy would happen if I don't get rid of the billboards before that switch happens.

Forum user Westi29 had posted some files to simulate an aurora around Kerbin's poles. I decided to edit the textures a bit to make them a little more subtle, green, and not so opaque when the sun is behind them causing them to be darker than the sunlight. I also fixed some pixelation issues. Here's a link with the new textures and user config settings to paste into your visual enhance userCloudLayers.cfg file.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6861684/kerbin_aurora.zip

I would add the extra layers in the config before the regular cloud layers so the aurora isn't obscured.

4MPTV6a.png

IgQ329H.png

rQMSqI3.png

Ddgfgxf.png

It's one I made since I wasn't a fan of the really bright galaxy ones. Very simple stars with only a little bit of color variation and size. Here ya go.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6861684/skybox.zip

Also here's my sun flare which I think really ties it all together. However installing it involves modifying assets which I don't think is allowed...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6861684/sun_flare.zip

It's a shame up close the clouds turn relative to the angle of the camera. I've been pondering as to whether some kind of script could be implemented that progressively adds ambient haze (i.e. cloud) to the cam viewpoint as you approach the clouds whilst fading the nearest particles.. or begin this at a certain radius from the particle center to induce a sense of sudden, faded immersion into a cloud bank. This would probably have a pretty weird appearance from another point of view but as the game is hardly multiplayer at the moment it might be a viable option worth experimenting, that's provided this is even remotely possible with scripting and as I am clueless in this area I'd assume not :P