BROKEN [0.90] TextureReplacer 2.1.2 (20.12.2014)

shaw

That's awesome, glad to hear it. Despite all the arguments that "Kerbals are genderless!" they still have a distinctly male appearance with the square jaw and buzz cut, not to mention the mostly male names. It'd be nice to either see female Kerbals or a more gender-neutral Kerbal look.

Tingle puts it best into words in his Universe Replacer thread.

I honestly have no idea how it "works," but I believe it's how Unity reads textures. It took me a while to figure out how to fix my own Kerbin using only GIMP. Basically I have to split the texture into two layers. Land and water. Put the water texture on top of the land texture, then decrease the land texture's opacity. I have no idea just how transparent you can make the land texture before it bugs out in game. As far as I can tell 30-50% works just fine. Then simply save it, and optionally use a program like pngquant/pnggoo to compress it. Be sure to make a backup of your original texture, though. Tweaking textures after making them transparent is a pain.

That's just how I do it, though. There's probably a much better way.

Many thanks for the info! Truly instructive!

Proot, your Mun texture looks awwwfully familiar. I'm flattered. <3 I can spare my current planet textures if you want to give them a makeover.

I really wish I could use that mod just for its warmer lighting. I love how Kerbin looks during the day.

Wow! I hadn't noticed you are the same person from Reddit's post that I've referenced in the changelog! But then I've checked the README's pack just to be sure... and is not there :P Please, excuse me.

In fact the readme in the rar is an early and incomplete version. This will be changed asap to fix the changelog and give you the credit that you deserve. If you have links to your work it would be an honour add that info in the pack.

Btw, I L-O-V-E your mun texture. One of the better textures that I've ever seen for KSP. If you check it my changes are only a bit of colors for the surface and a bit of rugosity...

If the rest of your planets and moons textures are so great I bet your KSP looks awesome! Would be very generous of you share the rest of your art work.

Edited by Proot

Many thanks for the info! Truly instructive!

Wow! I hadn't noticed you are the same person from Reddit's post that I've referenced in the changelog! But then I've checked the README's pack just to be sure... and is not there :P Please, excuse me.

In fact the readme in the rar is an early and incomplete version. This will be changed asap to fix the changelog and give you the credit that you deserve. If you have links to your work it would be an honour add that info in the pack.

Btw, I L-O-V-E your mun texture. One of the better textures that I've ever seen for KSP. If you check it my changes are only a bit of colors for the surface and a bit of rugosity...

If the rest of your planets and moons textures are so great I bet your KSP looks awesome! Would be very generous of you share the rest of your art work.

Did you just take down your existing release? :( Mega link is definitely broken.

If you have links to your work it would be an honour add that info in the pack.

Haha, you're too kind. I'm far from an artist. I've just been experimenting with different things and learning as I go. I've never even really used image editing programs before I started dabbling with KSP textures.

I'm getting close to updating my pack, which in my opinion is much better than the old version. The main thing holding me back is a good Eve texture because there's not much to work off of. But when I update it you can feel free to do whatever you want with them. (In fact, I think I'm going to update it sometime today.)

One suggestion for the Jeb, Bill and Bob textures: make them more like Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins. They are the original crazy trio of space. Also their hairstyles are all unique, but closer to the stock Kerbal look. I've grown so accustomed to how Jeb, Bill and Bob look that it looks weird when one looks like Hadfield. I don't mind Chrishad Kerman or some other random Kerbal looking like Hadfield, but the original three should stick closer to the stock look.

Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins. They are the original crazy trio of space.

I know what your going for here, but.... I wouldn't call them the orginal crazy trio, they weren't even the first 3 to got to the moon, just the first to land, So why not Borman, Lovell, and Anders? They weren't the first to be in space at the same time, that would be Schirra, Eisele, and Cunniham.

But really most important to me, we get Jeb Bill and Bob before we get the 3 man crew capsule. So I think they should be modeled after real original crazies. Jeb = Yuri Gararin, Bill = Alan Shepard, and Bob = Gus Grissom Though I really feel like we should throw Valentina Tereshkova in somewhere.

Anyways, on to the actual reason of my posting.

Never tired texture replacer or universe replacer before but I saw the post for Gender specific suits and faces thought I'd try it.

I installed it and copied Syliths heads into the the GenericKerbals folder and some into GenericKerbins folder. And I also copied particular heads into CustomKerbals/Jeb.. etc

All of these I renamed KerbalHead.png or KerbalHead#.png

None of them worked. Stills standard heads, but the mod is working cuz no Helmets on Kerbin, what did I do wrong?

This pack started back in late November of 2013 where I took an interest in modding Kerbal Space Program. I found the Universe Replacer mod by Tingle but didn't like most of the texture packs available at the time. So I used GIMP and fiddled around and created my own textures. Most of them weren't great, but a lot of people liked them, so I decided to start over and try to learn more about image editing. After a number of revisions too high to count these textures are what I have. They are by no means professional or "high quality" in my opinion, but I am frequently working on the textures to make them even better. Unfortunately, I don't get a lot of feedback, so most of what I do to the textures are personal preference! So, please, give me feedback if you can! This pack started as being a personal project, but I want others to enjoy it too.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

A Wild Download Link Appears!

Ike, Dres, Mun, Tylo, and Vall have been "softened" slightly with minor dusty/rocky effects.

Eve has been darkened slightly, still prefer to use a cloud mod for it instead of a texture.

Visor reflect textures darkened. I noticed the galaxy looked a bit weird with super contrast.

Redone Kerbin texture with brighter snowcapped mountains. May need more tweaking.

Expect completely overhauled textures after KSP 0.26 is released!

Other Downloads:

Kerbin System Only

Old Tylo Texture (Preview)

Highly Recommended Mods:

Visual Enhancements: Clouds and City-Lights

Astronomer's Visual Pack for Visual Enhancements.

and check out Proot's sweet artworks mod.

Credit to Zexyterrestrial for permission to use his skybox in this pack. Thanks of course to Tingle for the Celestial Bodies Revamped Pack as well as the Universe Replacer mod, and also saik0 for the web maps of all planets and moons. Finally thanks to shaw for Texture Replacer and Proot for being a bro and using one of my older Mun textures in his pack.

Any feedback or tips are welcome.

Edited by Endraxial
Updates! Edits!

One suggestion for the Jeb, Bill and Bob textures: make them more like Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins. They are the original crazy trio of space.

But... Kerbals. I'm pretty sure Curly, Larry and Moe would be more appropriate :D

I installed it and copied Syliths heads into the the GenericKerbals folder and some into GenericKerbins folder. And I also copied particular heads into CustomKerbals/Jeb.. etc

All of these I renamed KerbalHead.png or KerbalHead#.png

None of them worked. Stills standard heads, but the mod is working cuz no Helmets on Kerbin, what did I do wrong?

kerbalHead#.png, not KerbalHead#.png

Looking good but......

I tried out the gender option and it works nicely. I built a ship that could hold 15 kerbal and launched into orbit. EVAed everyone to check the suit to face mix and everything was fine except that most if the would spin wildly with RCS on. I could only stop it by switching off RCS and then switching it on again. When I cycled through the kerbals any that I had stopped spinning would be spinning again. I'm not sure if it is being caused buy this mod but I figure I'd say something just in case. I'm about to remove the mod and reload the scenerio and see if I have the same spinning issue.

*** UPDATE***

I tested without the mod and there was not spinning. The spinning also only happens when EVAing from the hitchhiker can.

The spin is always to the left. I exit the can, press space to let go, and then turn on RCS. They start spinning.

Edited by dr_jt

Can someone give me an absolutly idiot-proven instruction how to get this working? All I get is a crash if I do it according to me understanding. (I have sweetfx and that environment mod successfully running)

What do you want to work?

All I use are suit textures.

What do you want to work?

All I use are suit textures.

If those would work i´d be happy:

Pimp My Kerbals texture pack 1.1 (updated 23.1.2014).

Extension of Sylith's Kerbal heads pack (updated 22.1.2014).

Endraxiel's planet textures.

Oinker's skybox.

Looking good but......

I tried out the gender option and it works nicely. I built a ship that could hold 15 kerbal and launched into orbit. EVAed everyone to check the suit to face mix and everything was fine except that most if the would spin wildly with RCS on. I could only stop it by switching off RCS and then switching it on again. When I cycled through the kerbals any that I had stopped spinning would be spinning again. I'm not sure if it is being caused buy this mod but I figure I'd say something just in case. I'm about to remove the mod and reload the scenerio and see if I have the same spinning issue.

*** UPDATE***

I tested without the mod and there was not spinning. The spinning also only happens when EVAing from the hitchhiker can.

The spin is always to the left. I exit the can, press space to let go, and then turn on RCS. They start spinning.

I'll test that.

Maybe that happens because of frame drops or lower frame rate for a fraction of a second. AFAIK KSP doesn't have fixed time step for physics.

Proot, your TP is quite nice, but you might want to think about shrinking the textures a bit, or making a 'lite' version. Installing the current iteration is around +700MB RAM usage, which gets one back into ram burst crash territory.

http://imgur.com/a/YxAvu

A Wild Download Link Appears!

Alright, my dear modders. I think I'm comfortable enough to release the first version of the 2014 edition of my planet textures! My previous pack looked nice and all, but the colors weren't exactly faithful to the original. In this pack the colors are more faithful, though there are still some planets that need to be color balanced. Everything (except for Eeloo and Tylo) was completely remade, so the details aren't the same and in some cases much better. (Like for Bop and Dres.) Also, Jool is finally an original texture and not based off of Jupiter. (YIPPEE!) Honestly, the only two textures I'm still iffy about are Duna and Ike. I don't know what the deal is with these two, but I can't seem to be happy with them. If an update happens it'll probably be those two that get changed. Also, I think I'm going to leave this pack as a TR exclusive. UR is outdated and people need to switch!

Anyway. There you go. Give me feedback, use the textures for whatever you want, beg Proot to do a sweet collab with me so that we may rule over this thread with an iron fist, etc.

It's very, very recommended to use the Visual Enhancement Mod, mostly because I'm ashamed of Eve and the clouds cover it up. But also because it a) makes Kerbin look sweet and B) adds even more detail to Jool.

Great textures! Hope you don't mind if I use some details to get better results with my pack.

Proot, your TP is quite nice, but you might want to think about shrinking the textures a bit, or making a 'lite' version. Installing the current iteration is around +700MB RAM usage, which gets one back into ram burst crash territory.

Use this: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-23-Release-2-15-Active-Texture-Management-Save-RAM-without-reduction-packs!

If the memory usage still high after that, use any image editor and low kerbin to 4k (original half resolution) and the skybox to 2k (original half resolution).

If you can't or you don't want to do it, please, wait for the next update with SD textures version.

Edited by Proot

Use this: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-23-Release-2-15-Active-Texture-Management-Save-RAM-without-reduction-packs!

If the memory usage still high after that, use any image editor and low kerbin to 4k (original half resolution) and the skybox to 2k (original half resolution).

If you can't or you don't want to do it, please, wait for the next update with SD textures version.

Yea, I'm aware of the texture compressor. Already using it. Though, and this is quite strange - I removed only the kerbal EVA suit textures from your pack, and my memory usage dropped by nearly a GB.

Can someone make me two EVA suits, one with a Chinese flag on the back of the helmet and one with a Union Jack on the back of the helmet. On the chinese one, can someone change the red stripes on the default EVA suit to blue? And if I could have those little flight cap thingies from Pimp My Kerbals.

Cheers in advance, it's for my AAR.