Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

11 hours ago, Azimech said:

Revisited my old stock 0.90 FW 190-A2 ... gave it a modern engine but due to bad aerodynamics, it's still slow. But ... still looking glorious!

I can't even make a working turboprop engine let alone something like that :I lol

12 hours ago, Azimech said:

Revisited my old stock 0.90 FW 190-A2 ... gave it a modern engine but due to bad aerodynamics, it's still slow. But ... still looking glorious!

Have you tired flying with an open Cockpit, like remove the heavy Cockpit frame to see it's performance? I'm thinking the speeds will increase a good bit

I plan on making an SSTO vehicle, and I have been working with aerodynamics, new custom cockpits, VTOL capabilities, and etc. I hope to have a super maneuverable hypersonic SSTO military jet by the end of the week if all goes well, here are the basic aerodynamic, custom cockpit, and STOL results.

Designed to take off from, and land on carriers, small enough to go anywhere, and powerful enough to fight anything, this aircraft should be my best one yet, and far superior to the rest, being capable of anything.. almost.

Edited by He_162

Further developments, a few minor tweaks, and a few added on intakes, and we should be good. A fully recoverable spaceplane capable of vertical takeoff with the assist pods, and then horizontal landing on the runway from anywhere on Kerbin after an engagement.

Edited by He_162

I shouldn't even have to offer a chance to guess this one, everyone knows it.

3U5fzZw.png

I love the way it looks, especially since I got Nebula working, but it still has more problems than the Panther and the Skyraider combined. It's too slow with a Wheesley engine, but with a Panther (the engine, not my plane) I get this weird phantom force that forces the aircraft into a roll to the right as soon as it leaves the runway. Even if I manage to keep it airborne, I can't avoid the space center buildings. This happens with gimbal on and off, decreased thrust limit, SAS, extra wide undercarriage... I've tried just about every trick in the book to fix this, but it happens the exact same every single time. Same amount of force, same direction, seems like there's nothing I can do to stop it. I get a feeling like the plane is flipping me the bird whenever this happens, it's just so frustrating...

But hey, I got Nebula working!

Edited by pTrevTrevs

24 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

I shouldn't even have to offer a chance to guess this one, everyone knows it.

3U5fzZw.png

I love the way it looks, especially since I got Nebula working, but it still has more problems than the Panther and the Skyraider combined. It's too slow with a Wheesley engine, but with a Panther (the engine, not my plane) I get this weird phantom force that forces the aircraft into a roll to the right as soon as it leaves the runway. Even if I manage to keep it airborne, I can't avoid the space center buildings. This happens with gimbal on and off, decreased thrust limit, SAS, extra wide undercarriage... I've tried just about every trick in the book to fix this, but it happens the exact same every single time. Same amount of force, same direction, seems like there's nothing I can do to stop it. I get a feeling like the plane is flipping me the bird whenever this happens, it's just so frustrating...

But hey, I got Nebula working!

So awesome! Really nice work on this one, this is one of my favorite craft ever.......MIG-15

Edited by castille7

34 minutes ago, castille7 said:

MIG-15

*violently resists urge to post facepalm reaction gif*

I should know better than to fall for what is probably a trap, but my clock says it's 11:00 pm, I'm too tired to care, so I'm going to leave this here and not even bother to give the benefit of the doubt.

a2YxeSH.jpg

23 hours ago, castille7 said:

Have you tired flying with an open Cockpit, like remove the heavy Cockpit frame to see it's performance? I'm thinking the speeds will increase a good bit

That would only destroy the looks ... the plane was built for Errordynamics. The shape and complexity makes it worse in NeoAero.

Wanna kill framerate? Here's the way to do it, fly a stock twin turboprop. Lightning performance but tries to kill your CPU. It's not really the part count ... it's the 144 blowers pushing the turbine blades.

Been wanting to build one of these and I just got inspired again by one resently posted on KerbalX

tWVZAXp.png

On 6/14/2016 at 11:01 PM, pTrevTrevs said:

*violently resists urge to post facepalm reaction gif*

I should know better than to fall for what is probably a trap, but my clock says it's 11:00 pm, I'm too tired to care, so I'm going to leave this here and not even bother to give the benefit of the doubt.

a2YxeSH.jpg

I was wondering if you were confused or just sporting a USA logo on the MIG, I know the MIG is not a US Aircraft, I was going easy on you. It seems hardball is prefered here. Keep your eyes on your HUD in the future.

Edited by castille7

10 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

To be fair the F-86 and MiG-15 did look quite similar, though I'm still laughing about that one

Sure, I'll give him that, although I think the MiG-15's elevators are mounted on the vertical stabilizer itself, rather than the point where the fuselage and the tail meet, like on the F-86.

@castille7 don't worry, I've got a MiG-15 planned too.

I started testing the Panther on an aircraft carrier (not my own, it was made by @Redshift OTF).

pJqGtjO.jpg

It takes off really well, especially with the ramp at the front. I haven't been able to test landing it on the carrier yet, as flying with a keyboard makes it really hard to set up an approach and makes precise maneuvers near impossible. I'm also still searching for a functioning arresting system (I know using a bunch of landing legs worked really well before the overhaul, and parachutes are a simple if not accurate possibility).

The VAB and SPH have been in overdrive this week, as I've been designing crafts for a long term plan of mine. Something I'm particularly excited about is the fact that I've made the jump from working with a lot of parts mods to stock parts (in this install, at least). It's been a fun and challenging experience so far. You may have already seen the Omega SSTO being the first sign of this, and tonight I've been working on modules for a ground base on Laythe. So far I've built the core lab module, the hab module and the ISRU/drill module. My current plans will also include an ore and fuel store, and a (large) expedition rover. The final configuration may have two habs. I haven't yet decided. Maybe a communications tower as well? Not sure. I'd welcome any suggestions for modules to add!

Here are a couple photos from a field test I did to see if the ports all lined up. This was just a test configuration, but it looks pretty cool I think

Edited by MrMeeb

Okay... the good news is that I managed to land the Panther on the carrier... the bad news is that a malestrom of bugs prevented me from taking off again and eventually caused me to shut down the game out of frustration.

Spoiler

nejZ2BM.png I already had a carrier at sea and within range of a Panther launched from KSC, so I decided to try a ferry flight to "deliver an aircraft for testing".

lionPux.png

Arriving at the carrier.

7y8OF8N.png

Aaaand it's down safely! I have a landing leg acting as a pretend tail hook, but the real braking power comes from two parachutes.

And here is a rather lengthy bloopers reel because after this first landing the bugs grabbed by by the neck and wouldn't let go for anything.

Spoiler

D53tgXz.png

Alright, let's back up the jet, repack the chutes, and position it for another take off- wait... what is it doing? How is it doing that? 

"Physics" engine, indeed.

D8Tp48w.png

One quicksave later, I land the jet a second time and the same thing happens. My only guess is that the reaction wheels are messing with me, but two small SAS units shouldn't generate enough torque to cause... this.

uaIBkIi.png

Well, maybe if I get the pilot out and have him repack the chutes I can also get him to push the plane back down... and... he's... swimming. He's swimming through the air... Well, forget rockets, this must be the new path to space!

Uh... how much bug testing did Squad do for 1.1.2 again? It could just be one of my mods, but I don't know of any that I have that would mess with the mechanics I see being affected here.

FmRAVYm.png

And now after hacking gravity to try and get him back to the cockpit he's walking on thin air... I swear to God I did not press a single key to make this happen, the game is doing it by itself.

rEH2APC.pngUApPihe.png

And he just keeps walking down the invisible stairway to Hell... or wherever this game is trying to take me. When he got to the water he quit going down but still kept walking in place.

Send help.

I also tried the Mouse Aim Flight mod to try and make it easier to set up the approach to the carrier, and I have one small complaint in that it seems not to work with the Panther. I have no idea why, the jet isn't hard to fly at all, but it doesn't even try to move the jet at all!

15 hours ago, MrMeeb said:

The VAB and SPH have been in overdrive this week, as I've been designing crafts for a long term plan of mine. Something I'm particularly excited about is the fact that I've made the jump from working with a lot of parts mods to stock parts (in this install, at least). It's been a fun and challenging experience so far. You may have already seen the Omega SSTO being the first sign of this, and tonight I've been working on modules for a ground base on Laythe. So far I've built the core lab module, the hab module and the ISRU/drill module. My current plans will also include an ore and fuel store, and a (large) expedition rover. The final configuration may have two habs. I haven't yet decided. Maybe a communications tower as well? Not sure. I'd welcome any suggestions for modules to add!

Here are a couple photos from a field test I did to see if the ports all lined up. This was just a test configuration, but it looks pretty cool I think

Sweet! I like them stock multi-module bases. And this one looks like a million bucks! :)

Now, for the suggestions. First off, how are you going to drop it? Keep in mind that if you build custom descent equipment for each module, it will be hard to land them all close to each other, and you might end up having to drive some of the modules for a long way. If you are going to Laythe, anything that can somewhat glide can give you a much smaller landing ellipse and allow pinpont landings on those tiny islands. And if you made the modules small enough to fit inside Mk3 paylaod bays... well, then SSTOs are not out of the question!

Also, uprighting equipment. Never trust that you can't topple one of your modules, you eventually will, and it will be the only time where you didn't drop a quicksave. Make sure each module can get itself back into its proper orientation after a mishap, at least until the base is fully assembled.

As to aesthetics, they are already pretty cool, but I find it lacks a bit of verticality, while at the same time increasing the sprawly nature of the multi-module assembly with corridors. Perhaps that comm tower? Or, you know, you could put the solar panels vertically, they get awesome insolation in non-equatorial sites that way, and it looks pretty sweet.

Also, IVAs are at thing now that you can see! You have all those poor kerbals sitting sideways, and that is no way to conduct breakthrough snacking sciencing. :wink:

Rune. Deploying these things is one of the most fulfilling things to do in KSP... even if you never use it afterwards.

Edited by Rune

1 hour ago, Rune said:

*words*

Yeah, you make some interesting points. I might need to test the whole tipping over thing. Delivery methods have yet to be designed other than the final stage, which is parachutes and engines. In terms of horizontal modules, I agree, but then at the same time. I don't look at IVAs that often, and find that they look cooler horizontal in this case. Plus, the Hab module is the most stable of them all, so it's the lesser of two evils :P 

2 hours ago, Rune said:

I find it lacks a bit of verticality, while at the same time increasing the sprawly nature of the multi-module assembly with corridors

I'll see what I can do with the vertical nature of the base. I like the ideas of the vertical solars etc

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've never built an SSTO beofre. I've never even flown one before. So, in preparation for a serious career mode run through, I thought "Let's figure out how SSTOs work!"

Spoiler

X1-1%20i.jpg

Ascent was rather... hot

X1-1%20ii.jpg

Like a complete muppet, I forgot how low-thrust NERVAs were. so I left my orbital insertion burn too late, and ended up in a hideously inefficient 110x50km orbit. At this point, I decided to switch off the engines, thinking "I'll just brush into the atmosphere, let it bleed off a little of my excess altitude" (my target was 80x80)

X1-1%20iii.jpg

Which was a bad plan. Once the (mercifully empty) cockpit blew up, the probe in the cargo bay (installed for more or less this exact reason) was wholly ineffective at controlling the ensuing spin. Astonishingly, despite tumbling head-over-heels through 45km of atmosphere, and despite flying a plane that now decidedly preferred to be going backwards at all times, I managed to regain control!

X1-1%20iv.jpg

...briefly

Still, the craft has the specs necessary to make it to orbit, and actually with rather a significant amount of fuel to spare (which will presumably be less so when actually carrying a payload). It's just the pilot that's at fault here ^^;. Still to do; decide if I want to permanently add a probe, attach RCS thrusters (as I didn't realise the Mk2 inline port came with monopropellant supply), and add a solar panel/battery.

Those that know; is the shock cone on the front actually helping me at all here, and would it be a significant drawback weight/drag-wise if I were to replace it with a shielded docking port?

Edited by Orky Kultur

1 hour ago, MrMeeb said:

Thanks for the suggestions!

You are welcome! I'm glad some of them were helpful. :)

And while we are at it, it's been a long-ish time since I showed anything I was working on, so let's correct that. Lately I've been fiddling with the Heinlein/Lackluster line, and the only thing that irks me, is that every time I revisit the concept the ship ends up being less sophisticated in its construction. But it works so sweet!

cYeoxgT.png

Around 40 parts, no hidden clipped parts or fuel lines, and it reenters like a boss (or like the DC-X was supposed to), pointy end first. Mostly because I don't trust that the engines-are-more-streamlined-than-nosecones bug has been fixed yet. A bit scary when the temp gauges start popping, but nothing gets even close to burning up.

And in a completely unrelated tangent, I have also figured out recently another great use for the shuttle rear end... turns out that it's great to make Mk3 rings! The Z-fighting that you usually get when you clip Mk3 fuselages together is very annoying, which is the reason I never showed any, so now that I've fixed that I just have to figure out how to put this... thing into orbit. It's around 36 40m in diameter, and I used the "short" Mk3 sections!

6njkQ5k.png

Rune. I imagine it will involve lots of boosters. :rolleyes:

Edited by Rune