Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

37 minutes ago, Redshift OTF said:

Nearly finished. :)

JNS5tzH.jpg

eArQQ52.jpg

I know it isn't exactly proper to immediately request something like this, but I would love to see more of these, especially the AH-1 Cobra and the UH-60 Blackhawk (the best helicopter in the entire world).

Are you going to put more seats in or just leave it at the two on either side of the transmission? The Huey has two seats on the sides, as well as four across the front of the transmission, and most have two jump seats opposite those.

5 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

I know it isn't exactly proper to immediately request something like this, but I would love to see more of these, especially the AH-1 Cobra and the UH-60 Blackhawk (the best helicopter in the entire world).

Are you going to put more seats in or just leave it at the two on either side of the transmission? The Huey has two seats on the sides, as well as four across the front of the transmission, and most have two jump seats opposite those.

You mean like this?

dsc04940.jpg

Yeah I can do that. I did like the look of an empty deck but I can upload variants if you wish assuming the Kerbals fit ok.

Edited by Redshift OTF

21 minutes ago, Redshift OTF said:

You mean like this?

dsc04940.jpg

Yeah I can do that. I did like the look of an empty deck but I can upload variants if you wish assuming the Kerbals fit ok.

Yep, that's it, except I believe the jump seats are facing backwards (at least they were in the Huey I flew in once), so that their occupants face the occupants in the four seats across the front of the transmission.

If you happen to need any information regarding the Huey, feel free to ask me. I live half an hour away from the largest heliport in the world (or so they say), so I know quite a bit about US Army helicopters.

On 6/13/2016 at 4:14 PM, Azimech said:

Revisited my old stock 0.90 FW 190-A2 ... gave it a modern engine but due to bad aerodynamics, it's still slow. But ... still looking glorious!

profanity amazing.

I've been enjoying blasting the KSC to bits with my Ju 87G (the famed tank buster.)

yWcfCjG.pngNlVAsB3.png

I've also gotten the B-24 Liberator to work in 1.1:

AgNKbwb.png

Taking a long look at the B707, as part of restoring the airliners I had that broke in 1.1. I need to add more detail into those engines.

679oVZA.png

I have been getting back into KSP lately, and I have been trying to finish up my newest SSTO. It is a HUGE craft, designed to haul 3 Kerbodyne S3-14400 tanks into orbit, which means its powered by a load of rapier engines, And according to KER they give me a .6 atmospheric TWR. I have seen plenty of SSTOs get into orbit, on even less TWR, however I am having quite a lot of trouble getting up to speed in my aircraft. It seems like no matter what i do, the plane cannot get over mach 1. I personally belive it is just the very large drag of the very large craft, however I hope there might be a different solution to just adding more engines. Here are some pics; any ideas?

On 21 June 2016 at 7:36 PM, awfulcraftdesigns said:

Might I ask if we are allowed to present complete works that have been tested, but don't want to go through the hassle of making a catalogue sort of thread in Spacecraft Exchange...

If so, I present to you the Hawk X-1, an SSTO that is almost completley stock. I believe there is only like 1 part that is from a mod and that is mainly for refueling. I'll go searching through the craft to find what mods are compulsory. 

So far it can reach Mun and Minmus but not sure of what other planets so it'd be much appreciated to know where else this thing can be taken!

(Also remove the Cooling Panels they tear of as soon as they are deployed)

COMPULSORY MODS:

Rocket Factory

Craft File:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/113345787/Hawk X-1.craft

Action Groups:

1. Togge Whiplash

2. Toggle Aerospike

3. BAM Fuel Generator (From Rocket Factory)

Not at KSP right now, but might I ask why this hasn't gotten any replies? (I know...I need pictures and I'll try to as soon as I can...but some comments would be nice.) Sorry if it seems like begging...I'd just like to see how far this baby can go.

Pictures:

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, pTrevTrevs said:

I think I've got a hard one for you all today, but judging by how easily my other craft have been guessed, this one will probably be guessed within the next half hour.

Sikorsky R-5 or a member of the family ?

Because this replica is well done, so easy to identify. There are not many rotary-wings who got the glazed "gondola" plus the fuselage without any vertical surface, and without counting that nearly all of them were coming from the 40-50's.

So...

Hello everyone!

I have been working with scanner bearings for a little bit now, and just wanted to show this off. As the name of the thread suggests, it can break rather easily, but it can do what it was made to do!

I proudly present: 

The X-04 Quad Mech!

Completely stock, and armed with 4 legs, it can traverse the most difficult terrain!

whMW1sK.png

The view from inside is unblocked as well, so you can pilot it from inside the craft!

23I7OJZ.png

It uses 2 Scanner bearings to power it, plus some others to keep the legs straight.

MBiXzHA.png

It also comes with 2 sets of solar panels to keep it going, although the engine itself doesn't need power.

Tkb6RnP.png

I was able to get it to the moon with a launcher that i built, which you can download as well as just the craft.

FYhbdmm.png

So;

Have fun!

just the Craft, or the Craft and the launcher.

1 to toggle leg movement (Important: only activate after cargo bay doors are open)

2 to toggle bay doors and solar panels

Edited by Spacepigu

On 22 June 2016 at 10:22 PM, Fellow314 said:

I'm almost certain I'll actually finish this one...

The shape is perfect. The lines are beautiful. It's a true work of art! Is it an SSTO or orbital vehicle? For its the latter, I'd love to see the launch vehicle

6 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

The shape is perfect. The lines are beautiful. It's a true work of art! Is it an SSTO or orbital vehicle? For its the latter, I'd love to see the launch vehicle

I finished, it, it's here:

On June 24, 2016 at 6:05 PM, pTrevTrevs said:

I think I've got a hard one for you all today, but judging by how easily my other craft have been guessed, this one will probably be guessed within the next half hour.

On8ROR6.png

N4ZK7V9.png

Can anyone provide me with information on the interior layout of the Sikorsky H-5? Everything I've read tells me it can seat 3 passengers and a pilot, but I can't find anything showing how the seats were arranged. Is it saying that there can be one passenger in the cockpit and two in stretchers outside, or they 3 people can fit in that tiny cockpit?

Most of the tome I've seen two to three souls seated inside with a side by side rear seats configuration.

Some pictures here : 

S48-1.jpg

S48-2.jpg

S48-11.jpg

Sikorsky_-_YR-5A_%28YH-5A%29_%2845645653

Dragonfly_15.jpg

Sole problem is these configurations could be differents between the variants and the operators. The S-51 and some Dragonfly also were able to get two rows of two seats plus the one of the pilot in front, like the first Piper Apache.

2 hours ago, XB-70A said:

Dragonfly_15.jpg

It looks like this picture shows three seats in the back, with a widened cabin, but because Kerbams have heads about three times as wide as their bodies (with helmets), to get them to fit properly the cabin would have to be about nine times as wide as it currently is. I may have to work with the original design of a two seat, tandem cockpit. Do you have any information of whether that variant was used in Korea? This helicopter is going with the other Korean War aircraft I've made, so I want it to be authentic.

On 23/6/2016 at 7:56 AM, Bubbadevlin said:

I have been getting back into KSP lately, and I have been trying to finish up my newest SSTO. It is a HUGE craft, designed to haul 3 Kerbodyne S3-14400 tanks into orbit, which means its powered by a load of rapier engines, And according to KER they give me a .6 atmospheric TWR. I have seen plenty of SSTOs get into orbit, on even less TWR, however I am having quite a lot of trouble getting up to speed in my aircraft. It seems like no matter what i do, the plane cannot get over mach 1. I personally belive it is just the very large drag of the very large craft, however I hope there might be a different solution to just adding more engines. Here are some pics; any ideas?

Those are several open-ended fairings, right? To make a bay that can be opened and closed? If so, it might be that you are just not getting any effect from them other than added weight. IIRC, when open they don't apply the "shielded" tag to the stuff inside, and thus you get awful drag that stops you form going supersonic without a ludicrous TWR.

Rune. Just my two cents.

19 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

It looks like this picture shows three seats in the back, with a widened cabin, but because Kerbams have heads about three times as wide as their bodies (with helmets), to get them to fit properly the cabin would have to be about nine times as wide as it currently is. I may have to work with the original design of a two seat, tandem cockpit. Do you have any information of whether that variant was used in Korea? This helicopter is going with the other Korean War aircraft I've made, so I want it to be authentic.

I'm not totally sure about a three seats in a side by side configuration, it seems like what looks like a third seat is actually the "second" passenger one as the port door is really close to it.

About their combat history I could make a mistake but if I remember correctly nearly all (if not all) R-5/H-5 variants were engaged in Korea for S.A.R. (with dual cocoon litters when it was possible) but also as F.A.C. sometimes.

1 hour ago, XB-70A said:

I'm not totally sure about a three seats in a side by side configuration, it seems like what looks like a third seat is actually the "second" passenger one as the port door is really close to it.

About their combat history I could make a mistake but if I remember correctly nearly all (if not all) R-5/H-5 variants were engaged in Korea for S.A.R. (with dual cocoon litters when it was possible) but also as F.A.C. sometimes.

Alright, I think for the sake of simplicity I will make the earlier variant with the thinner cockpit and two seats. I don't know which wheel configuration I will use though, right now I have tricycle, but I'm considering the older one with a tailwheel. This will let me find information more easily, as the Army Aviation museum near me has at least two H-5 variants, both of which have the smaller cabin. 

I will try and make stretchers, but they may be larger than normal because there is no reliable way to make Kerbals lay down.

I get back from North Carolina sometime tomorrow, so I can resume work soon.

After that I get to tackle the F-86 and MiG-15, hooray! Yak-9 and F4U need to be done too, and possibly the F-82.

For the past few days I've been taken by the idea of building launch towers, and so that's what I've been doing! Using a hinge I stole from @Raptor9, the three 'umbilical'-like platforms fall down and away, and *should* dock to docking ports, as shown in the picture. Sometimes it doesn't work perfectly, but they will still fall sufficiently clear of the rocket this one has been designed for. It's currently 190 parts, and I'm interested in building a whole MLP-esque structure. All stock parts, as has been my style recently, but I might look into welding it down to a lower part count.

Just now, MrMeeb said:

For the past few days I've been taken by the idea of building launch towers, and so that's what I've been doing! Using a hinge I stole from @Raptor9,

I suggested he try using antennas but I meant as part of one of my Thermo hinges. What he did is just use the antennas as the cage and the moving part. From some tests I saw that it is not as reliable as a thermo cage hinge. I would try those if you are having reliability uses.