[1.8+] Real Fuels

NathanKell

I see nothing about it not showing up. Did you look in the Fuel Tanks tab as well? Old parts with category = Propulsion get put in the Fuel Tanks tab unless they have a module that says its name is Engine. The stock modules do, we don't. So in that MM patch add

%category = Engine

I installed RF with stockalike RF and when i clikc to set up fuel in the tank for the engine that is attached, the proportions are not set up right. I always run out of liquid oxygen while the other mixtures without it are fine

2 hours ago, Joco223 said:

I installed RF with stockalike RF and when i clikc to set up fuel in the tank for the engine that is attached, the proportions are not set up right. I always run out of liquid oxygen while the other mixtures without it are fine

As answered in the RF thread (don't post the same question in multiple threads plz)

some of your LO2 is boiling off. It is not unusual to run out of it before your fuel. 

I noticed that the boiloff calculation excessively spams the debug console while flying a craft with cryogenic fuels:

Spoiler

z8dH2n7.jpg

Only mods used are Realfuels, Realfuels-stockalike, Realplume and Ven's stock revamp.

Is there any way to limit this? It slows down the game and prevents me from debugging some other mods.

Thanks!

Edited by Ralathon

I don't know where my problem is located.

I play around with RSS, RealFuels, Procedural Tanks, etc...

The fuels, like Hydrazine, that are used as monoprops only are not available in the GUI of the procedural tanks.

After writing this, I think it might be dislocated. Is this more like a fuel switch or procedural parts issue?

Thanks...Benji

35 minutes ago, Benji said:

I don't know where my problem is located.

I play around with RSS, RealFuels, Procedural Tanks, etc...

The fuels, like Hydrazine, that are used as monoprops only are not available in the GUI of the procedural tanks.

After writing this, I think it might be dislocated. Is this more like a fuel switch or procedural parts issue?

Thanks...Benji

Some fuels only go into certain tank types. Hydrazine for example needs to be in a Service Module classified tank iirc. Change tank type in the right-click menu on that tank. Beware though, that it has a much worse dry / wet ratio compared to other tanks.

Edited by TrooperCooper

@NathanKell What would it take for Procedural srbs to allow a thrust curve and still allow changing thrust as it currently is. I tried play with just inserting a thrust curve, but it stopped the thrust from be adjustable and seemed to only follow the curves thrust profile. Is this feasible/possible? I really want thrust curves for srbs, but I don't want more parts when/if I could use just the pSRB if this change is possible that is.  If this would be/need a change on pParts' end let me know and I'll go bug @RadarManFromTheMoon. Thanks!

Hey NathanKell, I have a quick question regarding ullage simulation and engine ignitions. My question is whether or not we need to have Realism Overhaul installed to take advantage of ullage and engine ignitions, or if there is an option in a Real Fuels config someplace to enable it. I ask because I only want the above two options without the extra parts and other bells and whistles that RO installs with it. Thanks for you time, NathanKell, and keep up the great work!

6 minutes ago, fallout2077 said:

Hey NathanKell, I have a quick question regarding ullage simulation and engine ignitions. My question is whether or not we need to have Realism Overhaul installed to take advantage of ullage and engine ignitions, or if there is an option in a Real Fuels config someplace to enable it. I ask because I only want the above two options without the extra parts and other bells and whistles that RO installs with it. Thanks for you time, NathanKell, and keep up the great work!

@fallout2077 In the realfuels folder is a file called REALSETTINGS.cfg. In that file is a node title ullage with the parameter you want in it. Just have to set them to true.

Ullage
	{
		simulateUllage = true
		limitedIgnitions = true
		shutdownEngineWhenUnstable = true
		explodeEngineWhenTooUnstable = false
	}

Seems you were right @NathanKell. Not sure where I had an issue in the past, but it seem to work as desired. Thanks for the reply none the less.

Edited by Svm420

19 hours ago, Svm420 said:

@fallout2077 In the realfuels folder is a file called REALSETTINGS.cfg. In that file is a node title ullage with the parameter you want in it. Just have to set them to true.

Ullage
	{
		simulateUllage = true
		limitedIgnitions = true
		shutdownEngineWhenUnstable = true
		explodeEngineWhenTooUnstable = false
	}

Thank you, my good man!

Oh, and by the way, I love the "DOWN WITH CKAN" line in your signature... I have been irked by CKAN on many occasions, and I only use it when installing the monster that is Realism Overhaul.

Edited by fallout2077
Moved certain lines to new post

I have a bit of a problem. No RO engine will start, because Real Fuels apparently isn't found

y2IvZXO.jpg

Clicking 'remove tanks' does nothing at all. 

Here's my mods

Niy81pW.png

edit: updating Module Manager didn't fix. But I did realize I'm on 64. I promise not to post here again if I can have the cheat code to enable Real Fuels (because RSS and for that matter KSP in general is absolutely more unstable in x86 than the unsupported 64-bit. No crashes at all where I'd crash every other time I tried 32 bit client no matter what I tried to kill RAM use. 

Edited by cardgame

7 hours ago, cardgame said:

64-bit

Congratulations, you have had an atypical experience. There's very little else to say to that. There is no cheat code. There may be someone who has futzed something together - the code is open source - but that, then, is their problem, not anyone affiliated with RF.

Upon opening the RealSettings.cfg file and scrolling down to appropriate lines, I see that Ullage simulation has always been set to true in my installs. Hmm... I could swear that the engines that I've been using have had unlimited ignitions and I was never required to shift the fuel in the tank to ignite the engines. I don't even remember seeing the fuel stability line in the tank or engine info in-game. Hmm...

I just launched a quick rocket using engines and tanks from FASA, and the engine status always stayed at "nominal", never becoming unstable like I've seen in videos. So, I must be doing something wrong here, right? Or are only certain engines compatible?

59 minutes ago, fallout2077 said:

Upon opening the RealSettings.cfg file and scrolling down to appropriate lines, I see that Ullage simulation has always been set to true in my installs. Hmm... I could swear that the engines that I've been using have had unlimited ignitions and I was never required to shift the fuel in the tank to ignite the engines. I don't even remember seeing the fuel stability line in the tank or engine info in-game. Hmm...

I just launched a quick rocket using engines and tanks from FASA, and the engine status always stayed at "nominal", never becoming unstable like I've seen in videos. So, I must be doing something wrong here, right? Or are only certain engines compatible?

Logs and MM.cache are appreciated :)

11 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

As i see, the FASA RFS patches still use the old EngineIgnitor modules. Theoretically, these should work as RF is compatible with them...hmm.

Do you have a specific engine in hand?

I don't remember off of the top of my head... let me boot up KSP and find it. I'll be right back.

I was using the Gemini Titan LR-91.

Edited by fallout2077

Yeah, to use them you have to make sure your engine is using ModuleEnginesRF and you have to tell it to have ullage = true and ignitions = (number of ignitions desired). Setting engines to pressureFed = true means they must be fed by a RealFuels-enabled tank of type Fuselage or ServiceModule.

7 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

Yeah, to use them you have to make sure your engine is using ModuleEnginesRF and you have to tell it to have ullage = true and ignitions = (number of ignitions desired). Setting engines to pressureFed = true means they must be fed by a RealFuels-enabled tank of type Fuselage or ServiceModule.

Is it safe to assume that the reason why ullage works out of the box with RO is because RO's configs already have these conditions set, and the stockalike configs do not?

On 1/16/2016 at 11:08 PM, NathanKell said:

@fallout2077 Yes.

As said above RF should be loading old EngineIgnitor syntax if it's inside a ModuleEngineConfigs but the safest is to write your own using the current syntax.

One of these days I'll have to take a look at the configs in RO to get a proper jumping-off point, seeing as how I know absolutely nothing regarding the creation of config files. Thanks for the heads up!

Edited by fallout2077