Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

1 minute ago, Majorjim said:

I suggested he try using antennas but I meant as part of one of my Thermo hinges. What he did is just use the antennas as the cage and the moving part. From some tests I saw that it is not as reliable as a thermo cage hinge. I would try those if you are having reliability uses.

I might look into it, but that would require a lot more tweaking to get it right, on top of the stuff I've already done, and it'd add to part count. For this use, I think it's working totally fine - reliability isn't mission critical, and it doesn't have to dock, as long as it falls clear of the rocket. Thankfully, gravity is extremely reliable at doing that :P 

Sorry about the kinda wrong credit giving

Just now, MrMeeb said:

I might look into it, but that would require a lot more tweaking to get it right, on top of the stuff I've already done, and it'd add to part count. For this use, I think it's working totally fine - reliability isn't mission critical, and it doesn't have to dock, as long as it falls clear of the rocket. Thankfully, gravity is extremely reliable at doing that :P 

Sorry about the kinda wrong credit giving

Forget the credit mate it was just to shoe horn in my point about the hinge. If it works then great! If made correctly it would not take more parts. How many antennas you got for each falling part?

Just now, Majorjim said:

Forget the credit mate it was just to shoe horn in my point about the hinge. If it works then great! If made correctly it would not take more parts. How many antennas you got for each falling part?

Haha okay.

Each hinge has 6 parts - two on the arm, and four on the tower

Just now, MrMeeb said:

Haha okay.

Each hinge has 6 parts - two on the arm, and four on the tower

Ok, yes to secure it with either the ant only hinge or the thermo hinge would take two extra parts per falling part. And I should point out Raptor9 came up with the idea to just use the antennas as cages himself.

Just now, Majorjim said:

I should point out Raptor9 came up with the idea to just use the antennas as cages himself.

I always give credit where it's due. I always have, I always will. Many don't sadly.. ;.;

Edited by Majorjim

On 21 June 2016 at 7:36 PM, awfulcraftdesigns said:

Might I ask if we are allowed to present complete works that have been tested, but don't want to go through the hassle of making a catalogue sort of thread in Spacecraft Exchange...

If so, I present to you the Hawk X-1, an SSTO that is almost completley stock. I believe there is only like 1 part that is from a mod and that is mainly for refueling. I'll go searching through the craft to find what mods are compulsory. 

So far it can reach Mun and Minmus but not sure of what other planets so it'd be much appreciated to know where else this thing can be taken!

(Also remove the Cooling Panels they tear of as soon as they are deployed)

COMPULSORY MODS:

Rocket Factory

Craft File:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/113345787/Hawk X-1.craft

Action Groups:

1. Togge Whiplash

2. Toggle Aerospike

3. BAM Fuel Generator (From Rocket Factory)

No one interested in this?

Just now, Majorjim said:

Check if possible man and don't be discouraged!

I just have and it doesn't look like dropbox has anything that says how many downloads it has. If you have downloaded it how does she fly in 1.1 and above? (Built in 1.0.5 you see)

Just now, awfulcraftdesigns said:

I just have and it doesn't look like dropbox has anything that says how many downloads it has. If you have downloaded it how does she fly in 1.1 and above? (Built in 1.0.5 you see)

I have not tested it myself man but I can. Give me a few mins.

On 6/24/2016 at 5:05 PM, pTrevTrevs said:

I think I've got a hard one for you all today, but judging by how easily my other craft have been guessed, this one will probably be guessed within the next half hour.

[edited to save space by adsii1970]

What are you using for your main rotor?

3 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

I have not tested it myself man but I can. Give me a few mins.

Sweet, cheers dude. If you'd like I may be able to create a few other craft if you enjoy this one?

Sweet, cheers dude. If you'd like I may be able to create a few other craft if you enjoy this one?

Ok firstly I had to make my own craft file as you uploaded only the text inside it and secondly I cannot open it as it says it has locked or invalid parts. I don't use any part mods so make sure it is 100% stock parts and then I can test it for you man.

1 minute ago, Majorjim said:

Ok firstly I had to make my own craft file as you uploaded only the text inside it and secondly I cannot open it as it says it has locked or invalid parts. I don't use any part mods so make sure it is 100% stock parts and then I can test it for you man.

Like I said, you need rocket factory installed and part clipping an ISRU is kinda ugly imo. But I'll try dude.

Just now, Majorjim said:

Oh sorry I didn't read that..

Its cool we all make mistakes, I can link you with rocket factory if you wish

Its cool we all make mistakes, I can link you with rocket factory if you wish

I am too stubborn and grumpy to install a mod to test a craft man. :blush: I will leave it to someone else to test unless its stock. Is it easy to remove the mod part in the craft?

10 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

I am too stubborn and grumpy to install a mod to test a craft man. :blush: I will leave it to someone else to test unless its stock. Is it easy to remove the mod part in the craft?

Yes, you just need to part clip something that can generate liquid fuel and oxidiser. Then orbiting on aerospikes alone should be easy enough with that done.

1 minute ago, awfulcraftdesigns said:

Yes, you just need to part clip something that can generate liquid fuel and oxidiser. Then orbiting on aerospikes alone should be easy enough with that done.

I'd recommend uploading it to KerbalX. That way, you can see how many people are downloading it, and it'll probably get more traction! :D 

-----------------------------------------

Okay, so after seriously breaking Windows 7, panicking, thinking I'd have to do a fresh install but then fixing the problem, we have liftoff!

Vm9ce8w.gif

I think it really adds something to have a launch tower, and I'm really happy with it as a first try

17 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

I'd recommend uploading it to KerbalX. That way, you can see how many people are downloading it, and it'll probably get more traction! :D 

-----------------------------------------

Okay, so after seriously breaking Windows 7, panicking, thinking I'd have to do a fresh install but then fixing the problem, we have liftoff!

Vm9ce8w.gif

I think it really adds something to have a launch tower, and I'm really happy with it as a first try

I'm uh... glad... to see you did... better than... me...

At least the tower itself is still standing, it was just the platform that failed.

22 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

--snip--

I know I should but, I just can't be bothered imo.

22 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

--snip--

I've resumed testing the H-5, and have made a few changes. I've given it a smaller tail, redesigned the cockpit and reduced the number of seats to two, like the early model H-5s.

Spoiler

xD10ntU.pngThe aircraft is so light that the engine is almost too powerful for it. Even at two thirds throttle (or 60 kilonewtons of thrust) it accelerates and increases in altitude very quickly (almost too quickly to react).

n7D2zFt.png The new cockpit has two seats and is slightly wider. It's still a little snug but then again so is a real H-5's.

ywFBsNq.png I flew it out to the monolith to see just how big they made it. It's pretty big.

BeZARcn.png The biggest problem currently is that it has a tendency to pitch up, probably because the center of thrust isn't aligned properly. This, combined with the grossly overpowered engine, makes it a true challenge to fly. I tried to land it on the VAB's helipad, this was the closet I got after about four minutes (in game time) of trying.

One more thing, I've noticed that the chopper leans slightly forward when landed. I tried adjusting the spring and damper strength of the front wheels to solve this but it only made the helicopter bounce around and slide down the runway, even with brakes on. I also noticed that the wheels are clipped into the ground. I've seen this before but it hasn't caused any problems. Does anyone know if it's what's causing the weird leaning?

Spoiler

CAgViqH.png